Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this off of the Hughes engine sight...

"Advancing the camshaft, (a lower intake lobe center line number, 104° vs. 108° for example) will generally move the power band down in the RPM range and reduce maximum power somewhat. Retarding the camshaft ( a higher intake lobe center line number 108° vs. 104°) will generally move the power band up in the RPM range and may increase maximum power slightly."

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but is this something that I can do with adjustable cam gears? Trying to learn:bigok:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SCHWEET! That's what I wanted to hear... SO! My next question is, what am I doint having my gears set to +1 intake and -3 exhaust? I figure I'm advancing the intake and retarding the exhaust? Is there a formula that I can use to get a "sweet spot" RPM??? Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
14,048 Posts
I don't know of any formula to figure something like that out. I doubt there would be a general one anyways, every car is different. I may be wrong though.

I think your best bet to get those cam gears figured out is to get on a dyno. That's the only real way to tune them. I don't know where everyone came up with the +1, -3 settings, I'm pretty sure they weren't from a dyno though. That makes it hard to tell if they're helping or hurting.

I helped YOGURT! put his cam gears on and when we were done of course we had to race. Before the cam gears we were pretty even then he would eventually start to walk me. The first time with his cam gears..he dropped to 4th I went to 3rd and he pulled on me. However the 2nd time we both went to 3rd and I walked him.:confused: I'm thinking that that +1, -3 (which is what he had them at) might be the good spot for an increased low end. However at the track you want an increase in top end.

I'm kinda waiting for someone to get on a dyno with these and see what kind of difference they really make.

Terry

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While at the nearby checkers I saw a sign for a Dyno-jet Dyno. I went over there and the guy said that he had sold it.:mad:
I think I'm going to find one in town (Honolulu), I have a good idea of where one might be, but I haven't confirmed it. Can't wait to move back to good old NY. Hawaii has been good, but it's just time to move on... ;)

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Syracuse. I'm not exactly where, but I will be recruiting for the Navy in the city... My Grandma used to live in Avoca. Pretty area.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm down. We'll have to set up a gethering sometime in Rochester, or somewhere around there...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.