Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I have a question about the setup for the maft translator with safc 2. I'm using the 3.5 inch maf with 550RC injectors. So, I have searched and I'm confused on one point. I know you are supposed to "zero" out the maft translator, and then fine tune with safc2. My question is, am I supposed to zero out the maft translator to the 3000gt stock injector size aka 360? And then start with the -35 correction factor? Please let me know. Thanks!

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,476 Posts
Either way works; they both serve the same purpose in altering the airflow signal.

Everything on S-AFC or fine adjustments only with injector size done on translator.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well when I read about it, it makes me think I'm doing the setup wrong. I've got my 550s set to like 430s on the translator and doing the rest with the safc2. would I be better off to set my injector size to 360 on maft and then tune from there? from what I read, everyone says it's a - value, with my injectors set to 430 I'm positive values throughout.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
even one of rays videos says he has all of hits values negative, which confuses me lol of course he's prolly using way larger injectors, but my corrections are deff not even close to -35

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,476 Posts
I just said they do the same thing...

Using a "550" setting on the translator is already "-35%" to the airflow signal. It all adds up even though you cannot see it.

The only reason that you would start with that value on an AFC, EMB, EMU, etc. is because you chose "360" instead.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm deff new to tuning. if there was someone local to just tune it for me I'd go that route but unfortunately there isn't. I eventually would like to go chrome ecu

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,476 Posts
Familiarizing yourself with what you have now, analyzing data, and understanding the cause and effect of changes will make the transition easier for you later. People often jump the gun only to get stuck in the water, and then they look even more foolish for producing less than what a simpler setup could have accomplished.

You will get there. Just take your time with careful steps.

Reactions: rez604

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so another question. Does anyone have any information for what program I can use to connect my scanmaster 3 for logging? I really need to be able to log instead of just watching individual items on the scanmaster. I have a palm that i bought second hand, but cannot for the life of me get it to connect to my laptop to download the Mmcd program. I know you can connect the scanmaster to the palm, but i cant figure it out. I hate ancient technology lol. Could i just use my laptop for mmcd and try to get the scanmaster to connect to the program that way?

·
BC3S
'95 RT/TT
829 Posts
i used evoscan to log off of my scanmaster back when i had my gto, i just forgot what cable i used.
can someone else confirm?

(if you're willing to spend a few bucks, I would highly recommend getting LCDBC, it's miles ahead of the SM3 with easy integration with evoscan)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
funny you mentioned that, I messaged blackstealth to see about it! I saw where it has boost control and everything. I'll probably buy one after I see how much they run total shipped. I believe the scanmaster uses the serial to USB? I can't remember

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,476 Posts
If the Palm PDA has an expansion slot for SD/MMC, then just load the program off of a card. Doing the sync with Palm PC software can be a little confusing.

Alternatively, you can try a Palm PDA emulator; some people have had success. Scanmaster 3 is just a pass through to serial connection.

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
IMO you are doing it backwards. What good is the MAF Translator if you zero it out?

I had the same setup as you. I was running SAFC II and 550 injectors for SEVERAL years. Honestly I could never get it to run like I though it should but got it good enough to run for years without changing it with the starting point around -35, sort of. I had it dyno tuned and left it and it worked. 400 WHP but never felt right honestly.

I tried a few different routes like the ProM but never got it to work right due to the translator being bad from the get go and the company screwed me keeping it when I sent it in for repair.

I installed the MAFT about 6 months ago to the specs for the 550 injectors and set my SAFC II to all Zeros. My car has never ran so smooth as it does not with no hesitation or hick ups.

Honestly if I was you I would set your MAFT to the propper setting and the SAFC II to zero and see how you like it and then use the SAFC II to do the fine tuneing if you need to. Honestly I dont think you will.

Reactions: UnlikelyDoc

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,476 Posts
Paul - they do the same thing... just picking your poison. I have tuned many 3S on different fuels with JUST a translator and nothing else (not as versatile but doable)

Reactions: rez604

·
BC3S
'95 RT/TT
829 Posts

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
Paul - they do the same thing... just picking your poison. I have tuned many 3S on different fuels with JUST a translator and nothing else (not as versatile but doable)

Yeah I know they do the same thing, Basically but the SAFC is a lot better for fine tuning where the MAFT is sort of set an go with few options for fine tuning so it just make more sense to me to use the MAFT for the base setting and the SAFC for any tweaking if I need to. So far I havent needed to and still have my SAFC set to all zeros because it runs so much better and smother than it did before.

I still plan on doing some fine tuning once I get my BlackStealth's monitor hooked up or if I decide to go with the EVO scan. Haven't decided what way I want to go yet.

·
One fix at a time
8,272 Posts
For whatever reason on these cars the higher base fuel pressure you have from FPR overrun with upgraded fuel pumps if you aren’t on an AFPR, the leaner the car runs. I know it’s backwards because more cc should run richer but it isn’t that case at idle. You’ll notice that with setting your injector base on the MAFT and then adding 3-4 clicks for low and mid because it’s too lean idling and cruising.

If I remember right, you have 2.5% adjustment with each click of the knob on the MAFT but I don’t recall what the rpm mode % adjustments are. I never went that far with it. You can set the base with the MAF and then fine tune or do certain rpm ranges with the SAFC2.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm still fiddling with it. I just cant get it right. I might actually try using just the maft and making small changes with safc2. Im searching for a Chrome ecu or aem maybe also. Im about tired of messing with the safc/maft. Im doing the ray method where you set your base for injector size on the maft and nothing else, and then using the safc2 to do the rest. I did set my fuel pressure back to what it should be according to the manual, and also have an adjustable fpr with a 255 pump.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IMO you are doing it backwards. What good is the MAF Translator if you zero it out?

I had the same setup as you. I was running SAFC II and 550 injectors for SEVERAL years. Honestly I could never get it to run like I though it should but got it good enough to run for years without changing it with the starting point around -35, sort of. I had it dyno tuned and left it and it worked. 400 WHP but never felt right honestly.

I tried a few different routes like the ProM but never got it to work right due to the translator being bad from the get go and the company screwed me keeping it when I sent it in for repair.

I installed the MAFT about 6 months ago to the specs for the 550 injectors and set my SAFC II to all Zeros. My car has never ran so smooth as it does not with no hesitation or hick ups.

Honestly if I was you I would set your MAFT to the propper setting and the SAFC II to zero and see how you like it and then use the SAFC II to do the fine tuneing if you need to. Honestly I dont think you will.
so, you didnt have to scale the injector size at all? just went with the 550 setting and used the maft only but you have the safc2 to fine tune per rpm, correct? i know if i choose just the 550 maft setting with the combo, the car runs very very lean. I have my injector setting to almost 400cc (ray uses some sort of method like that so the fuel values are in the negative and there is room to add more) of course, im not Ray and suck at tuning

1 - 20 of 22 Posts