Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday I finally ot my car back from getting the tranny fixed, thank god cottman has a 6 month warrenty. But anyway, thats a different story. I drove my car for a day, and then on friday, I went to go start my car, doesnt start, it sounds like only 2 cylinders fire!! So, we tried putting in some more gas and some dry gas.. no dice. Finally I tow my car home, and we start to look around. Took the timing belt covers off, and the belt is extremely loose. I could skip it by hand, if I wanted to. so we are cranking the engine to see what happens, and we can see it skipping, by just cranking the engine!!! No good! so, we took it all apart, and we think the auto tensioner is bad! what do u guys think? Hopefully, the timing is what caused it to not start! Also, any advice on retiming the engine from scratch?

Adrian

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You need to get a shop manual and set everything up to top dead center. And check all your marks for crank and cam clearance.

I dont know why but maybe the tranny guys turned the crank counter clockwise trying to get something to line up (depending if it is auto or manual)

We had to turn the crank pulley on my stealth to get the flex plate lined up.

Your supposed to turn it clock wise only.

If your timing marks are off you should do a compression check if it has low comrpession pull the heads and either have them reworked or have a compression check done and see what needs reworking.

Most local shops will do a vavle job for around 300 dollars (2 heads) the labor and expense comes from pulling the heads, relacing the timing belt and tesnioner, head gaskets, and other misc gaskets you need to replace after doing anything to your heads.

Sorry about your bad luck man. I would contact the shop owner/manager (dont fuck around with anyone but the man who makes the descisions)

And explain your problem.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally got it running, but there is a chatter somewhere, we think its the tensioner bottoming out. But, all my valves are good, thank god! Thanks for the advice guys! Hopefully i will be back on the road today!

Adrian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts