Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are so many automobile educated people on this board I hope this will actually turn into a on topic post.There are B.M.W.s running 12:1 compression.I've seen street tuned cars in mags running 12:1 with alky injection.What has to be done in order to do this?Do you need more fuel? Do you need a way to retard the timing?Will the car respond better to basic mods with higher compression?Would the difference be worth the amount of time and work?The 3.0 300h.p. B.M.W. is proof it can be done and I know that car was designed from the ground up to make that kind of power. I don't think this is possible on our NA cars and still be streetable but 260-275 would be nice.Is there that much untapped power to be found without nos or a turbo?What about making it through daily driving?I built a 55 h.p. V.W. engine to just over 100h.p.all motor. That is considered Micky mouse compared to some of the street V.W.s built to over 200h.p. I know the aircooled aftermarket is huge but shouldn't the same principles apply?

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
Ive got mine at 11:1 and it runs on pump gas, unless I hit the nitrous. Then I have to add a bottle of octane boost.

I guess if you wanted to go all motor at 12:1 all you would have to do is keep the octane is your car at about 101 or so.

And as far as fuel goes I dont think you would have to upgrade the stock setup. With the smaller combustion area you will actually use less fuel. The horsepower increase wouldnt be enough to upgrade unless you start to lean out at higher RPM's.

I am hoping to get mine dynoed w/ and without nitrous so I can see how much the actuall compression bump and headwork have done for my motor.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hollywood, does your car run any hotter with the higher compression?Are your valves stock size or are they larger?

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
The temp stays normal, and the valves are still the same size. ( I think? ) I cant remember if I changed those out, probably it cost $1600 just for me to do the heads. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
856 Posts
hollywood - go post your head info in the "N/A head work" thread under modifications. this is a topic that i think isn't discussed nearly enough by the n/a guys.

.jon

·
Wizard of NOS
1,047 Posts
jon3k said:
hollywood - go post your head info in the "N/A head work" thread under modifications. this is a topic that i think isn't discussed nearly enough by the n/a guys.

.jon
Ill have to dig up the paper work on what all was done to it, the thing I remember most was the pain in the ass I had to go through trying to get good valve springs. The tension was so inconsistant, I had to order two diffrent sets so I could get one set that worked.

I made sure everything in my motor was completely balanced!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts