Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guy! Did the oil change for my car today, I saw lots of little tiny shinny things at the bottom of the pan while i'm emptying it. It looks most likely metal chip but it is very small. I have never pay attention before, this is the first time I see. What do you guys think? Is it normal or it is a potential problem with my engine? Please, don't give me a heart attach but wanna hear whatever you guys think. God please help me, my jean already has a BIG hole in the back. Thanks.
Don94

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh! So is there anyways I can address it if the bearing has gone bad? Thanks alot Brian.
Don94

·
Curmudgeon
5,524 Posts
Don, I hate to ask a stupid question, but are you sure the drain pan was clean before you started? If you're like me you empty the pan but never wipe the dreggs out. No sense getting all fired up over a couple of years worth of accumulated crud..especialy if it's from some ex-girlfriend's '79 Camaro you haven't seen in 3 years!
Try cleaning the pan real good before your next change. Then if there's stuff in it you can worry.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If thier is a problem with your engine, it might not last until your next scheduled oil change. If it were my car i'd clean the drain pan really well then drain and check the fresh oil for metal.
HOWIE RD95SL

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve! I always clean the drain pan after each oil change.
Howard: I will redrain the oil again after couple more hundreds miles to see if any metal chip. BTW, what bearing problem sound likes? My car is loud as hell only at the first time I start it in the morning, but the noise will go away after a few minutes and I assumed this is a lifter noise. Thanks guys
Don94

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
don,
I'd say use mobil 1 synthetic and do a compression test and make sure everything is in specs...I own a 96 Maxima and I, too, found those bits of metal...but that was when I bought the car new...I have no problem now...so I'd say do the compression test first and see what the #s tell you..and use synthetic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts