Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 91 Stealth has ECS, but the light doesn't engage when my car is started, nor does the ECS switch on the bezel seem to do anything. I've done a search for ECS problems on this board, but none state this exact problem I'm having. Shouldn't the light in the dash at least blink or something, showing me there's a problem with the system? Anybody have a clue to what I should check next? I'm a "rookie" on these Stealth's. :confused:

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
You do not see Tour or Sport? It is possibe that a previous owner took out the bulb so that they wouldn't have to deal with a blinking light or explain it to a future buyer . . .a k a You

·
McStealthless
1,456 Posts
I don't think it's a bulb issue..

mine does the same thing. Some days it blinks, some days it works like it should, and other days there is no light at all. I'm inclined to believe that it's the ECS computer that's flipping out, not a problem with the shocks/struts themselves.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: I don't think it's a bulb issue..

McStealth R/T said:
mine does the same thing. Some days it blinks, some days it works like it should, and other days there is no light at all. I'm inclined to believe that it's the ECS computer that's flipping out, not a problem with the shocks/struts themselves.
Mine has never worked since I've owned the car. I bought it last April and didn't even realize that it had ECS until I noticed the wires on the top of the strut housing. I looked in my Service Manual to find out what they were for. Then I looked in the trunk area and found the computer. Now I want the thing to work like it's supposed to work! If this car came with extras, I want the extras to WORK! I'll dig a little deeper to see if I can find any broken wires, etc. I'm not what you'd call "mechanically enclined", so everything I do on this car is all new territory for me! But what they hey, I'm learning! Do you think a love tap with a hammer might fix the computer problems? (just a joke!):eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You May Have A Point

RickyN29 said:
You do not see Tour or Sport? It is possibe that a previous owner took out the bulb so that they wouldn't have to deal with a blinking light or explain it to a future buyer . . .a k a You
I don't see Tour or Sport. Yes, removing the bulb is a strong possibility. I bought this from someone on the East Coast and I'm on the West Coast. I don't think he would have tried to "shaft me" with a problem without me knowing about it. He may not have known either. He had just acquired the car and never had a chance to go through it to check for problems. I bought it almost the same day he picked it up from Florida. There doesn't seem to be very many "nice, low mileage" Stealths out here in Ca. I'll get this ECS thing figured out yet. It's not the same as figuring out a TCP/IP problem! ha ha!:angel:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andrew Caple said:
See my FAQ for how to diagnose ECS problems. Look for "TOUR/SPORT".
Thanks Andrew, I'll be hitting your site hard and heavy! I definitely am among the "mechanically disinclined!" You'd think I'd know more about cars considering I'm 44 years young! I haven't worked on my own car other than plugs, wires, etc., since I had my 73 Cuda back in 79. That was back in the day! No electronics! :)

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
And now - no gas.

I had a '66 Corvette that I sold in 1980, which was just after Ontario banned leaded premium gas, and just before they banned leaded regular gas. What the heck have guys been using since then for 12:1 engines???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Gas

Andrew Caple said:
And now - no gas.

I had a '66 Corvette that I sold in 1980, which was just after Ontario banned leaded premium gas, and just before they banned leaded regular gas. What the heck have guys been using since then for 12:1 engines???
I think folks with high compression engines have been hitting up the airports for AV-Gas! If I'm not mistaken, AV-Gas has an octane rating of 100 and it possibly might be leaded. Down here in Ca, it's $3.00 a gallon or more. Could you imagine buying a Hemi-Cuda and trying to make it run like it's supposed too, on the crap gas we get at the pumps? NOT HAPPENING! I don't have to worry about it, I can't afford 66 Vettes, or 71 Hemi-Cuda's anyway! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts