Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I know says it isn't possible, but I have to ask anyway. Is it possible for a new oil cap gasket to significantly raise my oil pressure?

I put in a new oil cap gasket a week ago. Jumped in the car afterwards to go somewhere, put the car in reverse it goes nowhere, turns out I had a bad shift fork. Took the car to the tranny shop (1st & 3rd still worked) and I just got the car back a couple days ago. Ever since then my warm oil pressure at idle is always on the 2nd big mark from the bottom (nearest big mark to the center) and almost to the next big mark when cruising at about 3k on the tac. Before now my oil pressure was normally 3 small marks from the bottom at warm idle (it's up at least 1/3rd of the gauge from where it used to sit).

I can't imagine why the tranny shop would have changed the oil, all they did was tranny work. But also I haven't heard the slightest sign of lifter tick since, which I normally have a slight case of.

Often oil caps are breathers, so it can't make a difference, right?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I am not mistaken, I suppose the proper oil pressure while the engine is running should be somewhere between the second big mark and the third big mark and the low mark and the high mark is the first and fourth big mark. I think I read from somewhere that thats the optimum oil pressure while its running. But about the warm oil pressure while idle, it should be at the first three small mark. So your oil pressure is still okay I guess.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Logically, there should be no correlation between oil pressure and an oil cap gasket.

Unless, maybe, the gasket has come loose and has plugged up your filter.

Okay, so maybe there are *some* times when the gasket can mess with your pressure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts