Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The spun bearing thread has really got me worried. :(

I've owned my car for a few months now and have noticed the same problem from second one -- a tick, tack sound coming from the motor at idle and at low rpms (below 1500).

It happens at low RPM's and goes away under load or when reving the motor. It comes back afterwards though at idle or when the revs drop again.

I've listened and have had a hard time localizing the sound. I don't know whether I'm just covering it up by reving it or if it really just goes away. Occasionally it's noticable in the cabin, almost like something is tapping on the firewall. It will quickly subside though.

I have noticed this sound from second one and almost walked on the car because of it. The fact that it went away under load led me to believe that it wasn't rod knock or a larger failure.

I did an oil change the day after I bought the car and saw NOTHING in the oil -- not even clumpy dirt particles that I've often seen with other cars in the past. I've since driven the car 2k miles with no performance problems what so ever.

Is this the boost solenoid, a spun bearing, or just the standard lifter tick? Keep in mind that I had a DSM before and am used to light tapping from the valvetrain. The louder tack sound is what has me worried.

I'd planned on putting a half quart of atf in with my next oil change to see if this clears the problems. It's worked wonders on DSM's in the past and I see others doing the same here. A question on that -- do you guys put that in, run it through and drain it or do you just leave the atf in with the oil for the duration of the cycle?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
Try this:

Try this, when you hear that noise go in the car press the clutch in, if the noise goes away then its the throwout bearing (part of the clutch system) chattering. Mine does that too along with many other VR-4's. You usually replace this bearing everytime the clutch gets changed (I think its a $40) part. I think if you had spun bearing the engine wouldn't have lasted a few months but I could be wrong. In either case I hope its not a spun bearing!
-Good luck! :)

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
I also agree that it sounds like you are describing the throwout bearing. I was almost positive I had spun a bearing, but then found it went away when I pushed the clutch in. (On a side note, I just put in a new TOB with a new clutch but it still makes the sound! wtf?)

Try that and let us know.

·
hellbent in a dodge Viper
8,699 Posts
Dude now your scaring me :)

I have a loud lifter tick all the way through the RPM's.

In other words its currently permanent. (its only one cylinder and it sounds like its right under the valve cover).

This engine has sat of course and when I took the oil pan off it, it had NO shards or shimmering metal at all.

I believe a dirty or stuck lifter could make a tick permanent couldnt it?

The guy I bought the engine off the board said it ran strong(which it seems to do) and had no lifter tick or smoke.

So far only the lifter tick is showing up(but like i said it probably sat for 3-4 months) its been good.

·
Banned
10,938 Posts
mikes2nd said:
Dude now your scaring me :)
Sorry, I have had lifter tick from hell too.

mikes2nd said:
(its only one cylinder and it sounds like its right under the valve cover).
Guess what this means :D

Try the following on the next oil change. (from ohiospyderman)
motor flush before the change.
Use 1qt of rislone on in place of 1qt of oil.

The first time I did this It did not help much. THe second tiem was the charm :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm.. Interesting.

The louder tack that comes and goes could be the clutch chattering. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense -- it kind of sounds more towards the front middle of the car right behind the dash and is the only noise audible really from inside the car. The lighter tick/tack is fairly faint and is really only heard clearly when the hood is raised at idle.

The car won't die on a second gear dump which is normally indicative of an incorrect idle or throw out bearing problem -- correct? The idle's fine though -- about 800 rpm -- so this could be further evidence of a throw out bearing problem.

I'll see if the louder noise goes away when pressing the clutch. The quieter noise definitely goes away with rpms or a warmed up motor.

I'll check the oil on my next change for particulate. Like I said before though, there was none there the first time.

I have one last clutch related question. My car will not start without the clutch being depressed. This is true regardless of whether the car is in gear. It's a little bit weird behavior to say the least. Diagnosis?

Thanks in advance!

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
r_west said:
I have one last clutch related question. My car will not start without the clutch being depressed. This is true regardless of whether the car is in gear. It's a little bit weird behavior to say the least. Diagnosis?

Thanks in advance!
Safety feature. That way even if you are in gear and start the car, you don't jump forward!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok... Here's an update.

The louder tack doesn't go away when the clutch is pressed. It doesn't seem to be related to the clutch in any way.

I did pay close attention and it seems to only happen when the car is cold. When it heats up to what I consider normal operating temperature, the noise pretty much subsides totally.

The oil pressure is on the low side of the normal range and will creep up into the middle/high side of the normal range upon occasion.

I'm going to try ATF in the oil on my next change and see if this changes anything. I'll let you know what I find out.

Interesting note on the clutch in, safety feature. Do all 3si's do that? I don't seem to remember the other ones that I've driven doing this, but it could have just been that they were always in gear when I tried to start them.

·
Boost Leak Veteran
1,454 Posts
r_west said:
Interesting note on the clutch in, safety feature. Do all 3si's do that? I don't seem to remember the other ones that I've driven doing this, but it could have just been that they were always in gear when I tried to start them.
Yep all years have it, you can remove the feature by disconnecting the sensor (most people disconnect it for remote start). My 95 has the safety feature.
-Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.