Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1741 - 1760 of 1774 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,538 ·
HAPPY FATHERS DAY!
(Mo vids please lol )
lol thank you :D. I have a good one to put together yet. My wife is bugging me. And also a technical one that I think could help a lot of street/race cars.

Reactions: Chang oil

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,542 ·
Just finished reading this entire thread all 3,539 +1 posts!! I have absolutely no regrets work get kinda slow...
That's badass! And also sorry. lol This is at times my personal blog.I did try to catalog all of the technical stuff here though (lots of lessons learned and changes to improve). Unfortunately it's diluted with other BS.
Now ya gotta read the 4g63 swap thread .... lol JK
Oh yeah! That's a good one!! That's a throwback at this point lol. I miss the sh!t talking :p

• Haha
Reactions: Chang oil

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,544 ·
I’m back bitches!

Turn any 4 wire alternator, externally adjustable, with potentiometer for only $2 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,546 ·
With a capacitor you are thinking amperage/capacity, not voltage (more POWA!).

With a 14v battery, charging at 16v it’s like running a “boost a pump” all the time for the fans, fuel pumps etc.

Fuel pumps flow more at 16v than 14v. Look up some flow charts on fuel pumps. They usually chart 12v and 13.5v and you can just estimate what another 2.5v would do :)

Some guys have posted that they have a wild setup on their 12v battery on a Hobbs switch that kicks in a potentiometer type setup so that when they hit boost, the alternator kicks out 15-16v to boost the fuel pump and coils voltage. You can’t do that all the time or will melt the 12v battery but for short burst, it’s okay.

Oh and my first LS alternator was used on eBay and lasted 3 years on 16v with diodes. The potentiometer is just cleaner and adjustable.

On my son’s car, I plan to set his alternator around 14.2’ish volts on a 12v battery.

On my mr2 build, I haven’t decided yet. Probably 12v battery and the same 14’ish but I like the idea of kicking it higher in boost to give the fuel pump and coils some extra kick.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,550 ·
Yeah it’s just a guitar knob. It doesn’t spin very easily though so this is working great so far!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,552 ·
Hi.

Just wanted to check in like an absentee owner of a small business trying not to be absent to make everyone nervous.

Thanks

Cars coming along great as usuall I see.

Been chasing issues for awhile now. But fixed coil wiring was one fix. Also back on e85 instead of M1. Which required re-making intercooler piping.

Seems like I’m back in business and did a couple launches On street that were damn quick. Back to 4wd again too if I haven’t mentioned. Astro awd tcase experiment was a fail. So back to billet chain drive.

At this point, I’m considering the car as “done”. Will race where I can. And start on my next project, 4g63 auto swapping an sw20 MR2. Full street car and plan to “daily” drive it when I actually leave my home office.

Reactions: lawdogg and mdcrose

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,554 ·
4G63 MR2 would be pretty sweet, definetly should do a build thread on here for it if you do.
Already have a rolling chassis, wrap color picked out and a core motor and trans. Lot to buy and do yet though.

Plan on around 600whp with a 2.3l stroker and quick spooling FP/Xona turbo. E85/flex fuel. W2A intercooler (already have that from old LS setup). Likely borrow my 3000 FT550 ecu and just do a wiring harness for now.

Longblock came with ac compressor but I’ll have to get custom lines made in back and the mr2 is missing the condenser at a minimum. Also have the stereo system from 3000 (infinity Bluetooth amp, infinity components and confirmed the 8” kicker fits behind passenger seat).

Big ticket items to purchase yet though. Rotating assembly, cams, springs, FT harness, fortune auto coilovers. Front wheels and tires (stealing the old 18x9.5 with 275’s from front of old 3000 setup for the rear. They fit; just need to roll fenders). ForcedFour shiftbox. Recover stock seats. And who knows what misc crap to get it set up how I want it.

If all goes well, I’ll drive it/race it at Sick Week in Feb down in FL and pop the ttops out and cruise in style.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,557 ·
4g rx8 would be perfect

Reactions: mdcrose

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,559 ·
Set them to private for a bit. They will be back. Something specific you want to watch? I’ll check to see if I want to set it back to public now.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,561 · (Edited)
End of an era. Only place I’ve posted these pics publicly. I’d appreciate if it’s not shared to FB because I really don’t want a million comments and questions. I trust the 3si brethren.

Car had been running like crap in high gear. So I put in new plugs and also added 3-4* of timing. I knew I was super conservative and based on another car I tuned recently, too conservative was causing breaking up. Planned to race the next night at a no prep race so wanted to make sure it was running good. Had a good launch tune up. Just needed to check high gear.

Test road is a little bouncy but it’s straight and no houses. So I launched. Let off. Popped it in high gear and punched it to see if it liked it. It loved the timing. Making more power than ever. Estimate based on fuel flow 1600whp. Power was absolutely amazing. So I let off because I didn’t need to run a full 1/8 (which I have done many times on that road. And I wasn’t dragy’ing.)

Now let’s back up a bit before finishing. Car is 4wd. Not awd. No viscous. LSD in rear. LSD in front. Locked 4wd tcase. I thought with the LSD’s binding would be non-existent. Wrong. If I go for a lap around my house, and pull it into garage, the front axles will be bound up. Jack up the car and the passenger front would rotate backwards 10-15 degrees.

So, best I can tell from memory and the log (fueltech has a g meter), when I let off the gas, lateral G’s went wonky. And it pulled me left and nothing I could do. (In hindsight, if I jumped back on the gas, I bet it would have straightened back out and I could have saved it, but not what I was thinking about when pointed at a ditch).

Car hit the ditch on left side of road. Muddy which dug the front in and launched the car end over end. Second hit was presumably landing on back end. Then a couple more times before coming to rest on passenger side. I turned off ignition. Checked for fire. Checked my body. Un-harnessed and climbed out. Not a scratch on me. Little sore from whiplash and elbow from hanging on to steering wheel, but I wanted to keep my hands/arms in the car. Car did its job and I get to tell the story. (I'm not sore anymore and all good)

So, silver lining. If the same thing happened at the track the next day, the speeds would have been a LOT faster and outcome of my health probably not the same. Also would have been next to another car, concrete barriers and crowd of spectators. I’m thankful and grateful. No sadness at all for the situation, car or outcome.

The car was insured at a declared value. And it only pays if on the street. Not on the track. So another silver lining. I do have the payout now (it’s been 4 weeks since accident). And I also bought the car back to part out the engine, trans, tcase which are all good yet and some misc stuff to sell or use in mr2 (I’ll start a new thread).

I started cutting stuff off the front to get to the motor. turbos removed etc. plan is to drop the drivetrain on blocks in the tow lot (I know the owner) and find someone with a forklift to lift the body off the drivetrain. (Most of which is spoken for already).

Using the fueltech and fuel pumps for mr2. Also trying to save the engine harness because it can be modified for mr2.

Well, it’s been a “ride” to say the least. Be safe gentlemen.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,564 ·
all good guys. it really isn't bothering me. mostly because i'm in one piece to tell the story and hug my fam, and also because i'm obsessing about the mr2 build lol (it will have stock foglights also lol)

also took a new position at another company that is much higher responsibility than i've had before so my head is swirling with shit I need to learn, do, change in the company etc

i do appreciate the love, and felt I owed this group an update for those that followed for so many years

Reactions: mdcrose

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,566 ·
I thought something was up, you've been too quiet! Saw the shifter and seat go up for sale too. Glad you're OK, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

I might have to follow up with you on what's not spoken for yet, got a Pontiac G8 I'm wanting to build.
engine isn't a done deal yet, but it might be overkill for you depending on your plan. 388ci dart shp pro block, 6 bolt heads, dart billet crank, bad bitch comp cam, johnson short travel link bar lifters, etc. i'll be selling it for a nice price though for what it is

That said, i'm also refreshing an aluminum LS3 417ci stroker, that I'll let go for a really good price. longblock with ls3 heads that have new valves, 660 springs with titanium retainers, cam, scat forged crank, scat rods, je pistons

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,571 ·
Here is a dose of something else
Customer states that my AC isn't working....
do you guys make custom AC lines? I'd love to just drop the mr2 off somewhere and have everything custom made to hook up. "most" of the mr2 lines are there but they cut them off at the connection from aluminum to rubber section so the connection is not longer there in engine bay. up front by condenser looks better but some damaged/bent lines.

Fuuuuuuuuu, that thing took a real beating holy crap. Glad our cars still have some steel built into them, or that might have been another story o.o.

The fact that driver side mirror came out intact is impressive, save it as a souvenir, I think it deserves it at that point.

Damn it, you were my go to for 3000gt racing, now where am I suppose to look D:
the car's stock steel didn't do anything to save my ass, it was the cage and harness. period.

niteryder will be racing a 4Gswap 3S soon. He started a build thread here. check it out!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,572 ·
Damn 😶 glad you are okay and were able to walk away. At least you can tell the tale and had your fun and adventures.

Several years ago, I was tuning a car that needed aired up rear tires (likely flat spotted from sitting which I had conveyed to owner). Upon upshifting post-pull, the rear-end blew out, and I had to steer away from jumping median (RWD) which ended with curb, spin, and tree. Definitely felt that shit for a while lol... climbing out window on adrenaline.

Good luck with the new position and MR2! (Forgot you had posted about that a while back)

-sent from my Galaxy S22 Ultra
thanks bud. yeah shit can get wild even at moderate speeds

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,573 ·
Eric, she did her job, you guys made good memories. I'm glad you're okay man. Hope you aren't hurt man
thanks! i'm all good. still have the memories and some of the parts will make it in mr2

Reactions: tensecs2fame

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,578 ·
Thanks Marshall. Yeah haggerty prefers barely modified restorations. Buddy of mine is an agent and he found another company (American Modern) which knew it was a race car. Insured for street not at track. But they did limit how much they would insure it for. We tried higher a few months ago and they wouldn’t bump it up. Better than KBB though.

We are going to try them again for MR2 lol

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,583 ·
You've done well to walk away from that one :)

Do it yourself, that way you can do it your way and put the lines where you want them.....as long as you've got the original hard lines (or at least the pad fittings that go onto the drier, condenser, firewall and pump) it'll be straightforward.

Have fittings welded on to the hard lines by your local radiator shop (either alumnium or steel) and then I recommend you use these things to put it all together:

Over the years I used them on cars, trucks, buses, tractors and I never had one leak. They're quick and easy to use, easy to cut off & change the length of the hose and then you can re-use the fittings. You can assemble them "in place", meaning there's no twisting force applied to the fitting if it's assembled at the wrong angle.

The crimp up ones are nothing but a pain in the ass and I've had a handful of them leak on reassembly (which then requires the fitting to be cut off, another one to be welded on and then re-crimped again). The crimps are also prone to leaking where the hose flexes with engine movement, I haven't had this with the fittings shown above.

You'll need a couple of rolls of hose (two different sizes), an assortment of clamps, a handful of weld on fittings and the tool to squeeze the clamp up. They used to do a starter kit which had everything you needed and was very, very well priced. Once you're done, pressure test it and gas it up/have it gassed up.

Just my 2c.
That looks slick! where do you get the lines, fittings and tools?! It seems I have the fittings that bolt to the components (or at least most) and everything looks like aluminum. And I can weld. Would just need the appropriate aluminum weld on fittings also.

You give me hope :D

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,587 ·
This is what we do at the shop, the primary AC shop closed down this summer, so we're about the only one who make AC lines anymore. We just cut them and silver solder them to new fittings generally, or a similar work around if needed.
where do you live?

Install your flex hoses in spots accordingly but you already know that
less your running semi solid to solid motor & trans mount then this shouldn't matter
Try to hard line most of what you can specially in high heat areas 👍
motor will be solid mounted. but i use flex wherever i can regardless (fuel, boost, brakes, etc). hard lines are just for "flexin" lol

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,590 ·
Arkansas, so a little south of you. Shoot me a PM if you can't get anything going, we can figure something out I'm sure with a little work.
I like this plan!!

1741 - 1760 of 1774 Posts