Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

2701 - 2720 of 2729 Posts

·
Marshall Taylor
1,154 Posts
I wanted to get rid of pop ups because they are heavy and can delete all of the stock wiring if I get rid of the pop up complexity.
--She likes the popups and fogs. And says I can't change it after trolling the internet for so long about it. lol

We also have another car that I bought specifically for No Prep racing that I haven't posted about yet. Nomie helped me find a sw20 mr2 roller. Going to 4g63 auto swap it. ~60% rear bias for no prep, and should end up around 27-2800lbs race weight without a lot of exotic parts or cutting. Will take some heavy cutting to fit 28x10.5's though. Oh, and it has t-tops :D

So I think I may have come to the conclusion of modifications on my 3000. Want to get the bumper resprayed again, maybe a new hood to replace my beat up one, and one of my aluminum blocks. Mr2 will take some time to build so 3000 will be my race car until it's ready; then it will likely become my wife's race car.
Erik,

You are keeping this forum alive. Thank you Sir. When you get started building the sw20 mr2 roller please keep us posted as you have on previous builds.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,702
forum is dead lol.

Yeah, I'll put up youtube vids and probably build blog it here too. need a money tree on this one though. Going straight from nothing to full build is hard to stomach. Honestly thought about parting out my 3000.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,705
You mean the red one right?
red one is my son's. It's 4Gswapped already. Just need to finish fuel, wiring and driveshaft.

I've contemplated many times this year selling/parting my green car.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,706
mr2 will become my race car. green car will end up a back up race car, which is kinda dumb. I think I'd rather have a clean, charcoal, black or blue 2g, with AC, a 3.5l, some 68HTAs, and awd auto. Basic low 10 sec street car to daily.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,708
Part out the green car?!

Thought about it. But wife isn’t a fan of that idea. Lol. I’d probably regret it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,959 Posts
I thought your wife was going to pilot the green car?
The VR4 is too far to do anything but a RACE car....

Did I miss pics of the MR2?

How do your kids feel about the whole situation? (New car, MOM driving, being a pit crew)

Fun family, all I can say...

Bob. :)

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,710
Green car is built for true street classes. Can obviously be driven anywhere, but not going to be a quiet daily driver with AC.

Mr2 was bought to do the same classes, just be better at them. It was bought in pieces with a poorly executed paint job.

We are also getting my wife’s first car she drove when she was 16, soon. A ‘66 mustang fastback. Was restored by her dad 25+ years ago and stayed in the family but needs re-restored and some other work.

Plus maintaining our daily drivers.

So something has to give. Since no one thinks I should ditch the 3000, I’ll probably take my time on the Mr2 and go mild. Was going to be a low5 sec 1/8 no prep car (7 sec 1/4), for 2021, but may just start off mild 9/10sec car with mostly stock 4g engine/trans and set no timeline.

Girls like how many locals know our family and cars. Boys like the cars. Wife, mostly likes me. Lol. She’s excited to get the mustang. That will be her deal. I think it’s just to be a nice cruiser. I don’t need another race car. lol.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,711

Speaking of my 3000. Finally got the toasted trans out. Going to pull the engine this week. Then get back to working on son’s car. Think I have everything I need to build the engine harness now.

I signed up for a pretty crazy No Prep race down in Mississippi in December. So want to get an aluminum block back in my car to take weight off front. Between aluminum block, removing intercooler (m1, non intercooled for the event), and putting bias skinnies back up front, will be approx 175lbs off the front.

Reactions: StarWolfQTP

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Don’t part out the green car dude. The car is awesome. You’ve put way too much TLC into it, to just see it parted out. Plus, you’re like the only guy, that’s actually doing anything notable, in the 3/S racing world. If you’re tired of it, just park it and come back to it when you it appeases you. I think you have it in a good place. If it’s about the cash flow for the MR2, then I’d keep the 3000gt where it’s at and then slowly build the MR2 up. As awesome as MR2s are, that one looks like it needs a few barrels of cash?

I know that I go through phases in life, where I just want to simplify things. But I need to do something or I go crazy. So I only attempt to work on a project or two at a time, to not overwhelm myself. It sounds like you have a lot going on and can see where your head is at. lol

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,713
Yeah typing it all out and thinking through it, the Mr2 will just need to be built in phases. I’m excited to drive it with the ttops out on the street and win some races at the track, but even a 600whp stock 4g63 build would be insane in an Mr2. 1200whp can come later.

The car is perfect for what I’m doing. Was a TX car so no rust on the car (Mr2s are starting to rot out big time now). And no engine or trans. Car was painted and started wet sanding so it looks rougher than it really is. Diamond in the rough.

My son is excited to get going back on his car again so that will be fun. He’s learning about cars and tuning. Was asking me again tonight how a 2-step works and the purpose. Then asked if he can have both a 2-step and rolling anti-lag (which I taught him about last week) lol. (Yes, yes he can . 2 step on brake switch for auto launch, and RAL on cruise control stalk) .....I don’t think his stock 7 bolt motor is going to last long. Lol. Those little rods are going to shit the bed.

He’s already saving for rods and pistons though. And I’ll donate my 2.4 block and crank to the cause when he’s ready.

So, I’m ordering rods and pistons for one of my aluminum blocks for 3000. You guys win. lol. Was going to run stock bottom end, but like the safety factor if I’m running it for awhile.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
That's the spirit! You gotta keep it. It's like your trademark man. lol. Throw your built aluminum block in, maybe detune it a bit from the ragged edge and have fun with it. BTW, I really have to see your car, before I die. lol. On another note, a 600hp MR2 would be wicked fun. I always liked the look of them. They remind of a mix between a miniature VR4 and Pontiac Fiero GT.

Glad to hear your son is increasing his interest in the red car. It's nice to share a hobby with family. BTW, the red car was Wayne's (Boostaddict) old car right? Back in March of 2010, Wayne and I both submitted our cars for the COTM contest. His car won by 4 votes. Jerk! lol. Bursted my little bubble. It would be great to see it hauling ass again.

But your son is very lucky to have a Dad, that's willing to teach him this stuff. Many kids these days, don't have that luxury. I try to teach my boys as much as I can. But they are still young yet and only have about a 5 minute long attention span. So time will tell, if they ever get bit by the car bug.

Then asked if he can have both a 2-step and rolling anti-lag (which I taught him about last week) lol. (Yes, yes he can
. 2 step on brake switch for auto launch, and RAL on cruise control stalk) .....I don’t think his stock 7 bolt motor is going to last long. Lol. Those little rods are going to shit the bed.
LMAO. That's great. He's about to find out what limitations are. lol. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
After all these years and all these post it turns out your the kwazy one...

I've just read the entire thread, dude you're off the chain lol

Subscribed.

Reactions: familyMAN

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,716
That's the spirit! You gotta keep it. It's like your trademark man. lol. Throw your built aluminum block in, maybe detune it a bit from the ragged edge and have fun with it. BTW, I really have to see your car, before I die. lol.
Engine really hasn't been on the ragged edge after putting it on methanol and/or intercooler with the iron block. Since going methanol, the two issues can be assigned to stroker in aluminum block putting a lot of side load and cyl pressure (with 150shot), and the other issue was bad injectors torching a head on iron block. I've run a lot of boost since then on e85 with intercooler. 30psi, no issues at all. Plugs are much happier with intercooler on e85. But methanol, non-intercooled worked also.

A stock stroke, aluminum block 5.3 with Texas-speed rods/pistons should be able to make some impressive power. Plan to do a top fill of block with epoxy (this epoxy has been very successful for open deck honda's instead of a block guard) to stabilize the sleeves even more. Stock stroke should be the big difference though. And I'm actually expecting to make the same horsepower per psi with less displacement, just at a higher rpm.

Now, trans issue is a different animal...... It's TOAST. Undetermined why so far, but trans guy has it torn down and converter will be back to converter company Monday. They will coordinate it get to the bottom of the issue. The converter bottomed out into Trans pump. That's usually 1 of 3 things...1) incorrect converter spacing (I measured before install and it was correct) 2) bad thrust play in engine from killing thrust bearings (thankfully, engine is fine; I measured) 3) ballooned converter. (I don't have a before measurement but sent the converter back to get checked out).

After all these years and all these post it turns out your the kwazy one...

I've just read the entire thread, dude you're off the chain lol

Subscribed.
That's a lot of reading at once. You might be the crazy one. lol I do miss those days of finding a good thread on a forum and staying up all night, reading, learning, being entertained. Facebook and Instagram just isn't the same as forums. :(

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,717
Glad to hear your son is increasing his interest in the red car. It's nice to share a hobby with family. BTW, the red car was Wayne's (Boostaddict) old car right? Back in March of 2010, Wayne and I both submitted our cars for the COTM contest. His car won by 4 votes. Jerk! lol. Bursted my little bubble. It would be great to see it hauling ass again.
and yeah, wayne's old car. But at this point, I'd call it wayne's cage and hood. Car is pretty beat up and was missing lots of components, wiring, etc. When it's done, it will definitely be "my son's car" and no ones old car :D

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I do miss those days of finding a good thread on a forum and staying up all night, reading, learning, being entertained. Facebook and Instagram just isn't the same as forums. :(
Amen mate, amen... :geek:

Reactions: familyMAN

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,719
Trans will be done next week. Haven't heard on converter yet. They've had it since Monday. Still need to order rods/pistons for my aluminum block.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Sweet. Any word on what caused the trans damage? I know you said they were looking into it. Also saw you’re making some progress on your son’s car. Looking good! Post up some pics of those rods/pistons, when you get them in. :)

2701 - 2720 of 2729 Posts