Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Sore about slapdown"
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the same radiator that PPE sells, but i opted for Flex-A-Lite fans instead of the ones that Paul supplies. This radiater's fans are custom wired to plug right in where the stock fans did.

This radiator is truly awesome.....my temp gage never went above 1/2 scale all summer.

Price is $600 shipped.
Used for 1 summer

email [email protected]
Jack

Attachments

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Not to question a great product...but...I drove my VR4 hard all summer In AZ with OEM Cooling parts (radiator and such) and the temp gauge never got near 1/2 scale. It stayed max around 1/3 or as the logger states 190-200 degrees. Never near half.

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
mine never goes over about 40% or so either ... I wonder if something's wrong with it, lol, probably not, but you never know

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
MitsubishiSpecialties said:
This is the same radiator that PPE sells, but i opted for Flex-A-Lite fans instead of the ones that Paul supplies. This radiater's fans are custom wired to plug right in where the stock fans did.

This radiator is truly awesome.....my temp gage never went above 1/2 scale all summer.

Price is $600 shipped.
Used for 1 summer

email [email protected]
Jack
Any work to make it fit??

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
Why did you decide to go wth the flexalite instead? Is this a complete drop-in or were minor modifications required?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I see that those of you who do not report heating problems all drive First Gens. We did a little survey earlier this year over on the Stealth list and discovered that 2nd Gens are the ones that overheat the most. Nobody knows why -- if it's the 5 speed v the 6 speed, some difference in ducting, some difference in the radiator, etc.

Rich
94 VR4 that runs hot under high boost.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
SlowOldPoop said:
I see that those of you who do not report heating problems all drive First Gens. We did a little survey earlier this year over on the Stealth list and discovered that 2nd Gens are the ones that overheat the most. Nobody knows why -- if it's the 5 speed v the 6 speed, some difference in ducting, some difference in the radiator, etc.

Rich
94 VR4 that runs hot under high boost.
interesting info indeed

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Searched through CAPS on this one... The early first gens (91-early 93) show a different part number on the radiator.
Also, the thermostat case (housing... either way) changed after mid 92.

Could be some differences in cooling performance.

Just thought I'd say something!

·
"Sore about slapdown"
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The difference between the first and second gens is the fan switch. On first gens, it's located on the radiator, second gens it's located on the thermostat housing. Other than that, the radiator is the same.

This radiator requires NO modifications to fit the first gens, but will have to be rewired to work with the second gen fan switch. I will do that if a second gen owner buys it.

The upper hose is different from stock, but that is also included.

I went with Flex-a-lites because look at them, they are beautiful, and they are a perfect fit. The only time the fans even come on is sitting in traffic, otherwise the radiator doesn't even need them. You can idle the car forever and the fans never come on.

[email protected]
Jack

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Is this radiator any wider (across car / drivers side to passenger side) than an OEM radiator? If you place them on top of each other (locating off the mounting posts), is the new one wider with its side tanks?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let me ask a question too: What are the differences among this radiator, the PPE radiator, and the Dark Side Racing radiator?

Do they ALL come from PPE?
Are they all the same size?
I can't tell if Jack's is new or used. Guess I could just ask Jack, eh? Hmmmm. Maybe I just did.

I keep waiting for somebody who road races a 2nd gen at high boost to tell me:

1. I had overheating problems with my 2nd gen at high boost, too
2. I installed a XYZ radiator and it solved my problems.

So far, all the testimonials are from 1st gen racers, who probably don't need a rad. All the 2nd gen racing folks tell me to get a racing rad, but not a single 2nd gen racer has answered 1 and 2 above. Did I miss somebody along the way?

There is something weird about this entire overheating issue, and I can't put my finger on it. I fear that I'll spend $600 for a rad and it won't cure the problem. Instead, what I really needed all along was a $10 repair to the frammitz or an adjustment to the left-handed Shakespearean gazornenplat. (To be or not to be, that is the gazornenplat -- Bob Newhart, c 1958 or so)

Rich 94 VR4

·
"Sore about slapdown"
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe,
This radiator is physically the same size as the stock unit except it's about 1" thicker, hence the slim fans.

Rich,
My radiator is the same as the PPE unit (other than the fans). Iv'e never seen dark sides, but this one is made by C&R Racing.

I don't know what to tell you as far as 2nd gen overheating, unfortunatly, i think you are in a small group of 2nd gen racers. I can tell you that every car i have upgraded to an alum radiator has had dramatic results.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
TTT - I sent you a PM yesterday with a few more questions and an offer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.