Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

2321 - 2340 of 2523 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,321
Well at least that wasn’t me that did that. But it did hold!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,322
Ordered the proper flow reducing valve and also a pressure reduction spring/shim kit for the PS pump. Should be here by the end of the week; so good timing as I travel again tomorrow. Also pulled a couple spark plugs last night. They looked perfect.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,323
Signed up for Rocky Mountain Race Week again. Even longer route this time. They are saying probably 1400 mi. 7 full days of driving and racing, plus one 16-17hr day of driving to get there and another 16-17hr day of driving to get back.

I think I'm going to modify a 4x8 trailer to hold my thule carrier on top, my slicks/skinnies, tools, fuel, cooler and canopy. Should save a lot of time from loading and unloading car. But if I run bias slicks, I'll have to change the front tires to skinnies too which will add a little time. I thought about signing up for the 10.0 class and just run on my 20" drag radials and pump gas, but pride got the best of me and signed up for the Limited Street (8.50 index) class again. I'm pretty sure I could get the 20's pretty quick on sticky tracks but no way on the slick tracks. A couple were awful last year which is why I want to bring my 28x10.5/15 bias slicks this year. Last year I was on 17" DOT radials.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I would love to see the AWD Swap just because - I don't care for the weight gains, but cool to see you do it.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,325
I would love to see the AWD Swap just because - I don't care for the weight gains, but cool to see you do it.
It would have to be awhile. Too much to do this year with my son’s car, Rocky Mountain, some other events I want to do, family stuff and I travel for work every week now for awhile it seems and some weekends.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,319 Posts
If I'm reading right, you're racing this weekend?

If so, GOOD LUCK!!

Bob.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,327 (Edited)
Thanks but I’m not this weekend. Rocky Mountain is in June but the planning starts now.

First outing I will do is a TnT Sunday March 1st. 1/8 mi. Shitty track. Good for no prep testing. (first no prep I may attend is in april)

This weekend is poetry recital competition in Indy for daughter. We leave tonight.

Car news:
-installed volume reducing fitting/valve in PS pump and also shimmed the pressure relief to lower the pressure from ~1400psi to ~900psi
-helped some with twitchiness but not as much as I had hoped
-there is another volume reduction fitting that is 1.3GPM designed for a Miata rack that I could try. The one I have now is 2.0GPM for a ford rack. Stock GM is 3.0GPM.

-electric water pump works awesome so far.

-back pressure sensor is confirming what I thought. Lots of back pressure. Already almost 2:1; at only 13-14psi of boost I have 22-24psi of back pressure by 7k rpm.

-still waiting impatiently for FP to get a bigger turbo ready. The turbine wheel is based on a Garrett 50r turbine but slightly upsized is my understanding. 91mm compressor and t6 housing options aren’t ready yet.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,328
Kept splitting the low pressure return line of PS rack/pump and dumping PS fluid everywhere. Three times now. Guess the line I grabbed from bin wasn’t rated as high as I thought. Replaced, again, and all good even after 100 miles of hard driving backroads and small highways.

14psi, pump 93 octane today. Up to 200* IAT. Lol. 60-80mph in 1.22 sec. And fuel flow calculates out to around 750-780whp. Not bad and that’s the least amount of power I can make. Lol.

Still waiting for the 1.3GPM flow valve for PS pump. I think that should do the trick.

Going to check the tune on pump ethanol, then raise the boost, and add meth injection.

Then it’s time to get started on the 4Gswap car while checking off items on my car to prep for RMRW. (Reinforce parachute mount more for a trailer, trailer light wiring on car, build a hitch to install in parachute mount. Finish a couple nit-picky NHRA items, etc).

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,329

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,330
Meth injection on now and boost turned up to 23psi. Emap vs Map ratio dropped (Emap didn't rise proportionally with boost pressure rise). Probably a combo of pre-turbo injection helping efficiency, and a lot of methanol helping EGT and lowering Emap.

The upgraded meth pump definitely helped vs last year. Had to take out even more fuel than expected in the map. And IATs are down to 140* at 23psi vs 200* at 14psi :D

Cam and intake definitely softened power below 6k, which isn't a bad thing for the street, but RIPS above 6000rpm. As long as I can stay up in that range down the track, it will be all gains. At 23psi, the converter stalls at 6k (which indicates some gains vs last year at that boost, no nitrous). More boost should kick that up higher and have a nice compounding effect.

I'll wait for the PS pump flow valve to try more boost on the street. Steering is a bit too wild for what I estimate to be around 950hp at 23psi/7000rpm.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,331
New flow valve (1.3GPM) worked awesome!!! Best the steering has felt since LS swapped. I was hauling ass on my backroads with more confidence than ever. Probably a bit too aggressive since I was slightly airborne over a small bridge and sideways around a couple 90* turns.

Next order of business is brake feel and stopping power. I need to replace the junkyard rear brakes first. They were put on rusted. Lol. Not sure if I will do stock replacement (Ford Explorer), or get some strange rear brakes for a 9” rear. Then a full bleed with better fluid. I already have hawk pads up front on the single piston mustang GT calipers (which are brand new), but the brake feel is soft as shit and pretty much needs to go to the floor to stop aggressively.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,334
Yeah I’m happy with it for sure. The holes were bothering me. The shape of these look like they were made for the car.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,335
Ordered another AEM trim pot. I'll have three in the car soon. lol. currently boost and launch rpm. the third will be for traction slip % as soon as I get the front speed sensor moved.

Also ordered a bigger front trans cooler, 6AN fittings for it and trans and pre-made 6AN lines from ANplumbing.com. Tired of the leaks. Also have my car raised a little up front from last year, so going to re-install the deeper trans pan. My trans guy really wanted me to run that pan if I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My car won't be going 7's. 8.99 eventually and keep street manors is the goal. This isn't a plug n play swap. 4G is still the best for that. Cheap, easy and easy power.

Next engine? Maybe a flat six, but wrapped in a 911 body or the e60 m5 v10 is glorious.

I don't disagree! They are so simple though. Make power. And actually take up less space than a dressed 4g. $550 full long blocks all day that easily hold enough power for 8's with only a $275 cam, $200 springs, a turbo and fuel. That's tough to argue with.
Where may get one of these $550 long blocks? And man id love to see an in depth how to on creating a chromoly subframe to hold the motor. And how will you route the steering linkage? Its tight in there

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,337 (Edited)
Iron block 5.3 longblocks are $500 all day long (Craigslist, FB marketplace, junkyards, etc). I’ve seen them for $300 even. I got my last aluminum long block for $600 if I recall but it had been half taken apart and half put back together.

Al the pics are here in this thread of the subframe build and steering. Steering was modified for an extra ujoint after the original build, but that’s also documented with pics here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17,371 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,339
I don't think the SMICs are up far enough but it's been awhile since I've seen one in person.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,202 Posts
Looks really good, Eric! The backside of a SMIC would meet the vent, so I am not sure either. Perhaps mess around with smoke and see if it exits more under/through liner or the vent lol

//edit// I think the Dejon set actually does sit more forward though**

2321 - 2340 of 2523 Posts