Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

101 - 120 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
2012 Jag XKR-S. Not a replacement but an addition. 550HP in stock trim. And it's also in blue :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
This sports car with storage and towing capacity.

Gotta love something ridiculously fast that's actually practical.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

·
|RLII Photography|
3,183 Posts
Kind of surprised that more folks haven't gravitated towards the E90/E92 335. I'm always struck a little bit when I drive my VR-4 after the 335... there are really a lot of similarities.

Holy hell though, what a great car. Twin turbo straight 6, 6 speed manual, great interior, great seats, lots of toys. Made 400rwhp/450rwtq on the dyno with a splash of E85 in the tank with just a piggyback and some K&N filters.

Still love this car though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Kind of surprised that more folks haven't gravitated towards the E90/E92 335. I'm always struck a little bit when I drive my VR-4 after the 335... there are really a lot of similarities.

Holy hell though, what a great car. Twin turbo straight 6, 6 speed manual, great interior, great seats, lots of toys. Made 400rwhp/450rwtq on the dyno with a splash of E85 in the tank with just a piggyback and some K&N filters.

Still love this car though.

In my case, I already have an E60 M5. the 335 would be a step back. My son and I are leaving TODAY for Spartanburg, SC and BMW's performance center to pick up his second M3. He has an E46 now and is going to sell it for his E92 ........ his was close to the last ever M3 to be built:( Now, that I'm about done with the engine/chassis mods he admits the E46 is no match either straight or AutoX. Can't wait to drive the E92 home tomorrow (after our track time) to see how it compares to the VR4. That IS a bit concerning:) They are great road machines.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Just got it 3 weeks ago, no pictures yet. But here is the link, looks exactly the same

http://www.netcarshow.com/jaguar/2012-xkr-s/
Love it. Jag has come soooo far with both mechanicals and looks. That is going to be many, many hours/miles of sweet motoring.

Have you seen the new F-type? Oh, man gorgeous like your ride. Last night I revealed the plan to my wife that the F-type would be taking the place of the VR4 ...... someday :)

·
|RLII Photography|
3,183 Posts
In my case, I already have an E60 M5. the 335 would be a step back. My son and I are leaving TODAY for Spartanburg, SC and BMW's performance center to pick up his second M3. He has an E46 now and is going to sell it for his E92 ........ his was close to the last ever M3 to be built:( Now, that I'm about done with the engine/chassis mods he admits the E46 is no match either straight or AutoX. Can't wait to drive the E92 home tomorrow (after our track time) to see how it compares to the VR4. That IS a bit concerning:) They are great road machines.
Don't get me wrong, I love the E60 M5 but it's kind of apples to oranges comparing the E60 M5 to an E90 335. The 335 doesn't require a second mortgage to operate on a daily basis :p The F10 M5 is one of my favorite cars to come out in a long time though. That's a car that will definitely be on my short list in the coming years. Hopefully they'll make enough 6 speeds to have some choices in the used market.

The E92 is a great car and that V8 is a screamer but it's one of the worst kept secrets out there that a lightly modded 335 will eat them for lunch in a straight line (the N54 will make almost double the torque to the wheels over the S65). For me I really wanted all the M3 bits but with the N54, so the closest thing available was the M-Sport E90 335.

Congrats to your son. They will still make the M3, just looks like the coupe version will be the M4. It doesn't bother me with the name change but I can understand it upsetting the 'purists'. Whatever it is called, the next car looks like it will be pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Don't get me wrong, I love the E60 M5 but it's kind of apples to oranges comparing the E60 M5 to an E90 335. The 335 doesn't require a second mortgage to operate on a daily basis :p The F10 M5 is one of my favorite cars to come out in a long time though. That's a car that will definitely be on my short list in the coming years. Hopefully they'll make enough 6 speeds to have some choices in the used market.

The E92 is a great car and that V8 is a screamer but it's one of the worst kept secrets out there that a lightly modded 335 will eat them for lunch in a straight line (the N54 will make almost double the torque to the wheels over the S65). For me I really wanted all the M3 bits but with the N54, so the closest thing available was the M-Sport E90 335.

Congrats to your son. They will still make the M3, just looks like the coupe version will be the M4. It doesn't bother me with the name change but I can understand it upsetting the 'purists'. Whatever it is called, the next car looks like it will be pretty amazing.
I agree with the analogy. So far, though, I'll have to see more from the F10. (Maybe a better sound system to pump more realistic exhaust sound into the cabin :) ). Mixed reviews so far. The best, of course, is that it does everything so well that you don't notice how well it does. Hmmmmm. And like your idea of added HP to the 335, getting another 50-75hp out of the S85 won't require the second mortgage. Would like to see a challenge between an E60 and F10 on the Ring. (BTW .... we're speculating that they'll have switched the E60 to the F10 for the TrackTaxi at the performance center, so I'll have an opportunity get out on the track with one.)

The purists are mad as hell at the M3 --> M4 name change for the coupe, but I'm with you .......... its just a name. BMW is establishing the M brand and will continue to refine each member of that brand. I won't be mad when Mitsubishi brings out the new VR5 :)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Love it. Jag has come soooo far with both mechanicals and looks. That is going to be many, many hours/miles of sweet motoring.

Have you seen the new F-type? Oh, man gorgeous like your ride. Last night I revealed the plan to my wife that the F-type would be taking the place of the VR4 ...... someday :)
Yes, I saw at at the dealer when I picked up XKR-S. Looked very nice, but it was a two seater. I needed 4 seats for the kids:)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I agree with the analogy. So far, though, I'll have to see more from the F10. (Maybe a better sound system to pump more realistic exhaust sound into the cabin :) ). Mixed reviews so far. The best, of course, is that it does everything so well that you don't notice how well it does. Hmmmmm. And like your idea of added HP to the 335, getting another 50-75hp out of the S85 won't require the second mortgage. Would like to see a challenge between an E60 and F10 on the Ring. (BTW .... we're speculating that they'll have switched the E60 to the F10 for the TrackTaxi at the performance center, so I'll have an opportunity get out on the track with one.)

The purists are mad as hell at the M3 --> M4 name change for the coupe, but I'm with you .......... its just a name. BMW is establishing the M brand and will continue to refine each member of that brand. I won't be mad when Mitsubishi brings out the new VR5 :)
I am looking for a new track car now and BWM is on my list. However, I am thinking about 135i or 135is. It's smaller and lighter that M3 and with "simple" mods from Dinan you can push it to 400/400 at the crank easily while keeping the factory warranty. Plus, aftermarket suspension is available as well.

Another possibility is BRZ, but I have a really hard time getting over 200hp output ... :)

·
|RLII Photography|
3,183 Posts
I am looking for a new track car now and BWM is on my list. However, I am thinking about 135i or 135is. It's smaller and lighter that M3 and with "simple" mods from Dinan you can push it to 400/400 at the crank easily while keeping the factory warranty. Plus, aftermarket suspension is available as well.

Another possibility is BRZ, but I have a really hard time getting over 200hp output ... :)
Forget Dinan. Get a JB4 Burger Motorsports Official Website | BurgerTuning.com Like I said in my previous post I made 400 horsepower and 450 ft/lbs to the wheels with just a JB4, intakes, and some E85.

The 135 is a great car and not all that different from the E90/92 3 series other than size and looks.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Forget Dinan. Get a JB4 Burger Motorsports Official Website | BurgerTuning.com Like I said in my previous post I made 400 horsepower and 450 ft/lbs to the wheels with just a JB4, intakes, and some E85.

The 135 is a great car and not all that different from the E90/92 3 series other than size and looks.
Does this tuning cause check light or anything similar? Do you have any issues with emission testing? This website is awesome!

Another quick BMW question. It looks like now 135 has N55 engine. Was it N54 before that, pre 2010? Any difference as far as reliability or tuning potential between engines? I think 335 has N54

·
|RLII Photography|
3,183 Posts
Does this tuning cause check light or anything similar? Do you have any issues with emission testing? This website is awesome!

Another quick BMW question. It looks like now 135 has N55 engine. Was it N54 before that, pre 2010? Any difference as far as reliability or tuning potential between engines? I think 335 has N54
By now, Burger Tuning has really sorted out the JB4 quite well and CELs are pretty much non existant. I have an older version that controls boost differently so I will occasionally get a code due to my intakes but I can read/clear it while I am driving through the steering wheel controls. It's very rare that I ever get the code. Being able to read and clear codes through the steering wheel controls is really awesome.

BMW switched to the N55 after the 2010 model year, except the current 335is which still has the N54. It's pretty much the same engine except the N55 uses a single twin scroll turbo rather than two small twins like the N54. The N54 will make a little more power overall with the same mods but the N55 is still a great engine. I specifically looked for a 2010 for this reason (last year of the N54) but would not have passed on a 2011 if I found the right one.

·
Bored User
8,533 Posts
Rob,

How many miles on your VR-4 now? Ever consider selling it..? :)

-A

·
Breaks everything
9,937 Posts
Got a FD, occasionally i miss the VR4's ability to gobble up the road w/o any effort. But for driving enjoyment, dollar for dollar the FD is hard to match.

Jason

101 - 120 of 141 Posts