Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 2377 Posts

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,241
No updates on my car. Still sitting and waiting for me.

Going to detroit saturday to pick up a roller for my son though. That's still the main project this winter.

May start on pulling engine tonight and get a head off. Super curious on what is damaged from the head gasket failure. If it's minor, will probably be put back together with hone/ring job, new cam and new intake, and 91mm turbo. If block is damaged, I'll have to look at options.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,242 (Edited)
Davies Craig water pump kit came in. Going to require a little modding to fit turbo kit. Hopefully not too bad. Saves 9lbs up front too.

BTR intake manifold comes tomorrow as does a 92mm throttle body.

Still need to pull engine to check out how bad the damage is. And decide on a turbo(s) so I can make a new hot pipe for the new intake.

On the turbo front, I need to speak with FP. I think the biggest single they have is a 91mm based on a GT50. I think 94-98mm is what I want. Or I may have to go twins, they have 72mm's that would work awesome as twins, but more fab work.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,243

Time to make some power!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I hate LS Engines and their stupid awesome off the shelf bolt ons with actual R+D and Dyno time behind them,

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,245
I hate LS Engines and their stupid awesome off the shelf bolt ons with actual R+D and Dyno time behind them,
Speaking of dyno...

This was 14psi. I think the gains will be even better with my boost/power.

I averaged 6800 rpm on my last 1/4 run and finished at 7450ish. Lot of missing power. As I trap more (if I keep the same gearing), the gains will be even better vs stock.

I went with 92mm TB instead of 102, but I think the difference will be negligible. Stock is 78mm.

Chatting with FP, sounds like I’m getting a 91mm Borg based unit to replace my 84mm turbo. And a bigger turbine wheel. Pretty damn excited!!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,246

I break things. :). One cyl on otherside was leaking too. Not torched though. That other side also ate a spark plug months ago when I tried iridiums and super hot IAT. Probably been leaking that whole time and why I would have intermittent cooling issues.

Heads just need a resurface. Rings held on head side. Going to have Donnie weld the block and resurface block and heads. Check it all over and re-“send it.”

Going to order a new cam soon. And likely a cable drive fuel pump setup so I can crank base pressure to 90psi and run M1 for fuel at the track :D Calculators say I can eek out 1500Hp (crank) with my 210lb injectors with 90 base at 85% duty. My methanol kit adds a little extra safety factor too. We shall see!

·
Marshall Taylor
1,112 Posts
Thanks for the update. Sending things to Donnie is a great call. As you stated earlier, you have work lined up on your and your Son's car. Good luck!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,248
Thanks for the update. Sending things to Donnie is a great call. As you stated earlier, you have work lined up on your and your Son's car. Good luck!
Yeah he built this shortblock too. I didn’t have time scrambling to get ready for Race Week.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,250
Custom cam for the stroke on order. They said my current cam was waaay wrong. Was trying to race a tow motor.

Might slap the stock 5.3 in for a race on Black Friday with my current cam. Block is cracked from when I left it outside with water in block, but I ran it for months after that.

A bit of work to swap stuff over to old engine put it everything in car, just to take it all back out again later, but I miss boost.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,251
Cable drive fuel pump setup ordered. Well, everything but the cable. Have to measure for that once it’s all in.

Expensive shit but hopefully worth it for all the methanol. Need a better wideband and IGN1A cools too.

And made my mounts solid. The poly was completely trashed.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,252
My car won't be going 7's. 8.99 eventually and keep street manors is the goal.
Post from Feb 2018 when I had just started cutting up the car and hadn't even started on the custom subframe yet. 15 months later had run 8.80's while doing 1200 miles of Rocky Mountain Race Week, month after that 8.60's, couple after that, 8.50's. Still Street.

And now going for 7's. oops. lol If I can get it back together with the planned upgrades by Jan 11, I'd like to hit that 7's down in FL at StreetCar Takeover.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,254
Methanol in a door car... :LOL::ROFLMAO:
full exhaust;) fumes out the back. still street.

I may not go methanol right away but getting prepped just in case. I am worried I won't have enough injector though still. Bigger stuff is expensive. $350 per injector for the new ID2600's or PTE 500lb. I still want to run pump gas on the street too so 500's might be a challenge.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,255

Custom cam came in. Quite a bit “bigger” than the cam I was running that was choking up my stroker.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,257
Looks like a really nice grind. That 115 deg lobe separation is interesting. Should have some major grunt in the middle, and work really well with the turbo.
It’s designed for 6-8k rpm. A lot more duration on both intake and exhaust than previous cam. I think the separation is to keep the overlap from being too aggressive with expected back pressure from this turbo which will still be turbine limited. (FP hasnt jumped full into the big displacement turbo design yet. It really should have a bigger turbine wheel).

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
It’s designed for 6-8k rpm. A lot more duration on both intake and exhaust than previous cam. I think the separation is to keep the overlap from being too aggressive with expected back pressure from this turbo which will still be turbine limited. (FP hasnt jumped full into the big displacement turbo design yet. It really should have a bigger turbine wheel).
There's so much that goes into that which is cylinder head, port, and engine specific, that I wouldn't even want to try and wrap my head around it. That's what a good camshaft guy is for... But for the most part, the wide separation and lower overlap is going to sacrifice a slight amount of peak power in favor of a wide torque curve... (and actually maintain enough cylinder pressure to start and run with street car compression ratios)

You'll notice that they got there by advancing the exhaust lobe. So in effect, bolting it in straight up is running the cam 2.5 degree advanced of center. It'll be interesting to see the results. It looks like a pretty well thought out grind designed to work with your combo. I predict a very impressive torque curve. All you'll have to do is figure out how to keep it glued to the pavement... :)

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,259 (Edited)
Yeah I’ve noticed a lot of turbo cams have advance built in. I don’t claim to know a lot about cam design. They did say my last cam was completely wrong for my stroker. And I was definitely choked up above 6500. Was seen on dyno and you could feel it in the car.

Just gave them all the specs on my bottom end, heads and turbo and told them my goals. Lift is mild because I didn’t want any valvetrain issues with all the street miles.

Tempted to run the same turbo again to see the difference since it was choked up before, but a bigger turbo matches up the compressor map better though so may as well upgrade while it’s down.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,260

Put the good ole stock bottom end 5.3 back together with some new MLS gaskets, China headstuds and the old stock heads that have Texas speed dual springs. Has the big mofo cam in it too.

Mocking up for fbody PS pump, Davies Craig water pump, AEI cable drive fuel pump (not in yet), and new intake manifold.

Need to move the driver’s side wastegate. It hits the PS pulley.

Need to make a new throttle cable mount. Ordered a 4” 45* coupler and think that will work for the turbo hotpipe to TB. Ordered the appropriate vac barb fittings I need and a stock map sensor block off.

Think I’ll need to move the water pump slightly, so ordered a u bend of 1.5” aluminum pipe so I can cut up the silicone and move everything around as needed.

If I get all of this done before Donnie fixes my block, I’ll rock the stock engine for a bit. Waiting for witchhunter to send my injectors back though too. They are backed up otherwise I could finish some of it up and start it.

2241 - 2260 of 2377 Posts