Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on cleaning under the hood? 80K on my TT, never cleaned anything under the hood.
Lookin pretty...dirty. Are "engine degreasers" any good? Can you wash the engine compartment? (will the water harm the electronic parts or rust the metal--what should be covered first?).

Thanks
Raz

·
Registered
431 Posts
I haven't have much luck with "degreasers". They seem to cause more trouble than they're worth, plus they smell bad. If you were to use some, use a very low concentration.

Make sure your engine is cool so as not to crack or warp any heavy metal components.

Cover the coil pack area with a plastic supermarket bag and try to avoid getting too much water on or around the throttle body area.

I found that to remove the gluey stuff called "cosmoline" (sp?) that sand seems to stick to, I could rub a light coat of motor oil on the affected area and let the oil break it down for a few minutes. Then it wipes with an old cloth. Repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I had mine steam-cleaned by some local auto place. Whether or not the guy lied when he claimed that he did work for all the local auto dealers, he did no damage to my electrics, and it looks a hell of a lot better.

Cost $30, and that was 9 months ago, so I don't think that I'll be having any problems!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I just pressure washed it. tried to protect some areas with a plastic bag and tape, but that was a waste of time as the spray blew it off. No matter, it ran fine anyway. Cost: $3.50

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
I have found the ultimate engine degreaser. Especially on heavy grease but it works on most everything. You won't believe this but it is easy off. It has never hurt any of the plastic or rubber on my engines and I use it all the time. It takes off crease great. I usually use a mild detergent afterwards to take off the light dirt and then armor all the plastics and hoses. Hope this helps.

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
Sorry, I though I made it clear. Easy Off (oven cleaner) You can use any brand oven cleaner I guess but I have found that easy off works the best for me and it is cheaper than engine cleaner and works a lot better.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Eric,
What parts do you cover up when power washing (if any)? Do you take you aircharger off?

Bomber.
'94 Stealth R/T

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Every few months, I just take mine to one of the "wash-it-yourself" places and power-wash out the engine compartment. Recently before I did a lot of the underhood detailing, I got a bottle of Simple Green and went ot town with a scrubby brush (one hf the green ones like most people have in the kitchen) and it really worked great. Can be found in most any auto part store or the auto section of your local Kmart/Walmat/Target/etc.

EricB

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Easy off works great!!!! I did the same thing!!!!! Also guys, for some detailing tips.

Spray Westley's Bleache White on a towel, and go at it on the rubber hoses.
Get some Black Magic Tire Wet. Spray on a shop towel or other non-shedding material. Wipe over the dried rubber hoses.
Use any good vinyl protectant (armorall, sonofagun...etc) on the under hood plastic(ypipe, strut covers,fusebox, battery, stock spark plug cover, spark plug wires, vacuum lines...etc), and then for ultimate shine use the tire wet.
seriously use a toothbrush or Qtip (cotton swab) for hard to do stuff. Textured hoses and the like. Do it once and it will be easier every time after.

·
Curmudgeon
5,523 Posts
You guys using Easy-Off did see the warning on the can about not using it on Aluminum, didn't you? Just wondering, 'cause with aluminum heads and aluminum intake you're braver than me....

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Hmmm... no... sort of skipped that part... but I have no problems... but thanks for being smarter than I am...

Guess I may want to double think this one... what is the warning? Discoloration or does it do some jacked up Alien blood eat through the metal and smoke and stuff???

·
Curmudgeon
5,523 Posts
Urban Legend sez the Alien Blood thing (I don't know how many times I've heard about the Blackman aluminum 426 Hemi turned into a puddle by Easy-Off!). The can says "Pitting and Discoloration". It's certainly corrosive to aluminum, and even if the biggest problem is ending up with bolts that won't come loose I'd stay away from it. Of course "your milage may vary"

·
Lovbyts
3,618 Posts
I have used it on several cars many times with no trouble. I don't let it sit for hours or anything so that might help. I usualy let it sit for only about 10 minutes or so. I'm sure you could just try to keep of off of the intake and consintrage at the botom of the block. It sure cuts the grease.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts