Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
LS3S
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

Perhaps this belongs in the body and paint sub-forum, but nobody ever looks there, so here goes.

I found a stealth bumper on ebay that was pretty trashed. It needed a lot of work and I didn't want to pay someone to do it. I had a couple cans of expensive color matching paint laying around, but I wasn't sure I had enough to do the job right and didn't want to order more, so I just decided to Rustoleum it red for now so that it looks at least a bit better. Long story short, I am shocked at how similar the color is! Of course it's not perfect, but it is very difficult to tell that it's not color matching. This is what it looks like straight out of the can with a bit of wet sanding and polishing, it will be even closer as soon as I clear over it and give it some shine and depth. Enough chatting, pictures tell the whole story.

·
Obsessive Carpolsive
2,098 Posts
that is shockingly impressive! nice work

17,468 Posts
That matches surprisingly well. If those are mint 99 turn signals you should sell them and buy the ones Rvenge has for sale that are modified already to fit that bumper.
Thanks for the mention Charlie!

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,324 Posts
Very nice!

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used the same rustolium red to touch up the door jam area. Very close match. But then painted the rest of the car a different shade of red.

·
LS3S
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! It is definitely close! I will eventually clear coat over it and it will likely match even better. I'm happy with it for now.

As for the turn signals, they were absolutely trashed and shattered. They were definitely garbage worthy, but I am rescuing them...because '99.

Sorry, I do not have any stealth signals.

·
LS3S
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a few more. Again, it's not perfect, but with some added depth from clear, it won't stand out much unless you're looking for it or have a keen eye. I'd say it's even less noticeable in person. Looks more "flat" in the pictures.

Also, I need to adjust my ride height, 4x4 mode engaged!

·
TIRED OF WAITING
776 Posts
Did you mention the color of your car somewhere recently?

Clay

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,972 Posts
Red, doh

Bob. ;)

Reactions: MDoe8

·
13,972 Posts
His car is: Firestorm Red R71
Your car is: Red RA1
or Firestorm Red RA8

·
13,972 Posts
Hey!
That is the same color code as my car :)
Next time I redo my calipers, I'm IN! (probably won't be anytime soon, mine still look great :) )

·
13,972 Posts
I know what you're thinking...2006, right?
Still look the same :)

Bob.

·
LS3S
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a 92 stealth with some 94 parts on it. So it's a mix of the first gen red (Firestorm red I believe, but without clear coat maybe?), second gen red (Firestorm red with clear?), and rattle can above.

·
13,972 Posts
92 Stealth is: Firestorm Red R38/RA8
94 Stealth is: Firestorm Red R71

How you got those to match is beyond me :)

Bob.

Oh yeah, HI Mike!

·
TIRED OF WAITING
776 Posts
Mine is caracus(?) red.

Clay

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
wow! good info! My son's front bumper is pretty rough, so will give it a try :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Are you a body shop guy? What products did you use? I never get good results lol. I did find a useful trick of putting the spray paint in some luke warm water to build psi inside the can to help it come out better. But it looks like you used filler and primer as well, did you have to clear coat it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts