Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a catch all companion thread for my other 3 aero threads because this is about to get complicated.

I can't believe I'm writing this but I've hired Kyle Forster as a consultant for my aero work in as I suppose I'm dragging the platform into the 21st century. Kyle was one of the aero designers for the Mercedes formula 1 team, has a aero design company and has a YouTube channel and has a Phd in aerodynamics.

While Kyle is doing consulting, having him do CFD costs $1,500 per run so I'm looking at my own software and a 3D wizard to mod a 3d model of a 1st gen as we add more bits.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,207 Posts
I get that you now have a project, but paying someone?
What is the motivation?
I realize that you're not doing the best, but throwing money at an "interesting" project?
Seems like there is more at play here than the project...

I love you man (no homo)...

Bob.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that you now have a project, but paying someone?
What is the motivation?
I realize that you're not doing the best, but throwing money at an "interesting" project?
Seems like there is more at play here than the project...

I love you man (no homo)...

Bob.
Well, Bob. That's an interesting story that is probably better discussed elsewhere. Since we all help each other keeping our cars on the road and making them the best they can be, I figured I'd just go ahead and do the heavy lifting. Be that as it may, the platform is, as you are aware, one of the most pleasing designs without spending an additional 50k. However, it was designed in the 1980s way before serious aerodynamic work was done on computers so it's design, while ahead of it's time, is dated. What still amazes me after all these years is the attention they paid to the details like the C pillar vents and pretty flat bottom of the car.

Also, if you look at the weight distribution (and my desire to keep the mechanics stock), the weight ratio favors the front by quite a bit which can be modified with downforce. It's been my experience that my car "feels" like the ass end is drifting out when it's actually oversteer, probably induced by the rear steering. I read something by someone that races their Stealth who took off the rear steering and was getting better track times - which I suspect is actually just being more comfortable with the handling more than anything.

So, the front air dam is done and the vortex generators put a TON of air over that banana now and I mean it's like the thing is mounted on the roof, so that's squared away. So the last bit in axis of evil is increasing the downforce. I've already made the Gurney flap and am starting the diffuser design and build. So spending a few hundred on the guy who helped design Louis Hamilton's car should be a pretty good: A. Bragging rights B. Verify my design.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,207 Posts
I "think" maybe I get it.
Your engineering brain won't sleep.
Surprising sine you have 7000+ empty beer cans....can't imagine your wife drank 6000 of them...lol..

I'll anxiously wait to see where this project goes (knowing that with a Spyder, I probably can't benefit from it).

Just take care of yourself, OK?

Bob.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I "think" maybe I get it.
Your engineering brain won't sleep.
Surprising sine you have 7000+ empty beer cans....can't imagine your wife drank 6000 of them...lol..

I'll anxiously wait to see where this project goes (knowing that with a Spyder, I probably can't benefit from it).

Just take care of yourself, OK?

Bob.
And get this. There's a disabled kid here in Michigan who collects empties from people, splits with them 50/50 on the returns because, damn people got a LOT of empties from the lockdown. Poor guy is at home with his parents and is trying to go to school so he can learn a trade. We actually had a kid at work just like this so I know where he's coming from. So I send him a FaceBook message and go, "How'd you like 400 bucks in empties and keep the split?"

Well, the guy can't make it to where we are - his mother broke both ankles and he can't get around since he can't drive. So I show up in a classic supercar with hundreds of empties for him. Just how we roll up here in Michigan. When we're allowed to go out that is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts