Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Doc
1,487 Posts
I am running an AEM coolant temp gauge as well, is there a write up on adapting this coolant gauge to read to the EMS instead of the OEM coolant temp sensor?

Thanks.

BSN-CCRN, 68W, EMT

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,194 Posts
Yup! Just connect the gauge's analog output to Pin # 63 and reconfigure in AEM.

-Alan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well late last night my Son and I hooked up the laptop and connected to the AEM. Setup all the sensors etc, configured some basic warm idle parameters according to Jonathan Fasking and cranked her up. Started right away with just a little rough running for a few seconds then the idle started to smooth out and ramp up past our initial 1200 rpm. Pulled down the idle% vs Target map way down to basically zero and got it idling at 1200 rpm - it was pig rich at 9.5 / 9.8 AFR. I played a bit with the fuel map at that point pulling down the fuel in the fuel map which helped with the richness but as it closed in on 11 AFR the idle speed started to go up, then it was getting rich again but I didn't have time to play with it more as it was late. I JUST now as I typed this have an idea as to why it started to richen up (Idle% VS Target was sloping back up as rpm increased..... I'm VERY sure there are a bunch more things I need to do but hey it was just my first play attempt. Was very cool having the car fire right up, getting to play with the live running engine from the laptop, and learning.

We did notice the BOV was open at idle so we need to correct that prior to our next tuning attempt. Looks like we are going to have to add washers to the BOV Piston

Thanks everyone who has helped with their knowledge!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
So I'm going adding an Oil Pressure Sensor and Oil Temp Sensor, Pin 54, 111, and 112 are EGT sensors but since I'm not using EGT I suppose I could take over those signals and re-assign through AEMTuner to the Pressure and Temp sensors.

As to where I am placing the sensors, the Oil Pressure sensor will replace the factory sender (hockey puck) that went to one of the gauges above the radio. I got a 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NTP adapter from 3SX.com and everything worked well on installation. NOTE: With the 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT adapter it pushed the sensor out too far so when you plug it into the harness it touches the axle - well that won't work - so I took the adapter out and just screwed the 1/8 NPT into the 1/8 BSPT hole with plenty of gasola and a nice snug fit, hopefully it won't leak, if it does I'll try going tighter.

For the Temp Sensor I originally got a 3/8 BSPT to 3/8 NTP brass adapter then a 3/8 NPT T and was just going to put the original 3/8 BSPT fitting into the 3/8 NPT fitting with plenty of teflon to seal it up but after getting all these parts there was not enough clearance in the area so now we are going to get a 14m x 1.5 to 1/8 NPT adapter and put it in the oil drain plug.

The only hold up now is where to wire the signal wires up to the AEM Series 2.

·
Pro xfercase destroyer
5,418 Posts
I'd probably use pins 111 (ADR16) and 112 (ADR15). I seem to recall there being something different about the EGR sensor inputs, and possibly having to open the EMS case and move jumpers if you wanted to use them for something other than AEM's RTD-type EGT sensors. 111 and 112 are listed as spare 0-5V channels in the EMS application notes for 3/S.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes I am planning on using 111 and 112, I configured my AEMTuner to use ADR16 and ADR15 for the Oil Pressure Sensor and Spare Temp Sensor 1 and it seemed like configuration was going to be OK. I have not yet had time to wire them into these locations yet nor complete assembly of the car as I have just been too busy.

I did notice on the Temp Sensor that the instructions said I will need to use a 2 ohm pull up resistor, I haven't yet googled how to do this.

If anyone can add to what mjannusch said about there being something different with the EGR sensor inputs (or not) that requires moving jumpers I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just a follow-up on this. According to AEM, the jumpers for EGT in the Series 2 EMS are set by default for 0-5v input and only need to be moved if you are hooking up RTD EGT sensors.
Ok good info however I guess my question is the temp sensor is a 2 wire deal, 1 wire goes to sensor ground the other to the ECU so there is no voltage.

The schematic for it is here http://aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-2012%20Sensor%20Data.pdf

It shows a pull up resistor and +5v being wired into the sensor output side after the sensor - would love to avoid having to do this but no big deal. I have now spent more time writing about it then it would take me to actually do it LOL so I guess I'll just do it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts