Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering which ecu I should get. Brand new to tuning so I wanna make the best choice for my car. I’ve read many discussions that the chrome is a really good for simple tuning and as well as a bargain deal, while the aem being a standalone is gonna have better options obviously, but Ive seen many people say to go with the chrome instead of your not looking for BIG power. Probably somewhere around 450-500whp is fine for me.
Here is a list of mods I’ve done to my 97 vr4:
-Wesco 92mm pistons
-Forged rods
-3sx 3rd Gen lifters
-Cxracing side mount intercoolers
-k&n air intake
-TEC 15g turbos
-Stage 3 clutch set
-aftermarket boost gauge
-wideband afr gauge
-BC coil overs
I’m planning to upgrade the turbos probably Kinugawa or Arashi’s td04hl 20t’s and get me bigger injectors as well most likely 550cc and a bigger fuel pump. I’m gonna be mostly running pump only and so I was wondering if the AEM is is worth spending the extra $1,000 or if the chrome is just as good for my goal.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,748 Posts
And again...

Help with stand alone options <<

It is more about the features and utilization. If you are not DIY, then ask your tuner... otherwise, you will need to consider the learning curve for yourself too.

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi 3000gt VR-4
198 Posts
My opinion would be stay away from chrome. Stick with tried and true with reliable support from the manufacturer. Something chrome doesn't have.

AEM infinity works wonders for our cars. The only thing is something with the cam angle sensor or the crank sensor. I personally am on aem v2.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,748 Posts
uh oh, I'm being used as an example.😬
Haha I already referenced/linked it in another thread just the other day. This topic comes up way too much now!

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

//edit// not intended to be embarrassing** good, informative posts in that thread

·
Obsessive Carpolsive
2,142 Posts
Honestly, with your goals of 450 - 500hp you shouldn't be on the fence between Chrome and AEM Stand Alone. It should be between just a SAFC II Piggyback or Chrome. You don't need the amount of control AEM Standalone gives you with that horsepower goal.

Reactions: let-luse99

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,775 Posts
AEM all day.

More features. Engine safety features. Can grow with you as mods grow. (Bigger injectors, nitrous etc.)

Add a Flex fuel sensor for $60
Mac boost solenoid for $35

And even have true flex fuel by having your AEM set up to raise and lower boost automatically based on ethanol content.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts