Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Alright...really? I know its asking price but come on

2K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  sandstone92vr4 
#1 ·

Whos is this? We need to have a talk about why its worth $12000.

#2 ·
Worth about 3k with no maintenance documentatiom and the interior being that ratty, imo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Just like anything else, the "value" of something is as much as someone is willing to pay. I'd start high with a rare color like that. I bet it still sells for $7-8k... obviously, not to you guys. :sneaky:
Then whoever buys it is a fool. I don't care how rare anything is, no maintenance history is automatically half, or less, than asking price.

#8 ·
I WISH these cars brought that kind of money. Maybe one day they will. I never thought a 3rd gen camaro would be worth over 5k again, I also never thought 98-02 LS1 fbodys could be had for $3800 (theres one on craigslist now, not a POS either).

We all have to team up and raise the prices, but all of us know they are not worth that money unless you have a low mileage 99

#10 ·
I suppose I've lived in the rust belt long enough simply overlook soft parts on a 30 yo car. This car lived in Florida, so it could be hit or miss in this case, but a southern undercarriage with a fresh paint job (if well done) would be the biggest selling points for a car that probably isn't going to be a daily driver anyway. I'd trade 75k miles and ratty seats for an assurance that the car has never lived north of the Mason Dixon line.

#11 ·
I suppose I've lived in the rust belt long enough simply overlook soft parts on a 30 yo car. This car lived in Florida, so it could be hit or miss in this case, but a southern undercarriage with a fresh paint job (if well done) would be the biggest selling points for a car that probably isn't going to be a daily driver anyway. I'd trade 75k miles and ratty seats for an assurance that the car has never lived north of the Mason Dixon line.
It's just a hard sell when it looks like that and has no maintenance history. I get people saying they're fine with no history, and that can be okay, if you want to drop 3-5k in maintenance after buying it. Is that car worth 15-17k? Absolutely not in my opinion.

#12 ·
I hear the rust belt thing, but still.....I got this for $2500 with 130k miles....I almost feel bad for the PO every time I say it, I know it had to suck but he told me the price lol. Plus has DR650's. After 1300 in shipping....I have a completely rust free 18 year old car in Cincinnati Ohio. Needed tires and suspension work, rest is perfect, I love getting in a 1992 car that is cleaner than my 10 year old trans am.

#13 ·
I wish they drove the stealth in fast and furious first movie......are cars would double in price..

But let me tell you why the Supra goes big $ and the stealth/3000gt goes home.....it is maintenance. Toyotas last for ever, Dodge does not. Nobody wants a unreliable vintage sports mobile.. 3si maintenance is more firebird than Supra. Do want to own a old firebird?

#15 · (Edited)
I wish they drove the stealth in fast and furious first movie......are cars would double in price..
price only matters if you are trying to sell. If you like these cars for what they are, you would want the price low so you can buy as many as you want and actually makes the value of your money better. If they were double the price 15 years ago, a lot of us, wouldn't have been able to buy them.

obsession with price doesn't make sense to me.

and then you have guys trying to sell for a bit more and the whole community shits on them for the price. make up your minds :D (a clapped out mkiv supra would still fetch at least double the asking price of this 3S so why complain about the price ;) )

Reactions: Black-Out
#14 ·
The supra goes for big money because it's rwd, and the stock bottom end can hold high hp. I don't think fast and furious had anything to do with why they are so valuable. I don't see maximas going for big money, or integras.

And yea, I'll take any firebird maintenance over 3si maintenance.

#27 ·
The supra goes for big money because it's rwd, and the stock bottom end can hold high hp. I don't think fast and furious had anything to do with why they are so valuable. I don't see maximas going for big money, or integras.

And yea, I'll take any firebird maintenance over 3si maintenance.
If you think that movie had nothing to do with the subsequent skyrocketing of Mk IV prices I think you are being willfully ignorant.
The first fact is that the Supra is indeed a wonderful automobile. Fast, RWD, turbo, reliable and beautiful.
Of course it is more desirable than a friggin Integra. That movie showing the future popularity obsessed fanboys this already great car in action and putting a spotlight on it did much to increase the price by prominently featuring it. They couldn't even sell enough of them before cutting the model off in 2000, and now people are tripping over their dead grandmother to throw all their borrowed money away to have one.

#17 ·
If it sells it sells. If it doesn’t it doesn’t.

#19 ·
1) People can ask whatever they want for their car
2) If you think it's overpriced, it's not for you, or make an offer (if you are even seriously looking)
3) It's worth what one person will pay for it

Pretty much as simple as that...everything else is just an opinion.
If I tried to sell my car I'd ask 1/2 what's totally invested, or $20K (no labor) and all I'd here is how overpriced it was...yet to me it's worth it because I know what it takes to build it. Like Eric said, it only matters if you're selling. I'd add - it only matters if you "have to sell it".
I feel bad for the member that sold that nice 1G green stealth so cheap...obviously either it didn't matter to him, or he had to sell it....in other words, he wasn't trying to optimize the return.

#23 ·
Why? You planning on quitting and selling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 · (Edited)
But why? Cheaper to buy cars and parts if the “prices”
are low. I think the “values” are high for what you get with a clean one. If prices rise, values will be less IMO. If these cars cost Supra money, the value is less as a 6g isn’t capable of what a 2j can do for the same money. Same for transmission options. (And more money won’t fix that, hell, even GTR money is swapping away from their setups to RWD.) And no targa option. Plus they’ll be even more expensive to maintain as parts pricing will rise as well. Both new and used.

If you love the cars for what they are, rising pricing makes no sense to wish for, unless you plan to sell, or are in a 3S business that stands to gain with rising prices.

#29 ·
That orange Supra that mattered was in one movie, skylines were in multiple, bit you can buy a skyline for less than or about the same as a supra depending on what you're looking for?

I wasn't looking for supras in the classifieds at the time of f and f, but I doubt they went from unwanted garbage to gold overnight from 1 movie. Lightning didn't, eclipses didn't, chargers didn't, rx7s didnt. Chargers and supras were still big money back then if I had to take a guess. I think the prices of supras would still be where they are regardless of the movie. Maybe I'm completely wrong. If that movie did have an impact why are the supras that look like they belong in that movie the cheaper ones? The cleanly modified ones or stock ones are bringing the big money. Maybe I'm crazy though lol.

#31 ·
Rx7s and Skylines did increase in price, as well as the Eclipse gsx. But it is true, not the same way as the Supra did. Like I said it's because the Supra is arguably a better car than all of those others and became the poster child for that hot new craze of JDM street racing. All it takes is for one choice to be favored at least half the time from the others, and soon you have quite the demand. And that Orange one featured in the movie is wack. Still can tell it's a cool car but that cheesy vinyl wrap didn't help it. The problem is these dumbasses of today have more cash than brains and are still feeding the hype.
I think the Supra should've capped out at 30k for an RZ or at least dropped down to that much a few years ago. I think the 3S is a great car but realistically I would argue that 25k for a clean, maintained one would be fairly proportional to the current 60k+ asking price of the Supra RZ.
Doubt it'll happen anytime soon but you never know.

#30 ·
Good lord. Can’t believe we are talking about F&F in 2020.

#33 ·
With my car, the reason I paid 12k for it is because of all records, original owner, 37k miles, everything worked, paint perfect, kept in garage, never winter driven.

The car in this ad, I'd have a real hard time justifying because I'd have to pile tons of money into it to make it right, especially when great examples still exist.

#34 ·
With my car, the reason I paid 12k for it is because of all records, original owner, 37k miles, everything worked, paint perfect, kept in garage, never winter driven.

The car in this ad, I'd have a real hard time justifying because I'd have to pile tons of money into it to make it right, especially when great examples still exist.

And that seems about right to me lol.

#37 ·
At least I'm doing my part. Random guy stopped at my house, asked if I wanted to sell. I over valued her because of sentimental value, said $12k. He said no, but I'm trying to raise the value. Lol

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.