Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

3101 - 3120 of 3167 Posts

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,227 Posts
Does this mean that you really didn't have spark on #1?
And you're using a stock ECU?

Puzzled....

Bob.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,102 ·
Does this mean that you really didn't have spark on #1?
And you're using a stock ECU?

Puzzled....

Bob.
Ms3pro. I had spark. Just at the wrong time when fuel isn’t there anymore.

I have no idea how that happens on only one cylinder. But I guess it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
15,227 Posts
Doh.
What a DUMB statement (on my part about the stock ECU). I guess I never picked up on which ECU you were running (I thought it was an AEM).

Hope you can get a replacement POST HASTE!!!

Bob.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,104 ·
all good. I have trouble keeping up with what's in my car anymore, don't expect anyone else to remember what's in it! lol.

I bet they'll have one in stock. I just don't want to pay retail. Hoping they give me the same deal I got when I bought this one but they had a different sales VP at the time and he had given me a sweet deal to help us out. But if I buy a new one, then send this one back to get fixed, I'll have a spare which I can use for MR2 when I eventually build it. or put it on my wife's '66 mustang fastback that we still need to pick up from her sister. Would be funny to put LS coils, fuel injection, etc on an old 289ci small block ford.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Looks freakin great dude and glad to hear you solved your issue. It actually didn’t even occur to me, that your issue could’ve been your ECU (since it ain’t one from a 3S..lol).

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,106 ·
I had thought about it but couldn't see how it ran so well on the other 7 cylinders but when new motor didn't work it was the last thing left that I didn't change.

Tonight I started working on installing interior LED light strips in my car and putting interior back together, but my son talked me into helping install a 2 step switch on his car. I had it just set off vehicle speed and it would hang on the 2step limiter for a bit on a launch until it read speed, but now we have it on a button. Lauches much better now. And he has 65% ethanol in it too so added timing in the flex fuel map. Pulls a lot harder also. 21psi from a 16g on a totally stock 7bolt engine, stock auto trans and converter (just a shift box so no line pressure reduction). It shifts so hard on the 1-2 shift, it tries to rip the steering wheel out of your hand with tq steer. A ton of fun! (not really that fast but it's a blast)

We are going to try to make it to a Test n Tune and No Prep race at an air strip an hour from us on friday evening so he wanted to be able to launch better. He's never been down a track yet, so good place to test for him. Hopefully I can get my car ready in time and can test then race in the unlimited class.

·
15,227 Posts
Not taking away from your car, it really is refreshing to hear how you work with your son.
I bought my 15 yr old middle son a VR4 and most thought I was NUTS.
He still has it (at 30), was never irresponsible (as far as I know) and I don't regret the decision to get it for him.

My youngest owns a Tesla (damned kids make more than I ever did) and the oldest drives a $50K Tundra. Sheesh.

If I haven't said it before (but I think I have), I love reading this thread.....

Bob.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,108 ·
Not taking away from your car, it really is refreshing to hear how you work with your son.
I bought my 15 yr old middle son a VR4 and most thought I was NUTS.
He still has it (at 30), was never irresponsible (as far as I know) and I don't regret the decision to get it for him.

My youngest owns a Tesla (damned kids make more than I ever did) and the oldest drives a $50K Tundra. Sheesh.

If I haven't said it before (but I think I have), I love reading this thread.....

Bob.
thanks bob :D

yeah it has been a great decision for us too. my son plays a lot less video games (almost none now), gaining a ton of confidence, meeting new people, and now going to work for my cousin's husband (who has built a high end detailing business). The car hobby brought him to all of that.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,899 Posts
all good. I have trouble keeping up with what's in my car anymore, don't expect anyone else to remember what's in it! lol.

I bet they'll have one in stock. I just don't want to pay retail. Hoping they give me the same deal I got when I bought this one but they had a different sales VP at the time and he had given me a sweet deal to help us out. But if I buy a new one, then send this one back to get fixed, I'll have a spare which I can use for MR2 when I eventually build it. or put it on my wife's '66 mustang fastback that we still need to pick up from her sister. Would be funny to put LS coils, fuel injection, etc on an old 289ci small block ford.
Seeing its the ecu, and it was a bad ground/grounding issue that may have caused it, have you tried reflashing everything to the ecu? The grounding issue could have corrupted the map, and reflashing it might fix it. Can't hurt at least while you're waiting for a new one.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,110 ·
Already troubleshooted with ms3pro. They have a simple test for the injector driver and it failed. (Should see 24volts but I see battery voltage)

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,899 Posts
Already troubleshooted with ms3pro. They have a simple test for the injector driver and it failed. (Should see 24volts but I see battery voltage)

Hey, was worth a shot. Hope you get the replacement quickly. Can't wait for more running video.

Reactions: OhioSpyderman

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,112 ·
Hey, was worth a shot. Hope you get the replacement quickly. Can't wait for more running video.

They gave me a great discount on a new one with universal harness. Ships today for Friday delivery.

It will likely end up in the Mr2 roller I bought for a basic 4Gswap.

Reactions: mdcrose

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,113 ·
new ecu shipping for Friday delivery. picking up lexan windows tomorrow. may end up putting stock glass in fiberglass doors for now since lexan will take some work with making frames and having it removable for driving in 100* weather.

·
15,227 Posts
Well, unless I'm mistaken, you've missed two (?) of your planned races?
When is the next "track" day?

I'm like "Fluffy" (man, that sounds WEIRD) as I can't wait for more video/pics either!!!

Bob.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,115 ·
Yeah missed two that I wanted to do. Will be a scramble to make Friday’s with a complete and tuned car but going to try.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
And I know what fried ecu. When I first tried start it it a couple weeks ago, battery ground was loose and a lot of stuff was pissed off. Apparently ecu also. Oops.
Can you spot anything obvious burnt up on the ECU? When I STI swapped my 98 Impreza 2.5rs and went to do the first start, smoke started coming out of my passenger side floorboard where the ECU was. I had forgot to to hook up grounds to the engine so it was trying to ground itself every way possible. I opened up the ECU and where the pins come out for the ecu and make a 90 degree turn to the connector they actually had a thin spot notched into the pins. Thats exactly where the trace burnt up. I bridged them with a small piece of wire and some solder, added some engine grounds, and it's been fine for 8+ years. I ended up lucking out.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,117 ·
No because I didn’t even take the cover off. No reason to when it’s getting fixed by the makers.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,118 ·
Picked up my tinted Lexan. By feel, Two sheets are lighter than one stock glass. Unfortunately since they couldn't mimic the curves, they didn't come trimmed so I'll have quite a bit of work involved. They have just one curve in the lexan from top to bottom but stock has an additional curve front to back.

Going to try putting stock glass, rails and manual regulators in fiberglass doors instead for now since I’m short on time.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
So just assuming, would you have to heat up the plexiglass windows, to get it formed correctly? Definitely sounds like a PITA.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,120 ·
So just assuming, would you have to heat up the plexiglass windows, to get it formed correctly? Definitely sounds like a PITA.
No, I’ll bend the frame to stock glass, then just screw the lexan to the frame tabs. It will pull it in as needed.

Stock glass and manual regulator worked though :). With window up and door closed it’s solid. But window down, its pretty floppy.

3101 - 3120 of 3167 Posts