Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lights Flickering

When I turn my headlights on, all the lights on the car flicker. They don't flicker where they turn off and on repeatedly but it dims down and then brightens up repeatedly. I thought it was a problem with the bulbs in the headlights but it happens to all the dashboard lighting as well. Anyone know how to fix this?

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,703 Posts
Can you tell us a little something about your car?
Year? Engine? Transmission? Mods?

My initial thought when you just posted that you changed the alternator, was that maybe (and this is just a maybe) your harmonic balancer is separated and the alternator belt is not always turning (especially at low engine rpms). THIS (if it is true) is not a good situation and should be taken care of immediately as much damage can occur if it completely flies apart.

Other thoughts are bad/dirty battery connections, or mods that draw a lot of current (large amps...).

Just thinking outloud....

Bob.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is the problem consistent no matter the engine speed/load? As in does it both at idle and at speed while driving? What lead to you changing the alternator in the first place?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you tell us a little something about your car?
Year? Engine? Transmission? Mods?

My initial thought when you just posted that you changed the alternator, was that maybe (and this is just a maybe) your harmonic balancer is separated and the alternator belt is not always turning (especially at low engine rpms). THIS (if it is true) is not a good situation and should be taken care of immediately as much damage can occur if it completely flies apart.

Other thoughts are bad/dirty battery connections, or mods that draw a lot of current (large amps...).

Just thinking outloud....

Bob.
1998, SOHC, 5speed manual, no mods.

When I turn on the headlights for the first time starting the car, it doesn't happen for like 5 seconds and then it will start to flicker. After that, even under load or idle the lights will still flicker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the problem consistent no matter the engine speed/load? As in does it both at idle and at speed while driving? What lead to you changing the alternator in the first place?
Car was stalling out even under load before. Thought it was the alternator so I replaced it and it kept happening. Then I replaced the IAC to fix that issue.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,703 Posts
I'll put it out there again....

Have you checked and cleaned the battery connections?
I'm not familiar with the grounding locations on a SOHC, but on the DOHC, there is at least one that goes from the firewall to the engine (on a DOHC, the one I can remember is near the back side of the intake plenum).

Electrical gremlins can be the hardest to beat....

Bob.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Car was stalling out even under load before. Thought it was the alternator so I replaced it and it kept happening. Then I replaced the IAC to fix that issue.
Wait so you replaced the alternator because the car was cutting off, and even after you replaced the alternator it still cuts off? Have you checked the battery? If your battery had a bad cell or a short I could see it causing all sorts of problems. In fact, if you know your alternator is good, that would point to the battery even more(unless your engine is surging wildly, which we can't tel in the video). Alternator output is cyclical and not constant, meaning there are dips in voltage when it actually isn't producing anymore based on where the rotor is in the stator. In a functioning system the battery smooths this out by supplying the constant voltage it has stored so your car never sees the dips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wait so you replaced the alternator because the car was cutting off, and even after you replaced the alternator it still cuts off? Have you checked the battery? If your battery had a bad cell or a short I could see it causing all sorts of problems. In fact, if you know your alternator is good, that would point to the battery even more(unless your engine is surging wildly, which we can't tel in the video). Alternator output is cyclical and not constant, meaning there are dips in voltage when it actually isn't producing anymore based on where the rotor is in the stator. In a functioning system the battery smooths this out by supplying the constant voltage it has stored so your car never sees the dips.
No, replacing the IAC completely fixed that problem. Car doesn't cut off or anything at all when driving. Battery is fairly new as well, bought it like 2 months ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lights Flickering

When I turn my headlights on, all the lights on the car flicker. They don't flicker where they turn off and on repeatedly but it dims down and then brightens up repeatedly. I thought it was a problem with the bulbs in the headlights but it happens to all the dashboard lighting as well. Anyone know how to fix this?
Look for a bad ground maybe under the fuse box. Just went through the same thing with a 91 sohc. Was told alternator was bad replaced with a new alternator. Headlight doors started going up and down traced it to a bad ground hope this helps Z Skynyrd

·
Registered
10 Posts
Look for a bad ground maybe under the fuse box. Just went through the same thing with a 91 sohc. Was told alternator was bad replaced with a new alternator. Same problem not charging, car sputtering sometimes Headlight doors started going up and down dash flicker. Check plug going into alternator make sure it is getting a signal to charge battery. Traced it to a bad intermittent ground under the fuse box. hope this helps Z Skynyrd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts