Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2565 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I imagine the viscous lsd won't like the amount of tq it's going to try to manage. I still think street and autocross will be fine. It may surprise us at track too! (Hopeful :)) I'll try to be easy on the launch and creep into it the aggressiveness. Trans brake is going to be harsher than footbrake but will be fun.

I won't put any money or effort into Montero rear. Too much of a gamble when ford 8.8 IRS holds and is cheap. There are also 9" and 9.75" IRS options for big money. I don't want solid axle because I don't want a mini tub and room for diff. I like my flat panel in back now that garrett cut out the tire hump.

A few 4g DSMs did solid rear with their awd setups. Weight savings vs 3S diff and IRS. Improving anti squat can help awd big time too, but I'm dead set on keeping IRS.

Edit: 3S body swap on a lowered 4wd Montero could be cool idea for someone!!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I doubt I'll finish first. A lot to do and I've been sick a lot this winter. Flu took me down twice now. And also likely taking an offer at a new company.

So many projects I am doing with this too. Like a side exit on a valve so I don't have to swap exhausts. Line lock for big burnouts :D metric and standard brake fittings and new lines will be fun.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
New Harness laid out on kitchen floor.

Soooo nice. I'm not used to this! Once I get it up and running and see if I can find fault with ms3pro; if it's all good, I'm going to talk to them about a PNP for 3000. The features are on par with infinity, haltech, and proefi but priced less than AEM v2. Has built in 4 bar map sensor too. Could be a great option for 3Sers.

Matt at DIYAutoTune was great to work with. He even told me what I/O to use for the features I told him I'm going to set up.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Here you go Ryan:)

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Damn dude this is amazing, I would love to do this. But feel as if I don't have the skill to do so.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Damn dude this is amazing, I would love to do this. But feel as if I don't have the skill to do so.

Thanks but I may not either. "in for partout"

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

I pulled mock up back out last weekend to cut some more firewall. My 5 year old was "snuggling" with glide. Fell asleep 2 mins later. This is a family effort. He has been bugging me for a long time to do wheelies. Hopefully diff can hold. 13 year old is excited to do Vlogs. Girls are ready for races. Wife, wants me to finish the basement and build a garage so she can have a spot again. ?

·
No longer in KY
2,354 Posts

I pulled mock up back out last weekend to cut some more firewall. My 5 year old was "snuggling" with glide. Fell asleep 2 mins later. This is a family effort. He has been bugging me for a long time to do wheelies. Hopefully diff can hold. 13 year old is excited to do Vlogs. Girls are ready for races. Wife, wants me to finish the basement and build a garage so she can have a spot again. ?
I added a 3rd car to my garage and told my wife that she wouldn't need to worry about parking outside any more. She's currently outside and has been for weeks lmfao. We find new ways to take up the extra space we gain. 2 money jobs taking 2 spots. My car up in the air waiting for wider wheels to come back taking up the 3rd. My truck is outside currently without a trans. It goes in next and I have 3-4 more money jobs lined up waiting to come in. She'll be outside for a good while yet.

Back on track, cool build especially with the ms. My foxbody friend is gonna try ms. He's been trying to get me to convert to be the guinea pig before he gets his running.

Was hp tuners ever a consideration when you were researching? I would figure that to be a potential cost savings to do vs an aftermarket ecu.

Keep the progress coming. This interests me way more than the less is more approach you previously did.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
mind me asking how much you have into this?

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Was hp tuners ever a consideration when you were researching? I would figure that to be a potential cost savings to do vs an aftermarket ecu.

Keep the progress coming. This interests me way more than the less is more approach you previously did.

Jeff

No interest in HPtuners for this build. I have too many add ons and HPTuners can have issues with the power I eventually want to make. Add ons...ecu boost, boost trimpot, wheel speed sensors front and rear, traction trim pot, flex fuel, nitrous input switch and output to solenoid, trans brake input and output, trans brake interrupt (bumpbox), shifter electric solenoid output (auto upshift)....I think that covers it. (Don't have my spreadsheet in front of me)

I'll be helping tune a locals turbo truck. He's blown it up a couple times already on mail order HPTuner tunes. So I should have some experience in the next couple of months.

Hopefully my buddy gets a PNP ms2 for his turbo foxbody. A chip tune that came with his kit blew a HG. I'd rather use ms3 but no PNP and I don't want to rewire the whole thing. Hopefully ms2 has ecu boost. Regardless, dialing in fuel and timing is going to help a lot.

mind me asking how much you have into this?
I'd have to check my spreadsheet but I think it's $14k with the trans/converter. ($5375). That's just for the swap, turbo, injectors, etc. Not my car, cage, suspension, wheels, fuel pump, cell etc. The swap could be done for a lot less if just iron block and a stock 4l80e and cheaper converter.

This is not a swap for the average user. "Swap" isn't even the right word. I'm basically building a car from scratch.

There is one complete that someone posted on FB. I don't have any info. Engine bay looks awesome but hood hump kills it for me (as does the iroc z mullet theme outside). Looks like it's a professional build and a solid axle rear. Recess firewall slightly. Like I said, engine bay looks sweet. Likely a cxracing header kit, elbows and gt45 (67mm) turbos. Should make some steam.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yeah, mdoe8 on this forum was working on it for about 4 years. Eventually did a start up video but never drove it. Haven't seen anything in a long time. I messaged him but no response.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,781 Posts
This! :muahaha: No. lol

I'm all in for this build! Show us the magic familyman. :burnout: Wasn't there a red stealth on Youtube attempting this sort of swap?
fairly certain there's a successful 440 swap out there somewhere

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
fairly certain there's a successful 440 swap out there somewhere

There is. His has been running forever. Full tube front chassis though. I can't do that for any of the no prep racing I want to do. Modifying the firewall will be pushing it.

And on the forum, someone documented an old school sbf swap. He has a YouTube channel doing rat rod builds.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is. His has been running forever. Full tube front chassis though. I can't do that for any of the no prep racing I want to do. Modifying the firewall will be pushing it...

VR440 is such a wicked car!

While I am not really much of a Bowtie fan, those LS engines can make great, reliable power relatively cheap.

You’ve given me a reason to jump back onto the forums to see this one through.

Should be a cool build to watch unfold, Eric.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk Pro

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for the kind words guys. This build will get finished. You guys know that!

I will miss AWD, and a lot of back and forth with myself. Where I'm setting the engine, a trailblazer SS drivetrain WILL sit right. But the weight penalty is huge, complexity ramps up even higher, and then how much will I spend on trans, tcase, diff and axles to keep them from exploding at 8-1000wtq.

RWD will make for an exciting drive on the street with less HP. I don't have anyone or anyplace to competitively mexico race so rolling burnouts should add to the giggle factor.

I've done a lot of research and have a solid plan (I think), but certainly open to input and discussion. That's why I posted instead of waiting for the first burnout vid. Figure we can all learn along the way.

The control arm and subframe design is pretty cool IMO. Making it highly adjustable. Even allowing of spacing the control arms fore and aft for big changes in caster. Then double adjusters on each arm so final tuning can be done on the rack without unbolting the heim. Not sure why almost no one does it like this. I actually did more research on drift car builds than anything else. Top level guys have highly engineered setups and trick parts.

If I wasn't sitting in the hot tub with the flu (again), I'd be posting some progress pics. Early Jan to today have not been myself so severely affecting my progress.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Are you going to tune this motor on the engine dyno.? That's another cool thing about ls motors.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,781 Posts
So, what you're saying is I should build a 4gswap to make up for you LSing the original 4gswap, right?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Are you going to tune this motor on the engine dyno.? That's another cool thing about ls motors.
A setup like this would do best getting tuned at the drag strip. You have no idea how the engine will be loaded until it's in the chassis driving due to the torque converter and turbo. It's also a lot of work to get the tune solid during shifts when the engine rpm gets pulled down under wot.

21 - 40 of 2565 Posts