Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Excitable at high speeds
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a project about 2 years ago to transfer my engine and upgrades from my rusting '91 to a Florida driven '95 and the end is finally in sight! I intend to use my AEM EMS in the 95, but I know that the wiring harnesses are different between the 2 cars. My car is running speed density (no MAF), and I will create an adapter in the engine bay to accommodate the difference in CAS sensor types between the cars. So, when I connect the EMS to the 95, I think I have a few options:
1. I could start over using the wizard for a '95, and then transfer all of my calibration over. My concern with this approach is that there is so much to transfer I would be nervous to miss something, or that it would just take forever. (Note to self, need to adjust the latency of CAS in this approach to accommodate the 91 sensor)
2. I could change the pin assignments in the software for the wires that are not consistent between the two generations, but I've not done this before so I'm not sure if it will be easy or tedious.
3. I could wire the 95 ECU to match the 91 at the ECU, but hacking up so much wiring seems like a nightmare.

I should also emphasize that with all of the variables associated with transferring and rewiring my entire power train, I'm nervous to introduce any new variables that would make troubleshooting harder. Anyone have recommendations or bright ideas that can make my life easier?

Thank you!!!

Wiring diagram for AEM EMS Series 1 here: https://www.jegs.com/installationinstructions/0/017/017-30-1311.pdf
CAS adapter: Stealth 316 - CAS Conversion

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
I would just approach things like any other 1G/2-bolt swap into a 2G car... use the 95 harness, adapt the CAS, and adjust your "pickup delay comp" accordingly for ignition timing. Connector "C" is mainly a bunch of available pins anyway... nothing particularly required. You will just want to ensure that the same inputs are used for your sensors.

Basically, go with "option 1" that you mentioned. You can "cheat" a bit and use AEM Tuner's "Compare with Calibration" feature to copy your essential data over. Alternatively, just figure out what options/settings need to change with your current calibration to work on the '95... for example, pins 20+21 (LS2/LS9) will definitely need to be changed in the software for fan control on 2G.

·
Excitable at high speeds
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bboyalan! I'm still probably a couple months from this stage, but it's good to have the ideas taking shape before d-day

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,111 Posts
Most welcome! Aside from digging through both Series 1+2 manuals, I compared a 1G and 2G tune on Series 1 to at least determine that bit. You can probably compare the provided "base" maps if you want to gain more insight on your end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts