Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lat 42 Performance
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem – 1g Owners cutting up their bumper to fit a front mount
The solution – the revised OE bumper from Lat 42.
Don’t think of it as an aftermarket bumper, think of it as an improved original.

Key information:
Looks and fits like an original piece – factory height, keep your AA, body lines match. Keep your original turn signals. They’re recessed like stock, but the indent is shallower for a sleeker look.
-Improved cooling to your FMIC and/or radiator
-No mustache or mitsu emblem
-Must cut middle of crash bar, but no need to modify headlight buckets
-saves some weight

possible add ons
Shroud to improve air flow to FMIC
fog light inserts with ducting

(excuse the mismatched headlights, my car hasn't decided if it wants a flipup conversion or fixed lights)

I originally wanted to do ABS plastic, but headlight sales are slow and it’s not feasible. I’m looking into doing a flexible FRP reproduction. I’d need to get 3-5 COMMITED BUYERS that are willing to pay up front and wait a couple months for the reproductions to be made and shipped out.

Pricing – between $300 and $400 depending on the number of committed buyers. I’m also willing to offer discounts to people who buy a bumper/headlight combo. So let's make it happen!

Thanks,

Kurt S.
Latitude 42 Motorsports

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
Nice!! Will the pop up projectors fit in stealths??

·
"INFIDEL"
337 Posts
Looks great! Just had to do a little hacking of my 1g bumper for my FMIC to fit properly. Only if this was posted a week earlier. LOL

·
Registered
420 Posts
looks really good. I'm a 2nd gen owner so don't need it but like the quality a lot from the looks of it. Also a fan of the headlight conversion.. if i hadn't totaled my first gen i would have gotten a set.

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts
Im loving the no mustache thing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This looks amazing! I'd like to see it body color with the fixed-lights, could give the front end of the 1st gens a whole fresh new look. Definitely looks great and like it could be stock.

·
kaizoku
569 Posts
Wanna see some painted ones w/ photos of the lines, how much of a discount if we already purchased the lights?

·
Lowers the collective IQ
102 Posts
This looks amazing! I'd like to see it body color with the fixed-lights, could give the front end of the 1st gens a whole fresh new look. Definitely looks great and like it could be stock.
Check his website, I know it used to have pics of the prototype bumper with the fixed headlights in the pictures he used for the fixed headlight group sale.

Just wondering - how much would the combo price be for the fixed lights + bumper? I'm going to need a new bumper at some point and my lights are making a "clunk" sound, so may as well do the full upgrade when I have the money (kinda need to get it moving first...).

·
Formerly Carnage VR4
5,285 Posts
Looks great! Love what you're doing. Any deals for locals? ;-)

-Matt

·
Registered
233 Posts
That looks sick!
I'm in the market for new bumpers but I really wanted stockers. this is a good alternative, wonder what it'd look like without a FMIC and stock foglights!

·
Lat 42 Performance
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the comments and feedback.
Here's an update on the bumper. The NG is fast approaching and I'd like to have the bumper on the car. I've decided I'm going to paint the bumper and wait until after the NG to contract a manufacturer. I'm looking into two options right now - the first and most likely is to have the bumpers made out of a flexible fiberglass reinforced plastic. They'll be made in the USA by a board member, the same guy that makes my headlight housings. They will have mounting tabs just like a stock bumper. They'll be a bit pricey - like $450 -$500 plus shipping. There will be a lead time of several weeks. The second option is to have them made out of ABS plastic in China. The price is right, but I'd need to order large quantities. I'm skeptical for many reasons, one of which is that shipping bumpers to and from Boston/China probably negates the savings.

I said I would offer a discount for people that buy a bumper and headlights together. The headlights go for $700 a set, and the bumper will hopefully be around $400. I'd offer $150 off the total for a price of $950. That's a ballpark, don't hold me to it.

And as far as filling in the louvers on the sides... It's part of the mold and the bumper comes that way. If YOU want to fill it in or have a body shop fill it in, I'm sure it can be done fairly easily.
It's almost warm enough to get the ol' paint gun out, so hopefully I'll have some pictures of it painted in a couple weeks. What do you all think... black headlights, or matching red?

·
Lowers the collective IQ
102 Posts
I'm thinking that I'll have my VR4 in good running order within the next month or so, hopefully the money I'm "saving" by not driving it will let me save up some of the money I need to replace the bumper. I'm not going to say "I will buy it", but I will say "I want to buy both products and will likely buy both at some point in the future, but I just can't afford it right now"...

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Damn you for making me want my 1g back. damn you. Any shot at making modifications to the 2g? An aftermarket bumper that keeps AA sounds enticing. (And headlamps for that matter).

·
Lat 42 Performance
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't really have intentions of making 2g parts. They already have a larger selection of aero parts than 1g owners. After NG I'll start making my urethane lip/splitter. I'm hoping it will come with an aluminum plate that replaces the active aero under engine panel and still moves up and down. you'll see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts