Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
3241 - 3260 of 3274 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,241 ·
well, Dart block didn't get done in time. Still waiting on pistons.

Decided to give this old stroked iron 5.3 another chance. compression test showed one head was down 20-25psi. Surprisingly, not the one I expected, so glad I checked. Pulled the head; only one cyl was blown (athena ring blew on block side), but clearly the whole head wasn't happy with all cylinders down on compression.

swapped head to a well worn and welded multiple times, PRC head. Also has athena ring cuts in it from when I ran it before. hit it with a sanding block and put it in with LS9 MLS gasket. Compression now matches other side.

Tomorrow, I'll put it the rest of the car back together and test it. Just needs to last 3 passes to get me into the finals next week for a shot at $10k.

·
Marshall Taylor
1,242 Posts
Good luck! Hopefully, the iron block and well worn/welded heads will allow you to grab some cash.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,501 Posts
Ugh.
This was not the post I wanted to read this morning :(
I was hoping that the build went AWESOME and that you would get some testing done soon.

I wish you the best with what you have to work with.
As always, I know you will give it your ALL.....

Bob.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,245 ·
FAIL :(

Gasket didn’t even hold one launch on street.

Car is down until I get good parts in it. So I wait. And wait some more.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,501 Posts
Any chance you'll still make the Aug 27th race?
As always, best of luck...

Bob.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,249 · (Edited)
no racing this weekend. going to be a bit. "maybe" have shortblock next weekend. prototype heads will be a bit longer than that.

new motor is 388ci. (4.125" bore, 3.622" stroke). Big port heads. Basically a big 1g 4g63 build.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,251 ·
lol no. But same rod ratio, hog square intake ports and short runner intake :D

DOHC 4g would be a ford mod motor. Those things are actually more like a v8 honda k motor. Make awesome horsepower per lb/min of turbo. Take up too much room though. good ole pushrod motor is small.

Reactions: MDoe8

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,252 ·
still waiting :(

working on my daughters 1995 SL auto I bought. Need to pull trans and take it to my trans guy for a full refresh, Slips to the moon in 3rd sometimes.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,254 · (Edited)
daughter was begging for one. Just got her license and decided based on budget we've been doing for her older siblings, she figured a 3000GT is a lot "cooler" car then a cheap sedan.

unfortunately, i thought it would be a simple end clutch change on trans which I can do without removing trans. did not work. So now i have to pull trans and talked my powerglide builder into going through it for me. he wasn't happy about it, won't warranty it since "hard parts" aren't available, but will put in new seals, orings, clutches,, plus have the converter cut open, cleaned and rebuilt. If it requires hard parts, like a clutch basket, I can find those on the used parts market. I can rebuild them, but he has all of the special tools and obviously a lot more experience with auto transmissions so it will be done better than I can do it.

it also has leaky valve stem seals, which i really don't want to do either, but trying an additive conditioner that I've seen good reviews on. we'll see. seems quite a bit better already, but not perfect.

yesterday i drove it in to town to get it titled and registered, and also got the flexpipe replaced and cat cut off and test pipe installed (both were leaking badly). sounds pretty good. and car has plenty of power for her,,,, even though she is also begging for a turbo already. Not happening lol. Although I did think about a little remote turbo setup to replace muffler. So who knows. If car ends up being reliable, it may get a little 7psi setup for a graduation present. lol

Reactions: Kardon

·
Registered
377 Posts
What additive conditioner are you using? I also would like to avoid doing my VSS lol.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,256 ·
What additive conditioner are you using? I also would like to avoid doing my VSS lol.
This is what I used

Photo dump....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kardon and mdcrose

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,257 ·
still smoking some. not magic yet, but does seem a little better.

I love driving her car!

Reactions: Kardon

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,258 ·
oh, and my pistons finally shipped to builder, so I should have shortblock in 1-2 weeks. Hopefully heads are done by same time. Only a month later than I want but should still have some racing left in midwest, and I'll go south this fall/winter if car is working well.

Reactions: MDoe8 and mdcrose

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,259 ·
Well, since this has turned into my Blog, we had a mishap this weekend. Pouring rain, newly paved road (oily) and a young driver didn’t mix well. (He wasn’t going fast, but also not enough caution for the conditions). Fortunately he and his buddy were okay, and it was a low speed slide off into a giant ditch. But pretty sure car is fucked.

It sheered the ball joint off at the control arm. Steering rack is stripped. Passenger side of headlight bucket is not where it’s supposed to be. Front fender trash. And unfortunately the passenger door doesn’t line up right anymore. The glass doesn’t close/seal.

I have to get it home, then will assess if it’s fixable, or if we transfer it all to the mr2.

Somehow, the headlights and carbon hood are unscathed too.

I think Rear glass is broken because subwoofer box went for a ride. (Can’t make it to the front because cage protects passenger compartment).

Again, boys are good physically. My son, not great emotionally. The car has a lot of memories already. And his Rocky Mountain windshield banner and car number still on the windshield choked us both up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: lawdogg
3241 - 3260 of 3274 Posts