Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997, mitsubishi 3000gt, manual, fwd
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So ive recently changed my aftermarket stereo to a newer one, while doing so i removed a whole mess of wires the previous owner left and just left the stock plug, after wiring it all up and then turning on the car, the radio works but then my dimmer switch burned out, thinking it was bad i got another one, which also burned out, ive got tail lights and brake lights so i know its not the fuse, plus its not burned out. Im stuck and dunno what to do.
Top picture is his, bottom is mine. Last pic is all the stuff he had in, dunno why there was a relay, has 3 grey 1 blue 1 green wire.

(Update, fixed it.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So ive recently changed my aftermarket stereo to a newer one, while doing so i removed a whole mess of wires the previous owner left and just left the stock plug, after wiring it all up and then turning on the car, the radio works but then my dimmer switch burned out, thinking it was bad i got another one, which also burned out, ive got tail lights and brake lights so i know its not the fuse, plus its not burned out. Im stuck and dunno what to do.
Top picture is my wiring, bottom was his

·
Registered
588 Posts
Given the information provided one has to assume this problem only started after you installed the new radio.

Sounds like your illumination wire is incorrectly hooked up or partially grounded. The stock radio harness does not have a dimmer wire in it, just an illumination wire. Those two things are not the same and hooking an aftermarket radio's dimmer wire to a factory illumination wire, or vice versa, can cause bad things to happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given the information provided one has to assume this problem only started after you installed the new radio.

Sounds like your illumination wire is incorrectly hooked up or partially grounded. The stock radio harness does not have a dimmer wire in it, just an illumination wire. Those two things are not the same and hooking an aftermarket radio's dimmer wire to a factory illumination wire, or vice versa, can cause bad things to happen.
Yeah thats what i did wrong, i combined the 2 illumination wires, disconnected them and it worked 👍

1 - 4 of 4 Posts