Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve bought an aluminium crank shaft pulley to replace my OEM one that’s starting to go. There are a few mods on the car and it’s currently running around 370HP and 450lbs of torque. Will this amount of power cause problems later down the line with spun bearing and what not due to the lack of harmonic balancer? And if I add more power with some bigger turbos down the line will it be a problem? I have a MK1 btw. Cheers

·
One fix at a time
7,888 Posts
I don’t think I would go past 400bhp or basically past stock turbos. Once you upgrade turbos you won’t be able to support their full potential.

You can dig up some old threads of Ray’s but he basically would only recommend a stock or bpu car to run an aluminum pulley if you had to. Above that it causes issues. I’ve personally taken apart an engine that had harmonic issues at 500hp. I didn’t think it was going to be a significant from the previous owners running an aluminum pulley but the wear and tear on the bearings told the story. The wear will get progressively more and more as you get closer to the timing belt side.

·
Lord of Boost
1,316 Posts
I've never been a fan of removing the damper from the crankshaft. The cranks need them to damp the high torsional (Read: twisting) vibrations of the crankshaft that causes excess stress and as other have noted, bearing issues. Now... what most people don't know is when you change the mass-elastic model of the system by changing the inertia of parts on the car. You move the operational point for the crankshaft and damper. So, when a carbon drive shaft is used, or different mass rods/pistons are used and even super light weight wheels are used, technically, you need to update the damper. BUUUUUUTTTTT virtually no one in the aftermarket industry does that. HAHA. Hell, I fight OEM engine manufacturers that don't understand that completely.

So my unsolicited opinion would be to utilize an OEM damper on your car. Enjoy!

Reactions: gawdzinner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts