Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2331 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
So, what you're saying is I should build a 4gswap to make up for you LSing the original 4gswap, right?

Yes that sounds correct :). Still a firm believer in benefits of 4g. A 4g will hold 1400awhp with stock crank and block. A v8 LS typically needs aftermarket on both. Now if going for 1600hp+, than v8 makes a lot of sense since aftermarket block is needed either way. 4g is also a very cost effective 6-800hp option that won't have you listening for rod knock. Plus, Manual or auto, the DSM vendors keep coming up with better parts (because they race;))

I just can't leave well enough alone.

Stock bottom end 5.3 stuff is pretty impressive though. Tune has to be good and bigger the turbo the better.

Brian's 3.4 6g build is badass but I can't stomach the cost of the billet crank, the lead time to get one, and the replacement cost and leadtime when the inevitable happens. I'm an auto fan, so not sure how the w4a33 will hold up to that tq on the street on a regular basis. Thinking you can spend all the money upfront and have no issues is one of the fallacies of the platform. Or then scared to beat on it so good parts and mediocre results. That's just my opinion and path though, which isn't for everyone.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Are you going to tune this motor on the engine dyno.? That's another cool thing about ls motors.

What donnie said. Engine dyno does nothing for me. And auto in chassis dyno is pretty pointless too. I can get it really good on the street and do the rest at the track. Tuning on a chassis dyno requires changes on street and track anyway since it won't load the auto the same so really no point IMO unless I can't tune base tune on he street due to weather or traction.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
You know, I was contemplating leaving the 3s platform for your stated reasons of switching to LS. I was going to go the Camaro route actually but I cannot afford to buy a car, and then modify it as I would get peanuts for my car.

I really hope its a easy swap, and you come out with a cost effective kit so a guy like myself could buy a ls and drop it in. Man it would be nice to just have a good motor with tons of support that you can beat the living shit out of, and not worry about spinning a bearing or even worry about finding a stupid little bearing (inputshaft bearing) without paying a fortune for. This 3s platform is getting super annoying. I dunno, I just see my buddies drop 3k for a billet crank stroker kit meanwhile our BC stroker kit is 5k + with 2 less cylinders to worry about perfect example lol.... But yah I wish I could be there and help you out to speed this up cause I'm super excited for you heheheheh.....

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
It is in no way going to be an easy swap or bolt in or drop in. Buy a fox body mustang or a camaro if you want that.

Even IF I offered a subframe (which I haven't even started on yet, just the basic design and dimensions)...firewall needs cut, tunnel cut. New tunnel formed and welded. Throttle pedal will need moved and modded. Brake lines made for firewall and to mustang hubs/brakes. Steering column modification including welding. Trans mount will not be bolt in. I'm welding tabs to the body/frame. Custom driveshaft (or in my case, modified stock)

If I haven't been clear enough, this is not a "swap". This is a custom car build. If you want cheap, reliable horsepower, and access to tons of aftermarket...4Gswap.

Or buy a foxbody. K members available for any engine you want for $500-800. I actually thought about it. Probably should have done it. lol.

·
One fix at a time
7,762 Posts
New Harness laid out on kitchen floor.

Soooo nice. I'm not used to this! Once I get it up and running and see if I can find fault with ms3pro; if it's all good, I'm going to talk to them about a PNP for 3000. The features are on par with infinity, haltech, and proefi but priced less than AEM v2. Has built in 4 bar map sensor too. Could be a great option for 3Sers.

Matt at DIYAutoTune was great to work with. He even told me what I/O to use for the features I told him I'm going to set up.
That would be really sweet. I have an AEM v2 on the shelf, thought about an Infinity, and if there was more MS support I would definitely give it a shot. Coming up with the time to figure it all out could take me awhile.

You know, I was contemplating leaving the 3s platform for your stated reasons of switching to LS. I was going to go the Camaro route actually but I cannot afford to buy a car, and then modify it as I would get peanuts for my car.

I really hope its a easy swap, and you come out with a cost effective kit so a guy like myself could buy a ls and drop it in. Man it would be nice to just have a good motor with tons of support that you can beat the living shit out of, and not worry about spinning a bearing or even worry about finding a stupid little bearing (inputshaft bearing) without paying a fortune for. This 3s platform is getting super annoying. I dunno, I just see my buddies drop 3k for a billet crank stroker kit meanwhile our BC stroker kit is 5k + with 2 less cylinders to worry about perfect example lol.... But yah I wish I could be there and help you out to speed this up cause I'm super excited for you heheheheh.....
You should put your car back together, leave it at 700AWHP, have fun with it, and start saving up to get into another platform to go fast. These cars are a huge money pit to make reliable and big power. The results are cool no doubt, but not worth it imo. Very few are using them for racing events and things are bound to break. I think on a few of us actually have the coin to keep up with that. A decade ago it was more exciting.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
That would be really sweet. I have an AEM v2 on the shelf, thought about an Infinity, and if there was more MS support I would definitely give it a shot. Coming up with the time to figure it all out could take me awhile.

You should put your car back together, leave it at 700AWHP, have fun with it, and start saving up to get into another platform to go fast. These cars are a huge money pit to make reliable and big power. The results are cool no doubt, but not worth it imo. Very few are using them for racing events and things are bound to break. I think on a few of us actually have the coin to keep up with that. A decade ago it was more exciting.
I'm not sure of how many other platforms you're around, but all racecars break from time to time, even no expense spared builds.

·
One fix at a time
7,762 Posts
I'm not sure of how many other platforms you're around, but all racecars break from time to time, even no expense spared builds.
I’ve been around a number of them and helped on friend’s builds too. I know things will break it’s just harder when you could be risking a $8k+ billet crank motor and $6k built transmission with months and months of lead time on replacement parts. Not worth it if you want to race every season. That’s what made the 4G auto swap very desirable, cost, availability, and plethora of parts. I don’t have much room to speak because I won’t ever do a $40-50k+ build to race. $20-30k on another platform would be more rewarding plus the ability to have multiple platforms at the same time than be stuck on one.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)

Yep which was the point I was trying to make. 4g and domestic builds are effective race cars or extreme streetcars because breaking 6g unobtanium parts doesn't make sense (to me anyway.) When it breaks, I want to run the next weekend. Was hoping the 6g billet crank group buy would take off. Get those down to $2k and on the shelf, and then we would have something!!

I have 3 4g cranks and 2 4g spare blocks. I could build another 2.0 or 2.4 1000hp engine in a week. Order off the shelf pistons/rods that extremepsi will ship that week and slap it together.

LS stuff is similar. Except for balancing. Aftermarket rods and Pistons need a crank balance. But easy access to parts like the 4g is nice. I'll be using stockls9 head gaskets which are easy to get and around 40 bucks. Typically no issues at 1000whp if you don't do "all the timing" tune. Alternators, waterpumps etc are all available at autozone and usually in stock.

Me and my local buddies are planning a cross country trip for our 40th birthdays (couple years). We were going to build a ratty old car, roadkill style, for the trip, but all of us already have rides so my goal is cross country, down the coast and back in my 3000. Wife will join me for part of it. LS and powerglide parts are everywhere just in case

I’ve been around a number of them and helped on friend’s builds too. I know things will break it’s just harder when you could be risking a $8k+ billet crank motor and $6k built transmission with months and months of lead time on replacement parts. Not worth it if you want to race every season. That’s what made the 4G auto swap very desirable, cost, availability, and plethora of parts. I don’t have much room to speak because I won’t ever do a $40-50k+ build to race. $20-30k on another platform would be more rewarding plus the ability to have multiple platforms at the same time than be stuck on one.
Edit: you posted when I did. We agree. BUT, you are a 3Ser, 4Gswap it and race it!!! If auto and drag isn't your thing, PPG dog box.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
If you gut the car and run an auto you can build a solid 6g based 9 second car for fairly cheap. It's the 800+ whp builds that get expensive.

As several people have shown it's possible to get a 3s down to dsm race weight. They have the exact same wheelbase, the 3s's just have a lot of extra stuff.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Arguably could be cheaper even. 6g autos cost less than 4g on average but are getting harder to grab. Stock longblock 4g and 6g hold about the same HP. Already have the desirable rear diff. Build your own single kit or grab a used td05 or t3 kit. Cut all weight. All of it. Stock crank would be fine at that power for awhile if tuned right.

But wheelstands and burnouts is the life for me!

A 2.4 AWD colt still sounds like a blast too!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Time to build your 1/8 mile car donnie! Show us how it's done with a 6g!

Edit: I'd recommend the 94+. Same as 2g DSM auto.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
The 6g and 2g trans probably wouldn't fit in my car. The non lockup transmissions are shorter.

But I do have a grinder and welders.....

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The 6g and 2g trans probably wouldn't fit in my car. The non lockup transmissions are shorter.

But I do have a grinder and welders.....

I meant in a good looking 3S ;)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Subbed. This will be pretty cool.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)

Rota has a 15x8 that is the similar style as my current street tire setup. This could work well for hard tire racing.

Anyone have recommendations for 200 treadwear 15" tire that I can air down a bit? 27-28" Sno tire? I think MT has some real street tires too. Has to be a radial, but doesn't need a hard sidewall.

·
Resident Street Racer
5,605 Posts
hey man, finally back and not surprised to see you at it again! You already had a record setting setup previously and now you've really outdone yourself! I'm glad you stuck with the 3s platform, we need innovators like you!

I dont know how you have the time to do what you do, and you said it best, this is no longer a swap, it really is building a car from scratch. TBH, its really beyond me, you're a true junkie and gearhead :D

Anyways, looking forward to your progress. When do you expect to get it running?

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Original plan was by May 18 for a no prep in Indiana but deciding to recess the engine and flu way too much is making that look unrealistic. We'll see.

Anyone with "hard tire" recommendations? A radial that is barely a radial. 200 tread. And I'll soak them in vht for a couple weeks to soften them and turn them into a drag radial.

41 - 60 of 2331 Posts