Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Lovbyts
4,510 Posts
I normally dont say this but that sounds like it might be rod knock. Its not loud but definitely sounds deep, low end. Just to make sure first check to make sure your timing belt isnt hitting anything and then check your flywheel. There has been several cases in the past where one or more bolts came out of the flywheel and it was making noise.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I normally dont say this but that sounds like it might be rod knock. Its not loud but definitely sounds deep, low end. Just to make sure first check to make sure your timing belt isnt hitting anything and then check your flywheel. There has been several cases in the past where one or more bolts came out of the flywheel and it was making noise.
The engine was rebuilt last year.

· Registered
727 Posts
The engine was rebuilt last year except for the pistons, crankshafts, and valve train. I also installed a new clutch. The piston rings, rod bearing, and main bearing are also new.
Drain and inspect the oil. Check the oil filter for "bits".

Just because a mechanic did the work, doesn't mean it was done right. Nor does it mean the cause of the inital failure was found and rectified.

· Lovbyts
4,510 Posts
Okay. I also suspect that it can be valve lifter tick.
That doesnt sound like valve lifter tick that I have ever heard and mine gets pretty loud after sitting for a couple of weeks. I have the 3rd gen lifters and honestly it didnt make much of a difference IMO. Revenge sells some no tick lifters. I havent heard a lot either way about them but may be worth checking if/when you change them.

If you already did bearings and all that I would first check the flywheel like I mentioned earlier to see if any bolts cam loose or out and pressure plate.

You know our cars have a pretty bad history of bearings going bad even shortly after being replaced. If that ends up being the case make sure your oil pump has good clearence. The main reason seems to be dented oil pan.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That doesnt sound like valve lifter tick that I have ever heard and mine gets pretty loud after sitting for a couple of weeks. I have the 3rd gen lifters and honestly it didnt make much of a difference IMO. Revenge sells some no tick lifters. I havent heard a lot either way about them but may be worth checking if/when you change them.

If you already did bearings and all that I would first check the flywheel like I mentioned earlier to see if any bolts cam loose or out and pressure plate.

You know our cars have a pretty bad history of bearings going bad even shortly after being replaced. If that ends up being the case make sure your oil pump has good clearence. The main reason seems to be dented oil pan.
Okay I will check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts