Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has had their AC/compressor make a loud squweling noise when you start your car. It sounds like the bearing is gone and I was hoping someone would know how to fix or replace the problem. Has anyone had any expierence with this? :confused:

·
McStealthless
1,456 Posts
I dunno man.....

When my old MX-6 did that, they had to replace the bearings in the A/C clutch. Nothing that I could've done on my own, because the compressor had to be vacuumed and and recharged when they were done.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,118 Posts
Just when you start the car or when you rev it up, too? It could be the accessory belt, too, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're describing. :)

·
McStealthless
1,456 Posts
I don't think so....

They were ball bearings riding on the inside of the compressor clutch. Mine got so bad that one of the balls actually slid out of it's chanel and caused the clutch to freeze.... the belt was just spinning on a stationary pulley, it was not a good thing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mine rattles more than it squeals when the a/c is on. If the bearing could be replaced that would be great. You should just be able to pull the a/c clutch and remove the bearing. Then you could get the number off the bearing and get the exact size replacement. But, form what I recall from previous posts the whole clutch is shot and needs to be replaced.

Perry

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
Mine does the same thing in the moning. I get out and spray some "belt ease" all over the belt and pulley and it goes right away. i checked the belt tension and it is fine so it must be a squeaking bearing. Oh well, nothing I can do but cross my fingers and buy earplugs!

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Check to make sure that your harmonic balancer is not coming apart. The outer ring will slip against the inner when the engine is cold. Thats because the material/glue is contracted and not sticky when cold, the rings will slip.

VERY DANGEROUS if it comes off at 7000 rpm.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Well if everything else checks out, and you still hear a squeel under those conditions, then let the motor completely cool. Then manually see if the outer ring turns from the inner.

·
Registered
486 Posts
i had the same problem with three consecutive compressors before i figured out it was the belt. That thing has to be on really really tight.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Here's how you can tell if it's the BELT versus the BEARING.

Use Armor=All (don't use belt dressing, it lasts too long and goops up the belt!!!). Start the car, spray several sprays of Armor all onto the belt, then turn on the A/C. You may need to spray a couple more times.

If the squealing stops, it's a SLIPPING BELT. If it does NOT stop, it's a bearing.

IT's the easiest test you can do, spend 2 minutes and do it before worrying about the worst.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
And that's the rub... the belt can actually be TOO tight as well. I can't remember where I found it (probably Andrew's site) but there's a specification that will tell you how tight...

And be careful, too tight can also put undue strain on the bearing and cause them to go out.

·
Come feel the wrath
1,255 Posts
Maybe you guys can also help me out, cause I'm having similar problems. I hear a loud squeaking noise when the AC is off, but when its on, it goes away. My guess is that the clutch off the air compressor is going bad.

McStealth R/T, or anybody that knows, can we replace the ac clutch without messing with the air compressor? Or do we need to replace the whole thing? From the pictures I've seen, it looks like we can just replace the clutch. Anyone......

john

1 - 15 of 15 Posts