Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this is a really stupid concern, but here goes:

I just got two new tires for my 1999 GT SL last week (I'm the original owner) and this has never happened before.....
America's Tire (aka Discount Tire) apparently wacked the centers out from the back so hard that they're now cracked and damaged.

After getting the two tires, I drove my car straight home and parked it in the garage until I went to add the new registration sticker to my plate today
and noticed that my near pristine chrome wheels were really dirty from getting the tires.....no big deal...it's just shmootz, I clean and detail
my car all the time so I started to wipe them down.....that's when I noticed all the cracks in the center caps.

The other two wheels that I didn't have new tires put on are fine....they look like what the back two center caps used to look like until last week.

Does anyone know if replacements can be found now?

For 22 years, like an idiot, I've taken such good care of my car and now someone else damages something that I probably cannot replace.
...and I doubt they can be re-chromed without the cracks coming back.

56k original miles right now:

Verified Seller
I've never seen chrome wheel caps that chrome before. Maybe I just got a 1st gen and 99s are different.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are the OEMs that came with my car new in 1999. All I do is clean and polish them with Nevr-Dull, as needed.

CAD/DAO/CNC
Go back ask manager and show him the center caps and made him look at the other center caps not touched by is shop.

And ask him to found you two perfect one like they was when u leave the car there.

And honestly it will be hard to find those maybe partsouq have those .

Simon

Verified Seller
Discount is always snapping off lug nut studs, they have the cars towed to a mechanic shop and repair the broken studs. If you point it out to the manager they will offer to find a set.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking for other chrome caps to see if I can even find any Mitsu's that fit.......Are our center caps considered 2.25"? We used our micrometer to get an estimate of the outside edge of the cap on the wheel and it looks like 54 mm.....but I'm not sure if I'm measuring it correctly.........I emailed America's Tire/Discount Tire customer service as soon as I noticed the damage......I like to put this type of thing in writing.....I haven't received a reply yet.

Registered
Should have a part number on the back. I know MR244232 is usually listed as for Diamante or Eclipse... maybe 3000gt used the same? That hubcaps.com one looks correct. Might even try mitsubishi parts warehouse.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Should have a part number on the back. I know MR244232 is usually listed as for Diamante or Eclipse... maybe 3000gt used the same? That hubcaps.com one looks correct. Might even try mitsubishi parts warehouse.
Yup! I literally just found the part number in a parts list off the old CD I bought here off 3si...... MR244232......I found the last two available from a Mitsu dealer on ebay......$22 each plus tax Genuine Mitsubishi Center Cap MR244232 | eBay and I ordered a few extras from Mitsubishi Parts Warehouse (R.C. Hill) in FL too .....$20 each incl shipping,

My husband decided to take one of the wheels off so we could verify the part number and it does look like the knuckleheads at America's Tire tried to whack the caps out toward the front from the back.....except the caps on my wheels are only removed from the INSIDE, after removing the clip.

Before taking my car to A.T., my husband thought about removing the caps, but figured we'd never had a problem before.....what could go wrong?

So, the moral of this boring story, remove your center caps if you don't want to have to replace them.

From now on, we will be removing the caps before getting new tires.......it has never been a problem until now (22 years!)

That's water on the wheel.....just cleaned it after cleaning out the inside since we needed to double check the part # of the center cap:

Registered
I had a similar experience with Discount Tire recently. They damaged all four of mine. I am trying to find replacements, but they don't seem to be available anywhere. My part number is MR197990. The manager said they found some, and they ordered four. I haven't received them yet. Does anyone know where to find them for a 1997 VR4? I ordered some that claimed to fit, but they did not. Bummer!

SDSU Alumnus
For future reference, Bob @oohnoo can 3D print any size center cap... including the factory ones that use a retaining clip.

Registered
I'm sure this is a really stupid concern, but here goes:

I just got two new tires for my 1999 GT SL last week (I'm the original owner) and this has never happened before.....
America's Tire (aka Discount Tire) apparently wacked the centers out from the back so hard that they're now cracked and damaged.

After getting the two tires, I drove my car straight home and parked it in the garage until I went to add the new registration sticker to my plate today
and noticed that my near pristine chrome wheels were really dirty from getting the tires.....no big deal...it's just shmootz, I clean and detail
my car all the time so I started to wipe them down.....that's when I noticed all the cracks in the center caps.

The other two wheels that I didn't have new tires put on are fine....they look like what the back two center caps used to look like until last week.

Does anyone know if replacements can be found now?

For 22 years, like an idiot, I've taken such good care of my car and now someone else damages something that I probably cannot replace.
...and I doubt they can be re-chromed without the cracks coming back.

56k original miles right now:
View attachment 296294

Registered
If you really really are upset by this I would be happy to post you some from NZ. I actually have sets of OEM wheels but prefer aftermarket TBH. Let me know if you cant source some in the states and contact me if you dont have any luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts