Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
russianstealth said:
you can! you only need a wideband O2 sensor and turn on the autotune feature, drive the car and it tunes by itself!
Ill have to disagree with you on this. It took my buddy forever to figure out the setup on a 98 GS-T eclipse.
He has AEM/FJO wideband. I do not think it would be any different on our car with AEM/wideband...... BTW, he still did not figure out how to work half of the features AEM offers.....

On the other note, that is a great price!!:bigthumb:

·
AEM Veteran
2,061 Posts
russianstealth said:
you can! you only need a wideband O2 sensor and turn on the autotune feature, drive the car and it tunes by itself!
The AEM does NOT, NOT, NOT tune itself. It has an automapping function to help create basic fuel maps, but all the other tuning you have to do yourself. I can't stress enough that this thing is not simple or easy. At all. Much of the hard work you have to do with other standalones is already done, but you still have lots of parameters and correction tables that need to be understood and tweaked. Some people like learning and troubleshooting and tinkering...if this is you then look into the EMS. If you want something to set and forget, the AEM is NOT for you.

I think AEM is being a bit deceptive with their marketing for this by calling it "plug-and-play". It is much easier to use than other systems, and it is a great product, but implying that it's easy or appropriate for use by beginners is just not true.

The bottom line is this: the AEM gives you total control over every aspect of your engine. If you don't understand all of those aspects, you can easily use that power to cost yourself a rebuild. They have good manuals and great tech support, so if you're willing to put in the time and effort then you can certainly learn how it all works. But don't buy it expecting it to be as simple as an S-AFC.

- Brian

·
AEM Veteran
2,061 Posts
Twin Jim said:
That's not available yet. It's still in the developement stage. Who knows when or if it will be available!
The autotune feature has been out for several weeks now. Works pretty well for making fuel maps. There's a LOT more to tuning these things than fuel maps, though. :)

- Brian

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
You just gotta read the manual. I think that static tuning on the street is more accurate than dyno tuning. This is where an autotune mode shines. If anyone wants to know exactly how to tune a standalone that way, PM Mike Kenson on this board.

·
AEM Veteran
2,061 Posts
[h]ardocp_geek said:
You just gotta read the manual. I think that static tuning on the street is more accurate than dyno tuning. This is where an autotune mode shines. If anyone wants to know exactly how to tune a standalone that way, PM Mike Kenson on this board.
Street tuning can get you good fuel maps, but it's very hard to tune timing maps without a dyno.

·
Banned
10,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fwombat, your DIY wideband, how did you do that? where, how much, i can't imagine that an FJO is like 600 bucks. can you give me some info on it?

and i understand that it's not just plug and forget.

·
AEM Veteran
2,061 Posts
russianstealth said:
fwombat, your DIY wideband, how did you do that? where, how much, i can't imagine that an FJO is like 600 bucks. can you give me some info on it?
Here's the page:

http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm

They offer DIY kits or pre-assembled models. No matter what you choose, it's still less than the FJO.

- Brian

·
AEM Veteran
2,061 Posts
I did it myself, and it took MUCH longer than I thought it would.

After the exchange rates to AU dollars, it ends up being like US$50 for him to put it together for you. He also tests and calibrates it. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a prebuilt unit.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts