Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finnally installed my boost, egt, and A/F gauages. I hooked up the boost and A/F, the EGT will have to wait a while. I am just trying to figure out if my A/F Gauage is working right. At idle or under normal driving conditions the gauge goes between Lean to Stoich/Rich. It speeds up the higher the RPM's are. When I am on the gas it goes to rich. When I let off the gas, (between shifts). It goes rich then lean.

All the readings seem right except for cycling during idle and normal driving. Do the readings supposed to chage that quickly.

BTW anyone know an easy way to install my probe for my EGT. I will probably put it in the front manifold, but it looks like it will take some work.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
That's perfectly normal behavior for an air fuel gauge. At idle and cruise the computer bounces the air/fuel ratio rich to lean constantly. Weird but true.

There's really no truely easy way to install a EGT probe up near the heads where it needs to.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The A/F gauge goes into open loop or closed loop mode. I can't remember. Thats why it fluctuates at idle. You have to get a real time gauge for it to be accurate at idle.

Get someone with experience to cut a hole in the manifold. Then weld on your fitting. Just like a O2 sensor. Try to get it mounted where the tubes collect. This will give you the best heat signature.

WD

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I had bad feeling that the O2 Sensor had gone south.

As for the probe, my problem is that I do not want to drill into the manifold while it is on the car, because fo the turbo. Won't metal shavings screw up the wheel? If I take it to a shop I know that will do just that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah it needs to come off to install the EGT gauge.

WD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts