Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

2461 - 2473 of 2473 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,461
Actually, engine size means almost nothing anymore with drag racing unless it’s NA or in class racing with turbo limits. And then, you usually get to run a bigger turbo on bigger engines because a smaller engine will make more power with the same turbo size. Then they work in weight limits as well because a 4cyl car is usually lighter than a v8 car.

So import vs domestic racing tries to balance weight vs turbo size to keep the class as even as possible.

But the stuff that I do is tire, chassis and suspension rules for the most part. Because I am geared towards the street classes, A lot require cooling and charging systems and even a 30-60mile cruise before racing. One that I’m signed up for has a hood down rule too. Can’t pop your hood at all, during drive or in pits between runs. Open the hood and you are disqualified.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,917 Posts
No prep drag racing classes are based on tires, suspension, chassis etc to try to equalize.
OK… certainly change a lot since my days when virtually no tracks were prepped to start with. The equalizer was right foot and balls trying to keeping it between the guard rails (if there was any :rolleyes:).

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,917 Posts
OK… sounds like you’re working to fit a certain class. I can relate to that as even in old days we did same for some altered classes and even some stock classes which sounds like closer to what you’re talking about. I guess I was assuming with engine change would have put you in what would have been one of the altered classes of old days.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,464 (Edited)
As I said most of us are running turbos where engine size isn't as much of a factor; the size of the turbo is. And the tire, suspension and chassis rules are the equalizers.

I assume you didn't run 28x10.5 tires either and no prep correct? Using power management tuning and right foot, while keeping it in your lane as you try putting down 1200-1400whp on a scraped and soap scrubbed track on a 28x10.5, is interesting.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,917 Posts
I assume you didn't run 28x10.5 tires either and no prep correct? Using power management tuning and right foot, while keeping it in your lane as you try putting down 1200-1400whp on a scraped and soap scrubbed track on a 28x10.5, is interesting.
You're correct didn't run 28x10.5 tires, much larger ones in altered and fuel FC classes. I know it's hard to understand in today's times, but that was during a period of time that tracks were not using traction compounds, so YES defiantly NO PREP (I'm old) closes thing back then was a splash of VHT to coat slicks followed by dry hops to remove excess. Also with blown fuel cars (like in my avatar) horsepower back then was like 3000 to 3500 hp in a 2000 lbs car. So yes I understand the interesting part of that statement. If fact some of match races and circuit events was on tracks that many these days wouldn't run a smart car down considering it to dangerous.

But I do now understand the class you're working to fit in and I'm also impressed with the work you've done to car and the quality of that work. Probable more demanding then mine back then, when we just slapped large roots blowers, injector hats on top of engine and poured 80-90+ % nitromethane in tank for horsepower.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,466
Sounds like a party!

I’m staying away from nitro. Lol. Although people are in turbo limited classes if it’s allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,917 Posts
I’m staying away from nitro. Lol. Although people are in turbo limited classes if it’s allowed.
That’s interesting, I know there’s a lot of Nitrous uses these days but didn’t know there’s much use of Nitromethane these days other than the Top Fuel classes. They both have similar properties but Nitromethane creates more power but with much more severe engine damage possibilities, not failing to mention the high chance of bodily injury also from fires and flying parts.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,468

Moon tune first round at a no prep tonight. Unfortunately I had to lift as it was going left and UP. Had to lift again on the shift it spun. Was trying to catch him. Still had a slight chance so hit the nitrous scramble. Exciting ride but couldn’t make up for lost time.

Was surprised it came up that hard. Was less rpm in the launch than earlier today that just carried the front for me 100ft nice and smooth.

·
Registered
237 Posts
>Adds 140lbs of lead to back bumper
>No wheelie bar
>Launches at drag strip
> Oh no the front came up uncontrollably
>Surprisedpikachuface.jpeg
Damn that's a great pic though.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,472
My DIY welded and resurfaced head held 31psi and 150shot. Couple degrees less timing than the 1214hp dyno pull around 30psi. So still around 1350hp in high gear reading him in. Just not enough track left. The wheelie screwed me. Shouldn’t have went up that far. Was less hot of a launch setting than earlier in day but it was a little cooler. Was right on the edge I guess.

Will slow down the front shocks and keep everything else the same.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,473

2461 - 2473 of 2473 Posts