Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading more literature, it says that my 92 SL standard equipment comes with an alarm system...If I open the hood, it does have the little plunger switches, but I see no indication anywhere else such as a light, led or anything...do our vehicles come stock with an alarm? What can I do to troubleshoot mine if it has one? (I don't think its working if it does!)
Thanks in advance! Randy

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
I'm pretty sure they all do.. except maybe the base Stealth. The only light on our car that indicates an alarm is in the lower right of the instrument panel.. I've noticed that this light doesn't always come on, but when it does, it is green and say "SECURITY".
Do you have keyless entry as well?? I'm assuming that you do.. to test your alarm, do this. Roll down your window, and then close your car door. with the keyless remote(I guess you really don't need it, but..) lock the door.. Now, since your window is open, reach inside and manually unlock your door. If you then open your door, your alarm will go off. The lights will pop up and your horn will go on/off as your lights flash on/off.. it will do this until you put the key into the door and turn it.. And you can turn on your car while the alarm is going off, either..

Again, post it if I included any discrepencies..

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
Oops.. I meant you CAN'T turn on your car while the alarm is going off.. Thats part of the purpose of the alarm..

-LDG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Randy, your car should have one stock. I believe they all came with them. if your alarm is active you will see a little green light in your gauge cluster that says security when you lock the car. It stays lit for app. 20 seconds then goes out. there are sensors on both doors and I'm not sure but I think the hood and the trunk as well. if it goes off the only way to disable it is to put your key in the door and lock or unlock it real fast.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
On the contrary... You in fact CAN start the car when the alarm is going off. There is no starter kill in the factory alarm. But starting the car does NOT turn off the alarm. As was mentioned, you must use the key in the door or hatch locks and lock/unlock the car with the key. The doors, trunk, and hood are protected. There is no shock/motion sensor either.

EricB

·
Large Member
6,163 Posts
I can open my trunk w/o the alarm going off..

SUTHNR.. -- I thought that I had read in my owners manual that it disables the engine, too..? Maybe not.. oh well..

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My alarm goes off whenever I push down on the headlights (usually when washing the car) Would that mean it has shock sensor?

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Spuffin, you wash your car with it locked? Isn't that a bit paranoid? ;-)

It's possible you're having a problem that described in an earlier post. The hood is protected, and the switch is located close to the passenger headlight. There is also a hood-height-adjuster located up there. It's a black rubber tab about 3/4" in diameter and you can screw it in and out to raise/lower it's height. I'd recommend giving it about a full turn or turn and a half OUT (counter-clockwise) to raise the resting point of the hood just a tad. This should solve your problem.

Silverbullet, Not sure what the manual says about it, but when mine went off the first time and I had no idea it even had an alarm, I hopped in and started the car thinking that would kill it and it had no effect at all... Kept on honking.

EricB

[This message has been edited by SUTHNR (edited December 06, 1999).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't think mine had an alarm system on it either until one night i was talking with a friend in my car with it off and i hit the lock button not realizing it. So when i got out of my car I was very startled by horns and lights. This happened in the middle of a mail parking lot and what made me real paranoid was i had no clue how to turn it off. Then I thought of how other factoriy alarms work, stuck the key in my door lock and turn it back. And just as fast as it came my alarm was no longer going off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.