Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pure Liquid
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a good pair of front 3.5 inch speakers for my car. I'll spend any amount of money so tell me what you think is the best. I've gone to a few stores but they don't sound that great. I was thinking about the infinity kappa 3.23 but have never heard them in person. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
3.5 inch speakers

In my opinion(and this is only MY opinion) there is no such thing as a good sounding set of 3.5 inch speakers. At least I have never heard anything I have liked. I would just stick to door speakers or kick panels.

Alpine,

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
don't waste your time with the dash speakers. Even if they are good they won't sound good because they shoot straight into the windshield. Like Alpine said , concentrate on the door and rear speakers.

·
Pure Liquid
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 1990 camry so all I have is the dash speakers and rear speakers. The dash speakers point towards the person sitting so it is the closest thing to you. I don't think I have other speakers in my car unless I'm just not looking. I went for the Infinity Kappas 3.5 inch for $60.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Kick panels

You should have someone build you a set of kick panels that you can at least get some 5.25 inch speakers in you will get WAY better sound.

Alpine,

·
Registered
287 Posts
kick panels

The kick panels are the panels that are to the left of your pedals by your feet on the drivers side. And in the right hand lower corner on the passengers side.

Alpine,

·
Pure Liquid
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh ok, so I would have to have someone build me something that can be connected to the bottom side of the door? How much do you think something like that would cost? Thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Shop prices

All depends on the shop. And what you want done. Some places are more expensive than others for custom labor. At my store we would probably charge you 250 for a set of custom kick panels or door panels. That is given you bought the speakers from us. Shops usually charge more to install product that did not come from there.

Alpine,

·
Registered
83 Posts
First off, the indash speakers cannot be replaced with 3.5's. The speaker size is about 2.5 I believe. The mounting depth is not too deep either.
Even if they are good they won't sound good because they shoot straight into the windshield.
I highly disagree with that statement. Glass from your winshield will not absorb sound but reflect the waves towards ear level. If anything it may be too harsh, but that is where crossover levels come into play. Dont worry too much about your rear speakers yet, since your front stage is the most important part of a true soundstage. I would suggest buying a nice set of 6.5 in 2 way components (focal would be a nice choice); stick the midbass in the door with a custom baffel & polyfill, and your tweets in a custom enclosure in the dash location. There is a guy on this forum who actually used the lids from spraypaint cans for his tweets and put that in the dash location for a perfect fit.
Although kickpanels would be ideal, using the method above will save you a bundle$$$.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts