Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first time posting but I've been reading posts for quite a while now. I'm strongly considering getting a VR4 this coming spring and I think I've narrowed it down to a 94. But I have a few questions that need answering...

I know about this hybrid computer that the 94/95 cars had and that they are a mix of OBDI and OBDII. I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that this made tuning these cars difficult. Can someone explain that? My goal is to eventually run an ARC-2 in the car. Would that work?

All I've seen so far have been opinions but can someone give me hard facts on the usefullness of the ESC and the active spoilers? I could be totally wrong but if you upgraded your suspension wouldn't ESC be useless then? Basically if the ESC and active spoilers aren't that usefull then they are just adding weight and I'll consider a year that didn't have these.

Are there any differences, besides styling, between the 3kGT and the Stealth? Does one have gadgets that aren't available on the other? Is the insurance man nicer to one versus the other?

Again, I know I'm opening this one up to opinion, but is there a particular year that came better equiped than other years? I notice there are more 94/95 owners out there but is there anything that 96 and up had to offer that previous years didn't?

I was looking at getting a 99 GSX but for the same $$$ I can get a 94-95 VR4. I know the VR4 is a major "upgrade" to a GSX, not to mention 3kGT's aren't a dime a dozen like their little brother. I'm very impressed with the performance of these cars and if it's truly meant to be I'll be yet another VR4 owner.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I will take a shot at some of these questions.

An arc-2 will work on a 94/95. If that is basically the extent of how far you plan to go performance-wise, the ecu wont matter in terms of tuning issues. I might be wrong, but I think the only thing the obd 2 cars cant do that the obd 1 cars can is datalog knock.

ESC and active areo: Eh, I find them both a waste. This is MY opinion. My car feels stable at 120+ MPH if the active aero is on or not. As for the suspension, it seems like 90% of the time itsin sport mode anyhow, so not much there. Thankfully they dont add much weight.

Stealths dont have active aero. 95/96 stealths dont have 4WS either, which some people view as a plus. Those are the only differences I'm aware of besides styling. I know 3000GT's have a slightly higher bluebook value for some reason. No clue on the insurance thing.

96+ got rid of active aero. I think thats it. I think 99's got rid of ECS. I'm not good at remembering this crap though, I could very well be wrong.

Good luck with finding one you like. I'd consider a 93 too - strong engine and driveline, with OBD1 for datalogging, and the cool 1st gen style :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.