Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

2941 - 2949 of 2949 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,941 ·
slides, shorts and tshirt is the usual attire.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,942 ·
Is your front engine plate pinned to the block? If not I would be concerned about the plate passing through the gasket side of the water flanges. Without tight fitting pins, at peak torque, the engine likely overcomes friction and takes up the clearance in the plate's thru holes, shifting the gaskets on the sealing surfaces. Maybe it only moves once and stays sealed. Maybe it moves back and forth and reduces the gasket life in a way you'll never notice. Maybe it means frequent leaks. Maybe I'm a parranoid dumbass lol. Hopefully I'm wrong but I'd try to find a way to install pins or cut around the water flanges.
It's very tight on all of the water pump/pipe and also bolts through plate for alternator. It's a tight fit. May as well call it "pinned" especially since it's 6 oddly placed water pipe bolts plus a couple alternator bolts, plus friction as you noted. It's not a novel approach to mounting an LS; that said, it is still a bit weird for me too! lol I have tested with a floor jack many different spots on diff and motor and can jack up the front of car without any engine movement.
I also have a mid-plate between engine and trans, plus the front diff attaches to engine and chassis. Engine seems solid. I don’t even plan to run a trans/tcase mount at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AdamVR4

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,943 ·

Filling problem solved.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,944 ·

·
Marshall Taylor
1,204 Posts
It appears the Cooling System Pressure Cap is located at the highest point of the cooling system which is most desirable. That’s awesome and the best utilization of space.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,946 · (Edited)
It appears the Cooling System Pressure Cap is located at the highest point of the cooling system which is most desirable. That’s awesome and the best utilization of space.
That’s actually just the fill cap but yes it’s high point up front. Pressure cap is in back on a surge tank in hatch which should be the overall high point and is filled about half way so has a cushion of air that would blow-off first into overflow tank.

When I blew up this last motor, I did pressurize the whole system and ballooned my radiator a bit. Almost need a high flow blow-off valve for situations like that to protect the rad and have it dump behind the rear tires. The cap relief is too small to flow enough.

·
Marshall Taylor
1,204 Posts
That’s actually just the fill cap but yes it’s high point up front. Pressure cap is in back on a surge tank in hatch which should be the overall high point and is filled about half way so has a cushion of air that would blow-off first into overflow tank.

When I blew up this last motor, I did pressurize the whole system and ballooned my radiator a bit. Almost need a high flow blow-off valve for situations like that to protect the rad and have it dump behind the rear tires. The cap relief is too small to flow enough.

Sir, You know your stuff. Well done.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,948 ·
Sir, You know your stuff. Well done.
Nah, just willing to make mistakes and learn! A lot easier to do that on a hobby than professionally or personally.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,949 ·
still waiting on Tcase and axles. Kinda important for 4wd. Bugging the two companies every week and now kicking it up to every other day. Both were supposed to be done already.

Removed turbo kit to finish one manifold and taking all of the hot parts to a powdercoater to get them black Cerakoted. Including downpipe too. Want it all blacked out and cooler temps. I have titanium exhaust wrap also if needed.

2941 - 2949 of 2949 Posts