Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been on this forum before… I crashed my 2015 Q40 with less then 60000 miles. The engine was untouched by the crash but the car itself is totaled. My 3000gt (99 NA 117698 miles) has a good strong engine but not the power I’m looking for… I figure it would be quite the task to get my Infiniti engine swapped over but wanted some input in cost and overall difficulty. The Infiniti was RWD and the 3000 is FWD causing some conflict for sure. Open for discussion obviously. Thank you for participating

· Registered
95 VR-4 Spyder
383 Posts
Go over to the NA upgrade bible, throw some of those things at it. Gonna be cheaper and a world easier if your NA engine is solid right now. Can push it hard if you want and reach the hp the VQ37 will put down(I think that's what the Q40's had? Same as 370z?). Then if you blow that one up you can undertake the long arduous task of switching them over. Familymans LS swap thread will tell you pretty much everything your gonna have to change to get it to work. Near the end I think he was basically running RWD as well, despite working tirelessly to try and get the AWD to work well.

Hell you got both engines, you can just measure them real quick to see if you'd have to go into the firewall, I think dimension wise on the engine, they're close, but I don't know about the transmissions, I bet the bellhousing will have to go into the firewall a bit.

If the Engine is good on the Q40(and I mean actually good, as in you've gone through it), might look for a shell to drop it in on something that's easier to work with, such as a 350? I think it'd be cheaper then trying to swap it over to the 3000 in the long run...and lets face it, parts for a 350/370 are way easier to come by.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go over to the NA upgrade bible, throw some of those things at it. Gonna be cheaper and a world easier if your NA engine is solid right now. Can push it hard if you want and reach the hp the VQ37 will put down(I think that's what the Q40's had? Same as 370z?). Then if you blow that one up you can undertake the long arduous task of switching them over. Familymans LS swap thread will tell you pretty much everything your gonna have to change to get it to work. Near the end I think he was basically running RWD as well, despite working tirelessly to try and get the AWD to work well.

Hell you got both engines, you can just measure them real quick to see if you'd have to go into the firewall, I think dimension wise on the engine, they're close, but I don't know about the transmissions, I bet the bellhousing will have to go into the firewall a bit.

If the Engine is good on the Q40(and I mean actually good, as in you've gone through it), might look for a shell to drop it in on something that's easier to work with, such as a 350? I think it'd be cheaper then trying to swap it over to the 3000 in the long run...and lets face it, parts for a 350/370 are way easier to come by.
Fair, the engine is good and turns over the car just has frame damage I honestly didn’t think about dropping it in a Z , they do share the engine. I have a few upgrades to my 3000 but from what I’m hearing the Sohc can’t push that much power without a TT kit.

· Registered
47 Posts
No, it was more to test the water and see if there was any compatibility. I do a lot of work on my car but I have yet to attempt a motor swap.
It might be doable but not something I'd attempt as my first engine swap. It would require a lot of work, problem solving, research, and probably cutting sheet metal, fabricating and welding.

As was mentioned, you'd be better off buying a shell that will fit your VQ37 motor and doing that as your first motor swap project.

· Registered
47 Posts
I’m aware, which is why I was looking at kits… I don’t plan to twin turbo for sure, if anything I’m looking to go single turbo after I finish all the pre install mods
That's pretty cool! Sorry, I saw TT and just assumed. I'm surprised there's turbo kits for the SOHC. I know it's been done, just didn't expect there to be kits still.

Do you plan on running a quiafe LSD with your setup? I just ordered one for the TT conversion on my fwd DOHC. There's only guy in north america who still sells the speedo gears for them. If you need his contact info lmk.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's pretty cool! Sorry, I saw TT and just assumed. I'm surprised there's turbo kits for the SOHC. I know it's been done, just didn't expect there to be kits still.

Do you plan on running a quiafe LSD with your setup? I just ordered one for the TT conversion on my fwd DOHC. There's only guy in north america who still sells the speedo gears for them. If you need his contact info lmk.
I haven’t thought that far as I’m currently on a painting project, going to be jet black. Right now is all just planning for future mods as I’m just 6 days away from this nightmare painting project. My buddy laso just picked up a 94 which comes with the dohc so I’m going to see if possible selling mine and getting a dohc is a viable option. Mine has 117000 miles on it with full maintenance records so I’m a worried about parting with it. (I bought it for 5000$) I put a lot of time money and effort into this car already so it’s up in the air. I don’t know if we are allowed to post our instagrams here but I’d love to keep in contact as you seem more educated than me and I would love to ask you questions!

· Registered
47 Posts
I haven’t thought that far as I’m currently on a painting project, going to be jet black. Right now is all just planning for future mods as I’m just 6 days away from this nightmare painting project. My buddy laso just picked up a 94 which comes with the dohc so I’m going to see if possible selling mine and getting a dohc is a viable option. Mine has 117000 miles on it with full maintenance records so I’m a worried about parting with it. (I bought it for 5000$) I put a lot of time money and effort into this car already so it’s up in the air. I don’t know if we are allowed to post our instagrams here but I’d love to keep in contact as you seem more educated than me and I would love to ask you questions!
I'm not on insta but you can also post on the 3000gt subreddit. I'm there too.

These cars are 30 years old. A DOHC is going to need work done no matter how well it's been maintained. And with the DOHC you also have to worry about the interference motor.

The 99 3k is the best looking 3K they made. You got one for a good deal. Honestly, just drive it and enjoy it.

And fyi, if you want to turbo your sohc be prepared to spend $$$. You can't just slap on turbos. You'll need supporting mods. plan on $5-7k above your turbo costs for those.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not on insta but you can also post on the 3000gt subreddit. I'm there too.

These cars are 30 years old. A DOHC is going to need work done no matter how well it's been maintained. And with the DOHC you also have to worry about the interference motor.

The 99 3k is the best looking 3K they made. You got one for a good deal. Honestly, just drive it and enjoy it.

And fyi, if you want to turbo your sohc be prepared to spend $$$. You can't just slap on turbos. You'll need supporting mods. plan on $5-7k above your turbo costs for those.
Yeah I was prepared but I’m honestly learning a lot about cars really fast, doing my research has helped alot and asking questions. I’ll do what I can to improve the car to offset some labor cost

· Registered
47 Posts
You mean a '99 VR4 is the best looking? A '99 SL or base doesn't look much different than any other NA '94-99 3S.
You're wrong. The only exterior difference between the 99 VR4 and SL/Base was the combat wing, wheels, and badging.

The 3000gt got a facelift (stealth wasn't made anymore) in 99 and all models got the new front bumpers, turn signals, headlights, and sail panels.

I personally am not a fan of combat wings so I like the SL/Base styling better, but to each their own. I think the 99 fronts are the best looking, second to the 1st gen Stealth RTs.

· Science, bitch!
1992 VR4
964 Posts
You're wrong. The only exterior difference between the 99 VR4 and SL/Base was the combat wing, wheels, and badging.

The 3000gt got a facelift (stealth wasn't made anymore) in 99 and all models got the new front bumpers, turn signals, headlights, and sail panels.

I personally am not a fan of combat wings so I like the SL/Base styling better, but to each their own. I think the 99 fronts are the best looking, second to the 1st gen Stealth RTs.
Thanks for the info, newbie. I know all of that. I still say the differences between all 2G/3G 3S' are minimal. 1G to 2G was a big change, 2G to 3G is such a small difference that it doesn't matter to most people. And I think the 1G is the best looking by far, but who cares?

· Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the info, newbie. I know all of that. I still say the differences between all 2G/3G 3S' are minimal. 1G to 2G was a big change, 2G to 3G is such a small difference that it doesn't matter to most people.
Newbie. Lol. Ok. Been lurking on this forum and wrenching on my 3S for five years and on cars for 25 years. You were the one that brought up the '99 vr4 specifically. If you really knew all that why not just say the combat wing? Weird flex but ok.

And I think the 1G is the best looking by far, but who cares?
Apparently you, since you commented in the first place.

To each their own. Taste is subjective. I like the 99 bumpers the best, but that's just, like, my opinion man.

99 bumper conversions were a decently popular forum topic for a reason, and there's also a reason 3sx sells their own version of them for all gens - A lot of people thought they looked better than previous gens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts