Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
Mine AE is stuck (hear the motor but no change in exhaust operation) and I don't know in what mode. The exhaust is coming out only from the drivers side. I assume that is the quiet ("tour") mode, but I also heard otherwise. Ofcourse I'd rather be in a less restrictive "sports" mode. But where the heck is the valve and the actuator?
Thanx for advice.

Vadim

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
Actually when it comes out of the one side it is considered sport mode because it is a little louder. When it comes out of both sides it is a little quieter and considered tour mode. Mine works fine and that is how it works. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You sure Paul? That doesn't seem to make sense, cuz, sport/performance exhausts are almost always dual. Admittedly, the stock exhaust is never really evenly dual, most of the time the drivers side dominates in either mode.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I will second the advice given above. Sport mode exhaust only comes out one side, touring it comes out both sides. Seems ass backwards but that's the way it is. Mine was stuck in tour mode and exhaust was coming out both pipes. When the exhaust was taken off and the valve unstuck we confirmed that is was in tour mode. There exhaust splits into two pipes before the muffler, 2" pipe and a 3" pipe which has the butterfly valve. When in tour mode all exhaust goes through the 2" pipe. When you reach 3500rpm or switch to sport mode the butterfly valve opens up.

Kevin

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What makes you guys think that sport exhaust should be dual? Ever heard of 'straight through' muffler designs/ exhaust piping?

Any restriction to the exhaust flow impairs performance.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. At least I'm in Sports.
But logically, flowing through two mufflers should be less restrictive. Think of two equal electrical resistors connected in parallel, result - half the resistance of each. I guess it's 2" vs 3". Anyway, with the valve open, the gases find the path of least resistance.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Yes, if its all right with you guys, I'm going to keep thinking duals is sport. Otherwise, me and my mechanic wasted our time manually putting the stuck valve into tour. And that would be stupid, and I'd never do something stupid, right?
Although most performance exhausts focus on becoming true duals with a balance tube, the point is well taken. Many sport bikes have performance exhausts which remove the duals, and have a single (but well flowing and balanced) pipe.

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited December 30, 1999).]

·
Lovbyts
3,616 Posts
I agree that it makes more sense to have it coming out of both and that is the way I keep mine and all cars I have had in the past (Hot Rods) we always did dual exhaust and it was considered sporty; the only reason I can figure for them calling it sport is because of the sound. It is a little louder and sounds sportier in sport mode. Stupid I know but I would bet that is why. Tour is quieter for touring around town. What ever, I got rid of it all together and my muffler and went with new cat back with dual tipped resonators and it sound twice as sporty as before and has the nice European sport car sound without being loud or obnoxious.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vademon,
You have to remember that in tour mode, it is in series, not parallel. It enters the drivers side muffler, and instead of exiting directly, is then directed down a (really small pipe to the passenger side where there is a resonator and then it exits. Coming out the driver side, it only has to flow through this muffler and bypasses the 2" (or 1.75" whichever it is) pipe altogether.

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
For the record everyone, sport mode has exhaust coming out both sides, and tour has it coming out only the driver side. I went to the dodge dealer today, and asked them about it. That's the info I got. The mitsu dealer is right next door, and I also went there to make sure they weren't bull shittin. They told me the same thing, both the parts and service department. My door is stuck in the tour mode, and the cable already snapped from trying to open the door. They said the best way to try to get it open is to use rust penetrant and manually pull the cable right from the door. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on doing it tomorrow.

Jason
92 Stealth TT

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stupid question: Does the ActiveExhast were all talking about have anything to do with the ECS button, or is all of this talk seperate from ECS?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts