Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Flasher
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime in 2017 I decided to pull the trigger on a EVOIII Big 16G setup. I got halfway into it and then ended up letting it sit in the back of the garage for about 2 years.

I finally got back to it a couple weeks ago and finished up putting it together this week. However to my dismay, I learned since I last went to fill'er up, NY no longer sells E85. So here I have a 16G setup for E85, with no E85.

I've already drained out the (bad) E85 from the tank and put in some fresh 93. Adjusted the injector scaling in Chrome and got it running pretty well on jackstands (hasn't been driven yet). In relation to that dilemma, what is my best alternative to running E85? Also, how much power can be made on just 93 octane with a big 16G setup?

As a side question, I am still running an Evo MAF with this setup. I know it must hurt the power output, I'm guessing a lot, but does anyone have any numbers on how much?

Here's what I got so far, still needs cleaned up:

·
Registered
1991 VR4
790 Posts
What do you mean NY no longer sells E85? I did a quick google search and got several hits, am i missing something? I also watch youtubers who specifically drive to NY from CT to get E85.

·
Flasher
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I know. I called all the places within 50 miles of Rochester that I found on those sites. All said they no longer sell it. There was some kind of ban on Ethanol blends over E15 in March 2020.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,194 Posts
On Dmitri's old DR750 v1 setup (2014), the EVO MAFS was a huge, physical limitation on power and boost curve. We did a back-to-back on Pump-93 + WMI after switching to a GM LT1 3" in BT: gained 30AWHP VD U/C (peak) and held 5psi more to redline (550 to 580 before 110L mix and eventually Pump-E85 in 2015) all-else-equal before tuning for more. Even an LS6/Z06 MAF in draw-through will be a huge improvement as shown by many others, including Ray P.

To answer your main question... it really depends on everything else in the setup for efficiency and cooling. 500AWHP is a fairly common and safe number on pump alone. Best alternative is a race mix and/or WMI, IMO anyway.

-Alan

·
Click your heels 3 times
189 Posts
Oh I know. I called all the places within 50 miles of Rochester that I found on those sites. All said they no longer sell it. There was some kind of ban on Ethanol blends over E15 in March 2020.
They still have e85, its definitely by me in Lancaster. I think you're getting it mixed up with them allowing a 15% blend now and not anything more. I believe it use to be 10%.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I heard because of all this nonsense going on they lowered the e content at the pump for hand sanitizer demand. And ct does not drive to ny to get e85. We go to Greenwich ct, waterford ct, or mass pike

Like said above you can easily do 500 whp on 93 with 16gs. How hard were you running them on e85?

·
Flasher
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On Dmitri's old DR750 v1 setup (2014), the EVO MAFS was a huge, physical limitation on power and boost curve. We did a back-to-back on Pump-93 + WMI after switching to a GM LT1 3" in BT: gained 30AWHP VD U/C (peak) and held 5psi more to redline (550 to 580 before 110L mix and eventually Pump-E85 in 2015) all-else-equal before tuning for more. Even an LS6/Z06 MAF in draw-through will be a huge improvement as shown by many others, including Ray P.

To answer your main question... it really depends on everything else in the setup for efficiency and cooling. 500AWHP is a fairly common and safe number on pump alone. Best alternative is a race mix and/or WMI, IMO anyway.

-Alan
Thanks man, good information. Just what I was looking for.

They still have e85, its definitely by me in Lancaster. I think you're getting it mixed up with them allowing a 15% blend now and not anything more. I believe it use to be 10%.
I saw the 3 stations in Buffalo area still on the federal EPA site, didn't mention that in my original post. They're the only ones left in NY.

I heard because of all this nonsense going on they lowered the e content at the pump for hand sanitizer demand. And ct does not drive to ny to get e85. We go to Greenwich ct, waterford ct, or mass pike

Like said above you can easily do 500 whp on 93 with 16gs. How hard were you running them on e85?
I still haven't ran the 16gs at all, was previously 19t's on E85. Ran those to 25psi, one of them broke and here we are. :)

·
Flasher
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Currently, just to drive the car again :D. But ultimately, push the 16Gs as far as they'll go. Upgrade from there if I'm still into it.

·
Click your heels 3 times
189 Posts
Currently, just to drive the car again :D. But ultimately, push the 16Gs as far as they'll go. Upgrade from there if I'm still into it.
Its good to see you still have the car. I haven't spoken to you in years, need a hand with anything, get a hold of me!

·
Flasher
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its good to see you still have the car. I haven't spoken to you in years, need a hand with anything, get a hold of me!
Thanks man, yeah I've been out of the scene for a bit!

To your earlier point, I am being told by a guy I work with that the station I usually get E85 at still sells it but they're out of it right now. I have some more digging to do, maybe I'm not out of luck.

·
Crimson Jihad
2,138 Posts
I know e85 is still readily available in NYC and Long Island. I am in the same boat and have a set of evo3 16g sitting on a shelf in my garage. My car currently has 13ts with all supporting mods to run 93pump, but will either go 93+meth and e85+meth before switching over to my 16g setup. I am also running an evo maf, but have a maft+gm maf combo ready for blow thru setup. A bunch of us are working with Ash Spec who is currently finishing up a Speed Density translator that will work with our cars, he has been running it for quiet some time on his 300zx without any issues, and has so far made a very cool piece. Its basically a more modern and user friendly maft pro or ARC.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
C16 when you want to push the 16g turbos (7-800hp), pump gas for driving around (4-500hp). Simple. Done.

Or if you want to go Balls out, run straight Methanol (M1). It's cheap, but you need a lot of fuel system....get a big aeromotive brushless gear drive pump (7.0GPM should do it), a set of 2150cc injectors, up the base pressure to 100psi. Get a wideband that can read to .60 lambda or lower, get a COP setup, gap the plugs down (LOT of fuel that needs lit), and let it eat!!

·
Click your heels 3 times
189 Posts
C16 when you want to push the 16g turbos (7-800hp), pump gas for driving around (4-500hp). Simple. Done.

Or if you want to go Balls out, run straight Methanol (M1). It's cheap, but you need a lot of fuel system....get a big aeromotive brushless gear drive pump (7.0GPM should do it), a set of 2150cc injectors, up the base pressure to 100psi. Get a wideband that can read to .60 lambda or lower, get a COP setup, gap the plugs down (LOT of fuel that needs lit), and let it eat!!
Or we would rather not be gay and run e85.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
Or we would rather not be gay and run e85.
Well considering he says his local pump is out, giving solutions.

Could also look at ordering a barrel of ethanol. Not as cheap as pump ethanol, but an option until things normalize.

Or we could just waste time with dumb comments.

·
Click your heels 3 times
189 Posts
Well considering he says his local pump is out, giving solutions.

Could also look at ordering a barrel of ethanol. Not as cheap as pump ethanol, but an option until things normalize.

Or we could just waste time with dumb comments.
Or we could have read what I wrote and said its by the gas station near me... since I live not even a hour away.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
well, sounds like his station is out and yours is an hour away; however, could bring some cans with him to fill up to hold him over, so that would work, and he can stay not-gay and run e85.

·
Flasher
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That sounds like it would definitely get me kicked out of the track. :D

So my coworker assures me there is E85 available near him, which is only 15 minutes from me. He said it's about E60 right now, but that's better than none. Also handed me 10 gallons of E85 he needed to get rid of so he could fill up on fresh E85 from PA when he gets his car tuned (he has a 700hp Civic), what a bro!

Drove it down the road today, first time in a long time!

·
Flasher
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Might as well continue using this thread.

Those runs are 26-28ish psi (relying on glancing at the gauge), first 3 pulls out of the garage. Probably a 50/50 mix of E85 and 93.

Looks like plenty of room for improvement.
But that 15 minute trip (WOT half a dozen gears worth) pushed about 3/4 gallon of coolant out the overflow tank, so I'm not yet sure what to do about that.

No other issues so far.

How much boost can these big 16gs push anyway?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts