Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I changed my gear oil.... was going pretty good until I noticed that it was leaking a bit...... I noticed it was leaking from the filling plug.... So what I did was I tried to tighten it ... heh it wouldn't hurt at all to tighten it a bit.... So I did it... big mistake........I should've realized that I should take it out and put in a gasket and tighten it.... instead I just tighten it more.... I broke off the whole drain plug shit.......Bad very bad........ it would cost a whole lost to weld it back... have to go to special aluminum welding place......right now I bought the apexy just to cover all around it... still leaking a lot... .Tomorrow I will try to break off the apexy and put the gel ack as gasket in the crack place and cover it with apexy ...... :( oh poor my VR4 .... I didn't know I was that strong..... I didn't even use that much of energy and the shit just broke right off...... damn....Have this happen to any of you guys??? just want to share my pain.....

Danny....

V

·
0 Posts
Yeah,
that's what exactly happened to me when I changed my tranny.
The SAME problem.I found a very good and cheap solution.
Get the white rubber thingy tape to seal water pipe from Home
Deppot,and put it around the filling plug.Put a thick one aroundthe plug.

That's what I did on my tranny plug,and no more leaking tranny.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
the white tape is called Silicone tape, not sure i would trust it for very long, better ask a mechanic

·
Registered
689 Posts
The white Teflon tape is impervious so it will work fine. There is also a pink Teflon thread tape that is a little thicker and more durable. The tape will need to be replaced every time the plug is removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts