Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my Question:

My Rear drivers wheel squeeks now. This has happened since I put the Wheel back on from being repaired. In every rotation I hear a squeek. It doesn't do it when i press on the brakes, even slightly.

Any idea what it could be?. Did I put something back on wrong?.

Any help would be great, I'm home sick form work today and really need to use the time to clear this up

·
Official Gathering Ghost
1,848 Posts
Jack it up, take off the wheel, and put it back on, and when you put your lug nuts back on make sure you do it in a criss-cross pattern so the wheel goes on straight and even, but I can't think of what it would be :confused: Don't put any type of lube on the studs though, you don't wnat your wheel falling off!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK -

I jacked it up, Pulled off the wheel, checked the rotors , pads, nothing looks out of order, put the wheel back on in a criss - cross pattern.

Call me stupid but I had a look at another wheel's bolts to see how tight they were and I noticed that the Squeeky wheel doesn't have the CENTER BOLT?!?!?!? the five bolts are all there and tightened but the Large Center one is missing... WTF?!?!?......

Iv'e been driving around like this for 9 months, Am I going to die?, will the wheel fly off?.

I havent been able to test for 'Squeekeyness' because it's still jacked up and i'm looking at some other things...

Please, someone Let me know if this center bolt is absolutley neccecary.....

·
Official Gathering Ghost
1,848 Posts
hold on, center bolt on the Rotor? If so, yea you need that on...but if your talking about the wheel...what center bolt?

·
vehicular thaumaturgist
8,289 Posts
I think the bolts that you are talking about are the ones for the front CV shafts. The rear CV shafts do not attach the same way and there is no bolt in the center.

Your problem sounds like it might be minor and brake-related, but it could be lots of things.

-Chris Wood

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Are you talking about the center bolt for your rotor? And you mentioned it happened after the wheel was repaired. What exactly happened to the wheel?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Guys - I'm talking about the center bolt for the Wheel. I took it out for a spin and it sounds fine so far, can't really tell if it will last or not but so far so good.

I guess the rear wheels didn't have that center bolt - cuz I checked my other rear and it was not there eaither. Sorry for my ignorance.

Thankx.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Some brake systems have a "feeler" on them to let you know when it's time to change the bads. Could that be it?
Good luck,
Robert

·
Registered
250 Posts
Some brake systems have a metal "feeler" on the brake pads to let you know when it's time to change them. As the pads wear the metal will touch the rotor and squeal. Could that be it?
Good luck,
Robert

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Advise if squeek also stops when you apply a little emergency brake. Could be that the emergency brake shoes are slightly off center.

You might want to try applying moderate/hard braking in reverse a couple of times on both regular and emergency brakes. I have found that this helps seat the shoes correctly.

Clint

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
You may also want to pull the rear caliper/drum and make sure that there is no rust accumulation inside the drum. I had another car with drum brakes in the rear (like our ebrakes) that started squeaking and it turned out there was a very small rust-ridge. I removed the rust with 220 grit sandpaper and the squeak was gone.

Clint

·
Registered
584 Posts
There are 2 10mm bolts on the backside of the caliper.... Remove them and it slides right off.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Lots of posts and directions available for removing caliper / rotors. (On the back wheels there is a combination rotor / drum. The rotor is for the normal brakes and the small drum portion is for the emergency brake.)

Back rotors come off pretty easy compared to the front rotors which can be a bitch to get off sometimes. Check out the following Rotors from Hell....

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92864&highlight=rotor+from+hell

Clint

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.