Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a '93 VR4. I have the ECS button on the dash, and I have the sport tour button to the right of the steering wheel which I believe is for the active exhaust.

Right now, my sport tour light to the left of the steering wheel flashes on and off. My questions are:

1) The light that is currently blinking, is that for the ECS or the active exhaust? Obviously something is not working, but is it the active exhaust or the ECS?

2) When pressing the sport tour switch for the exhaust, is there supposed to be a light that comes on telling me that active exhaust is on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would guess that your ECS light is blinking due to either a disconnected wire at the strut a bad ECS control module. Trace the wiring to the struts and see if they look good or something looks off.

Here is the dash picture showing where the active exhaust light should be - Number 31.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just bought a '93 VR4. I have the ECS button on the dash, and I have the sport tour button to the right of the steering wheel which I believe is for the active exhaust.

Right now, my sport tour light to the left of the steering wheel flashes on and off. My questions are:

1) The light that is currently blinking, is that for the ECS or the active exhaust? Obviously something is not working, but is it the active exhaust or the ECS?

2) When pressing the sport tour switch for the exhaust, is there supposed to be a light that comes on telling me that active exhaust is on?
You're going to get a lot of advice about these issues. The exhaust tour light is in the center of the cluster. You should hear a little motor in the back of the car and a noticeable change in exhaust tone. Many times, the mechanism will seize up.

The tour/sport flashing light means that either the ecs computer has issues OR one of the 4 struts has a poor connection, corroded connection, broken wire or another issue. In my car, the harness connector to the passenger side rear strut needs to be wiggled once in a while.

You'll also note that there were capacitor issues in the first generation where they need to be replaced including in the ECS. The ECS computer should be in the passenger rear corner attached to the outer body of the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So originally I had the sport and tour light flash intermittently. I swapped out to a different ECS module (one that I bought on Ebay with an unknown condition really cheap - I'm guessing it may have been broken?) so now I have just the sport light flashing. Does this mean I need the ECU rebuilt or a new one?

·
Registered
437 Posts
So originally I had the sport and tour light flash intermittently. I swapped out to a different ECS module (one that I bought on Ebay with an unknown condition really cheap - I'm guessing it may have been broken?) so now I have just the sport light flashing. Does this mean I need the ECU rebuilt or a new one?
By the way, now many miles are on those struts? Since you can't really replace them any more, you may not need to have the module rebuilt. But if the mileage is reasonable, have the ECU rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Open up the ECS module and look for blown capacitors or leaking capacitors. I've repaired a couple of those modules already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts