Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say that I put on my aftermarket downpipe and no snags or anything. It fit right up to the exhaust and manifolds. You have to put it on like a wheel. Each nut has to be tightened a little and then move to the next one. I can feel the difference, it's hard to explain, but it definately feels different and sounds a little more throaty. I guess it feels like it punches more. The only problem I had was with the damn O2 sensor which had to be removed with an air wrench while trying to stretch the stupid 4 inch wire. The other problem I had was that I didn't have a lift, I had to use jack stands. I suggest using a 6" extension for the air tool and perhaps a little PB blaster if your nuts don't come off, but I didn't need it. You need a 17mm and 19mm socket. Other than that, have fun, it's fairly rewarding. Oh, and always replace the old gaskets with new ones. Anybody have questions, just ask. My two cents is done.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no problems

I bought it second hand, still new. It has a flex pipe though, which is apparently a significant mod since the old DN performance downpipes. But, I digress since I've only had it on for a day. But I beat the shit out of it last night, drving hard and fast, and no weird noises or seal breaks, nothing. Looks like you've had a bad experience. Mine is a federal pipe, as well. I've heard a lot of problems with the cali spec ones because of the bolting to the pre-cats, maybe that has a lot to do with it.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
iceccool2 said:
Don't worry, your pipe will probably break like the rest of them, mine included. Was the flex section added at the buyer's expense?? He doesn't make them that way does he?

Adam,

Your pipe and someone else's are the only pipes that i have read have broken. the majority of the people who have them are doing fine. Ty even said that only "1" so far broke. I wonder what happened to your pipe???

can you explain now what happened to ur pipe?
:confused:

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
My dnp is too powerful. I've blown the cat gasket 4 times now, leaks like a sonobitch. Exhaust shop cant fix it for the life of them. I need to convince them to weld a test pipe there so there wont be any more leaking.

And I dont have emissions here, so an afixed testpipe wont matter.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
awild said:
My dnp is too powerful. I've blown the cat gasket 4 times now, leaks like a sonobitch. Exhaust shop cant fix it for the life of them. I need to convince them to weld a test pipe there so there wont be any more leaking.

And I dont have emissions here, so an afixed testpipe wont matter.
That doesn't mean it's too powerful, rather it's poorly put together---another shocking POS dp made by DNP

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
mine has a flex section, and its holding together fine... i dont see the problem. maybe they broke due to shitty install?

·
Deal with it
3,129 Posts
I also have a flex section... and it still blows the gasket. In fact some of you may remember the thread I had on when it blew the bolts out of the cat and I was running open front pipe.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Re: no problems

Nexus7 said:
I've heard a lot of problems with the cali spec ones because of the bolting to the pre-cats, maybe that has a lot to do with it.
Wait, a quick question...I have a 98 SL so I definatly have the Cali Spec exhaust. So my question is that I thought the Cali Spec Front Pipe was supposed to eliminate the Pre-Cats isnt it?:confused:

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
if the 3sx frontpipe is the same one that was originally made by ek2mfg, then i would definitely recommend it.. ive heard no complaints, and have none myself.. it provided a noticable gain with no hassle

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i got mine from 3sx and it fit like a glove and works perfect cant complain......

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
iceccool2 said:
Either all or almost all of the 92 SLs don't have precats. You want the federal spec. Take my advice and get the 3sx pipe.
I dont have a 92' SL, I have a 98' SL. When I put it on the lift to change my oil a week ago I noticed that it has a precat, like the 98's are supposed to. So do I get the 3SX Federal Emissions one or the Cali Emissions one?? :confused:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
OK, here's the deal. All of the Non-turbo DNP DP's are made and always were made with flex sections. The original TT DP's were not, however Don has made adjustments to them and added the much needed flex section.

Adam's DP was basiclly just a plain ole POS. I dont know what happened and why it happened, but it did in fact break. The situation got amplified when Don could not provide Adam with a replacement in an acceptable timeframe due to product backorder. However, Don is refunding Adam's money which he did not have to do since the DP is in fact several months old and used. Adam is however a little pissed about teh whole situation and rightfully so. He spent his hard earned money on a product that I ENDORSED, and it failed on him. Unfortuneatly my hands were tied. Don likes to handle any and all of his return and warranty issues, so I had to send Adam to speak directly with Don. I did what I could for Adam, and Adam has thanked me several times for the extra effort that I have put in to help him get his situation resolved. That is teh only DNP DP that I have sold or heard of that has actually had any issues. However, I have only ever sold the NA DP's, and I am vaguely aware of some issue that arouse during the DNP GB. However, I must also say this too. Don is a good guy. He does a lot of good things for this community and has brought us many good parts that noone else has. Are they always the best fitting products? NO. Does DNP make good products? YES!!! Does DNP have minor production/quality/fitment issues like every other manufactuer, IE: GReddy, Apexi, HKS, Stillen...etc...etc...etc...? YES!! But will Don stand behind his products? YES!!! We will continue to show our support for DNP and carry his products? YES

4u2nv: There are no NA DP's that will eliminate teh precats for teh cali emissiones cars. Some of the TT DP will eliminate teh front precat, and you just have to gut the rear, which is basiclly what you will have to do with yours. You can gut your precats, but there isn't a DP that is going to totally eliminate them for you.

Ty
Speed Factor

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Re: Re: another DNP downpipe installation

Dan's VR-4 said:
An actual DN Performance dp working right, weird. Don must have made a mistake and done something right for once.
Mine works perfect. I got an exhuast leak, but I didn't have it when I installed the downpipe. It just started a few weeks ago. I don't think we tightened every bolt down good enough.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts