Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys,
On stock turbos, with mbc, intake, and dp, will a new BOV be necessary? I'm planning on getting a GReddy Type-S, but I'd like to go ahead and install this stuff and get the BOV around Christmas time if I can. Is that okay? Thanks.
Chris

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
It isn't 'necessary' in the sense that your car will blow up if you don't have one, but I would recommend one. Well, unless you can live with the Honking Goose© sound of the stock BOV. :) The stock one leaks some, so going with an aftermarket one is the way to go.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Just get a 1g DSM one with adaptor from Buschur Racing ( http://www.buschurracing.com ) - the same one they sell for 2g DSMs.

Cheaper, just as effective, and no weird settings to worry about.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so leaving the stock BOV on for now will not harm the car. But switching to an aftermarket one will make it sound better, right? Thanks, guys.
Chris

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
GO 4LO said:
Okay, so leaving the stock BOV on for now will not harm the car. But switching to an aftermarket one will make it sound better, right? Thanks, guys.
Chris
Something like that. The aftermarket one won't leak like the stock one will. :) But yeah, you can hold off til Christmas or whenever to get an aftermarket one and you won't harm your car.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
yes, it will sound 100x better.

·
Registered
764 Posts
"A blow off valve is a very important upgrade when upgrading your car. The function of a blow off valve is to relieve compressor "surge" caused when the throttle plate closes under boost. The throttle plate closes as you let off to slow down or shift. If this happens while the air is pressurized, then the air will be forced back to the turbos, causing surge. If repeated, this may eventually cause damage to the turbocharger. An additional benefit of a blow off valve is quicker boost recovery. By blowing off the unneeded air, the turbo is able to recover much quicker after a shift without having to force back the initial charge air.. We recommend and run this in our cars!"
-Dynamic Racing

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
GO 4LO said:
So I might damage my turbos if I don't upgrade the bov now?
Chris
No, not with those mods that you plan on doing. The statement that Shane posted above just says why you need a BOV, but doesn't relate back to the stock BOV that you already have. Dynamic racing was saying that you need a BOV, that's all. The stock BOV will begin to leak air the more you upgrade. Thus, you *might not* be able to hold boost as well as with an aftermarket BOV.

Your car will be fine with the stock BOV and the mods that you plan on doing. It will function, it will work.

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Stock BOV, No problems

With Stock turbos you won't have any problems with the stock BOV, except for maybe the dreaded honking goose noise, I am not sure about Aftermarket turbos.

I have been running similar mods for 3000 miles now, including 2 autocrosses. No problems, no honking goose sound.

The problem with the stock BOV is that it can leak air at higher boost pressures. An open element air cleaner seems to cause some stock BOV's to make a honking noise at a certain RPM.

You will not damage your compresser wheels because the stock BOV tends to bleed off pressure at higher boost levels. The stock BOV is adequate to protect turbos. The surge of pressure when you let off the gas suddenly is what harms the turbo. The pressure surge also slows down your spooled up turbo.

The theory behind a aftermarket BOV is to bleed off pressure faster than stock BOV. Less backpressure means less load in turbine wheels. Less backpressure also means that turbos will stay spolled up faster. So you will reduce turbo lag between shifts.

The other reason for an aftermarket BOV is it sounds cooler. You can hear the air purge between shifts, very cool.:cool:

There are 2 types of Aftermarket BOVs

1.Vents to intake and 2. Vents to Atmosphere

1. Vents to intake: Greddy Type S and 1G DSM: Takes the extra pressure and vents it between the MAS and the Turbo. The advantage to this is that the MAS measures all the air that passes it and adjusts the amount of fuel needed. If you vent air back into the track the currect air fuel mixture will be maintained.
Because it vents to intake this is fairly quiet

2. Vents to Atmosphere: Blitz SBOV: Takes the extra pressure and vents it Atmosphere. The advantage to this is that it can vent air very quickly and it is nice and loud. The bad thing is the MAS measures all the air that passes it and adjusts the amount of fuel needed. If you vent air into the atmosphere the MAS add fuel to engine for air that was vented. You then will run rich between shifts. This works fine for some people and for other people the car stumbles between shifts. IF you have a VPC (Vien Pressure Controller) you do not have a MAS so the Vents to atmosphere type BOVs work well.

·
The Wizard Of Aaahhhhh's
1,596 Posts
I still have the stock one with my mods, but not for long. I'm planning on going with a GReddy Type S also. The honking goose™ is getting really annoying. ;)

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts