Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Twin Power Pellets
9,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing some research on these... and I'd also like to hear your guys comments.
AF Meters
I want accurate... but I don't think i'll need to go out and get a wideband just yet... I'm only mildly modified... and I plan to go probably as high as a 550cc injector if the 450cc's don't keep me happy. I was looking at the differences between the Greddy A/F and the Autometer. The Greddy comes with an o2 probe... I don't know how much more accurate it is when you compare it to the autometer. Right now I'm leaning towards the Greddy because I've just read it's more accurate.. but there is not much to validate that. The Greddy is about 200 bucks MORE than the Autometer... and for all intentive purposes... I want to make sure it will be worth it for my setup. Would the Autometer work well enough... or is the Greddy that much better... and if I plan to go beyond the 500hp mark... and go out and buy an AEM.. which AF gauge would work with that thing?

EGTs
These things are pretty hard to find... Blitz doesn't make em... yet.
Greddy has em.. and Autometer has like ONE type. I figure it doesn't really matter which one I get ... as long i just GET one :).
But my question here is .. I heard the probe had to be placed INTO the manifold just before the turbo. My silvia friend told me you had to drill into the manifold while the car was running to prevent damage to the turbos from the metal burrs. What are you guys doing? Are there any steps for this?

Thanks guys.

·
Masshole
1,815 Posts
To do it completely safely you should pull the manifold off and drill it out. Thats the approach I used cuz I put it in during a rebuild. Secondly you could remover the turbo and stuff a rag towards the heads to keep the burrs from goin into it and use a magnet to clean up the mess.(rear manifold) Some people feel safe with putting some grease on the bit to keep the burrs out and hopefully have them all stick to it. I guess its all up to you. I have an autometer I'll see ya if ur interested.
-Paul

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
Just keep this in mind when deciding on gauges: You pay for what you get. There's a reason Autometer gauges are significantly cheaper than others. When it comes to monitoring I wouldn't trust my car with sub-par instrumentation.

·
Little Mauve secret
552 Posts
Autometer??

This is something I have been tossing in my mind a lot lately. I am at the next step in modification...where I will be getting into fuel controllers, larger injectors etc. The statements about Autometer gauges, to me, doens't seem quite accurate. Sure they don't go past 1650 degrees. But to my understanding...if your going beyond that anyway...you could be doing damage. Also, sure it doesn't have the neat peak hold and warning. But how necessary is it?? Nice bonus yes...but for Two EGT gauges...thats almost $400US. I am from Canada, so thats like over $600 for stupid gauges.
Trevor....who in my mind...has the fastest, daily driver out there, uses two Autometer EGT gauges. Is he doing something wrong?? I am not defending one gauge or the other. Looking for more opinions. It seems like getting Greddy gauges is like wearing designer closes. Nothing but bragging rights. Has their ever been a case where Autometer EGT gauges, or any Autometer gauge in general caused an engine to fail, because of faulty readings, or poor performance??

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
The Autometer gauge is a great gauge. Just because you pay more for others doesn't mean SH#$. Autometer has been the standard gauge of choice for drag cars, race cars, musclecars for many years. I have a Greddy EGT in my Stealth only because I got it cheap. I have an Autometer in my Charger and my Laser. The Autometer goes jsut high enough to be perfectly adequate. The Autometer is ever bit as accurate as anyone elses, the kit is high quality and includees everything that you need. The Autometer stuff comes in numerous styles, and I think looks a lot sharper than my Greddy which looks kind of plain, less detail, less sharp. The damn Greddy is in Celsius as well which is a little annoying for an old-schooler like me. The one thing negative about the Autometer is that their probe does seem a LITTLE slower to respond, but again still perfectly adequate. So, for a third of the price, Autometer gets my business.

·
Twin Power Pellets
9,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about the a/f meter comparisons? I think powelsound is referring to the A/F meter.. because the price for the autometer is 60 bucks.. and the greddy is almost 300 bucks.
The EGT's, i'd assume, are a little closer price-wise.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Since when does Autometer make crap? Look in any form of professional motorsports and you'll see Autometer gauges on even the most expensive setups like Top Fuel.

Autometers will go past 1600F...there's no pin to stop the needle. I've actually ran hot enough where the needle was pointing at what should be 1850F. :eek: That's the needle pointing STRAIGHT DOWN!

Autometer makes a 3 different probes. Their "pro" series probe is $166 and it seems to be pretty damn slow on my rear manifold. Their "competition" series probe is $97 and it's VERY responsive on my front manifold. I haven't used their $47 "street" series probe.

As far as A/F gauges go...don't go with Autometer. I've had 2 of them. They're practically impossible to interpret because light a band of 4-5 leds at once. For a non-wideband setup I like Split Second's ARM1. They're expensive but I can see EXACTLY what's going on at all times and they're easy to read at a glance while going down the dragstrip.

My current setup:

Keeps everything centralized so I can see everything at a glance.

·
Bored User
8,535 Posts
I have no experience with Guessometer (Autometer) EGT gauges. I have dealt with their boost and A/F gauges, though. I've experienced a lot of issues with inaccuracy and quality control with them. Sometimes you get a good one, some times you don't. I don't like that gamble.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you ever wonder about you atometer guages, you can send it to them at anytime, and they will re-calibrate them for free. So even if they are brand -new and you want to make sure, send them the guage, and they will re-calibrate it, and you have no worries.

But anything is better than stock.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Spending 2-3 times more for something dosen't always mean you are getting your money's worth;)

I have a mix of Autometer and Greddy. I like them both. I got a great deal on the Greddy Peak hold EGT so I snatched it up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts