Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've wanted a 3000gt for a long time and i decided to get a bit of a fixer upper as my first car a few weeks ago it's an 1991 SL automatic with 150k miles and bone stock asides from the exhaust. the car has trouble accelerating from 0-40 it gets there just a little slow and often times after the cars been driven for a while or even after cold start the car won't go above 40mph or sometimes 60 the engine will sort of sputter and if i let off the gas it won't cap the speed unless i pull over and start the car again. and if i floor it beyond the sputtering there is zero throttle response whatsoever and the car doesn't accelerate again until it gets back down to 2000rpm i've been told it's many different things like a throttle body to a bad tranny i'm just wondering if anyone's had this same problem or if they might have any idea because i value this car a lot and id like to fix it up! i also would like to get involved in the 3000gt community and pick some of your brains among other things!

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,197 Posts
Welcome and what an interesting choice for a first car lol. It sounds like the car could use a serious "tune up" all-around and a thorough inspection from someone experienced with a 3/S.

You are going to be told "many different things" because there are many different possible culprits. Actual testing and diagnostic work will help guide and reveal which areas actually need work. It could be as simple as basic maintenance items for an old car, such as a fuel filter, spark plugs, trans fluid, and replacement vacuum lines. It could be a little more "complex" with a mix of problematic sensors, such as oxygen, coolant, and mass airflow. Beyond that will be particular items known to 3/S, such as the ECU.

Were there no receipts or documentation of maintenance history? If not, you will just need to assume that you are working with a blank slate of 150k original miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Welcome and glad to see another.

Had a similar issue as yours, but doesn't sound exactly like it. Every maybe 1 out of 5 drives, mines sputtered between 2-4k rpm randomly on any random gear (vr4). It wasn't like the car wouldn't go at all, but it felt like it was bogging down. After going through quite a few trials and error, it ended being my TPS (throttle position sensor).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts