Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my new Kumhos put on today and I swear it's like a whole new car... sticks like it's on rails... is a good 1/2 -> 1 second quicker than it was... and I guarantee my fuel mileage is going to be a lot better. Ofcourse my old tires were getting bald and "cupped" as my dad called em so it would be kinda like they were hopping or something while I was driving, not to mention making the ride rather rough and noisy. These things are soooooooo much better. Was very hard to keep from speeding tonight the car just seems to be putting down 2x the power... heh it probably is ;)
So far the best mod I've done is put new tires on. Ofcourse the only other 2 I've done is powerslot rotors w/axxis pads on the front and remove the resonator... ;)
If it wasn't for this site and tirerack.com I probably would have never even looked twice at a tire named "Kumho" and would have paid $104+ for my old Goodyears... these Kumhos were $79. So $350 shipped + $66.60 mount & balanced isn't too bad I guess. :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
we didn't want to let in on our well known secret :D

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
My friend got those..once they warm up they are real nice. They will probably be what I get next....hopefully I'll need 18s though :)

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darktrail said:
They will probably be what I get next....hopefully I'll need 18s though :)

-Jeff
I wanted to get some Voxx MGRs or whatever like StealthTTBoy has but obviously wanting and needing/affording are 2 dif things ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've got these new brand of tires call "Bald or Flat", they're great, some of them don't even hold air! :D

Damn I wish I had money for new tires :) On the same day as I forked over cash for a 60k service and new Clutch, I got a flat, and now I've got 3 other tires that are unbelievably bald (you can see thread on one of them).

Gah. Talk about depressing... :(

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
I heard kumho's were good but i am getting Yokohama avs db in a week or so. I heard amazing things about these tires like how quiet and comfortable they ride and yet have fantastic grip.

·
Only Tonic is Chronic
1,549 Posts
I a running the Kumhos Extesas(sp?) And I love them..good Traction and as was stated above, when they warm up they stick like Glue.

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Wow, that's cheap as hell. I might have to look into buying Kuhmos...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Feels great huh!
Try getting new expensive tires after driving around with one tire smaller than all the other :D :D
Blowing a tire and only having enough money to replace it with a $15 tire thats smaller but fits really really sucks

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
tires are the most important part of the car, they keep you on the road, without them you wouldnt go far :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
I love my expensive tires :) I can't believe the guy who owned this car before me shelled out ~$250 for each tire (retail at $280):eek:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I love Tires

I still love the Pilots best though - Have Michelins on all my cars too - Pilots :D I even have the Pilot XGTV4 on the Olds

·
Native
3,894 Posts
If I could afford them, I'd get Michelins, but until then I guess it's Dunlops for me. Maybe next time around I'll pick up them Khumo Ecsta Supra 712s.

·
Tire Pumper Extraordinair
4,068 Posts
I have a brand new pair of Michelen Pilot XGT-Z4's in 225/55/16 stock size. They came with the car and have less than 100 miles on them (guy I bought car from needed to get new tires in the front to pass his safety before he could sell car). I wanted a softer tire so I put Comp T/A VR4's all around when I got the car.

Anyone interested in 'em? I know they go for $250+/each new but I'm willing to sell for much less than that. I'm in Canada so I don't know if shipping will make it uneconomical to ship to the US or not...

Ted

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If you like the results form the tires now you'll like it even better after about 500 miles.

Tires have a release agent on them that is used to allow the tire to be removed from the mold. It takes about 500 miles to completely wear the mold release agent off the tires. The mold release agent impairs (slightly) the traction capability of the tires. So you can expect that the performance should get even better as they wear a bit.

I'm very happy with my Toyo Proxes T1-S tires. A big improvement over the Michelin XGT's I had on previously. Much quieter and better wet handling. They are expensive ($300/each) but this is for a 255/35/19 and choices do not abound in this size.

Chris
1994 VR4

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm just kinda confused... can't believe tires would make my car louder @ the same RPMs, more responsive, and faster... ex:
Last week I went by a mobile radar station going 40MPH according to my speedo... the station either said 34-36MPH or came up blank... perhaps the zaino @ work again ;)
Last night I went by the same thing... and it now says 38MPH-40MPH. Odd.
I like it tho... seems a lot faster and it's a whole lot smoother... no more rough noisy ride. Kinda like I'm floating around the road now hehe :)

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
I have the Sumitomo HTR Z II. They wear great and the traction is good in the dry and wet. Snow they suck. Every rating seems to be about the same as the Kumho but I notice my drivability is not that great. I have them on both cars and it is just a little squirly. It doesn't track as well as I like and it's not the car. I have had everything replaced up from and it is the same on both cars. I had Goodyear on it once and it handled better on the straight. Any ideas?

How are the Kumho's for just daily driving around town and freeway? Would you suggest going with the ECSTA Supra 712 or something else?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Paul H. said:
Would you suggest going with the ECSTA Supra 712 or something else?
Since I've only driven maybe 60 miles on them since I got them yesterday @ 4PM lets let the initial shock wear off ok? ;)
So far I'm really liking them tho. Hard to not speed with such a smooth ride compared to what I did have. :)

I guess you could say you don't know how bad your tires are, until you get some new ones.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts